Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:40 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:18 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi forum,

Just recently acquired a G9 turbo

There is a problem with no WIFI detected or Bluetooth. You slide the switch over for wifi and on the screen just says (turning on.) and will get stuck here, same for the Bluetooth. I thought this might be a software issue, formatted back to bare and connected USB and copied over the latest ICS firmware thinking it was a software glitch but still the same problem persists.

I am tempting opening it thinking possibly something has come loose inside, but really do not want to open this if this is not the fault

Any suggestions from out there.

I have googled wifi issues but no one seems to have something like this only weak signal / not connecting to wpa2 etc.

If I do have to open this I can not see any screws so how do you get in to the case without cracking the case.

All help appreciated.

James

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:41 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

morf3h wrote:
There is a problem with no WIFI detected or Bluetooth. You slide the switch over for wifi and on the screen just says (turning on.) and will get stuck here, same for the Bluetooth.

Don't know what you mean about being 'stuck'. Just turning on either Wi-Fi or Bluetooth will do nothing if you do not go into Settings and provide the extra needed information to connect to a specific Wi-Fi or Bluetooth device. It's really not that much different that doing the same things with an Android 'smartphone'... which basically is turn on Wi-Fi (or Bluetooth), have it scan for what it might be able to connect to, and then select which one and provide the needed info to make the connection.

Although there are a few Archos devices that were poorly assembled, it's really very unlikely that any internal connections came loose (due to the small confined space inside almost nothing can move if it was connected correctly to start with).

Even though you COULD find info about how to take it apart with a simpe 'Google search'... if there is an actual fault it would be far better to return the device for a replacement or repair than trying to take it apart yourself (which would very likely damage other things you can not fix in the process).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Quote:
Don't know what you mean about being 'stuck'

Thanks for responding, when I mean stuck I mean hanging... ive formatted it so it comes to the first installation start screen come the third page when it asks you to add the wireless SSID details, no networks are shown, I just have a message on the screen saying turning on... and will sit there, there is never any networks shown or when I have the main unit loaded showing wireless being on ... I know mobiles and android systems very well this has really stumped me!

I have managed to open the unit.. that took nearly 20 minutes the clips are an absolute sod to release! but perseverance got there in the end. Once in I can see two batteries, and a motherboard, on the there I see the black and white cables for the wireless receive like in a laptop but have not attempted to remove it yet! Are one of these power for the card or are they twin Wi-Fi aerial?

Like a laptop is the wireless card a separate item or is the wireless an integrated item on the board with memory / processor etc ?

Looking for a solution to this I am competent in IT and electronics build pc all the time this one has me stumped

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:31 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

If it's the initial setup screen, you can just skip on past to the next one... or wait until it scans (which could take a couple of minutes) to find all available Wi-Fi connections.

Normally, I skip the Wi-Fi setup simply so I can change a bunch of other things that I do NOT like the defaults of (like I do NOT ever want anything I own to say form data or passwords in the web browser, etc.).

I don't remember all the steps on the initial clean start setup screen, but the only things I do remember actually having to set up is the Time Zone, and the screen and tilt sensor (which has to be done on totally level flat surface).

On the other hand, if you've upgraded to the 4.0.28 firmware (or any of the 4.0.2x versions) and then reformatted to start over... well, all bets are off. NONE of those firmware versions work right, and it may not be getting stuck on the wi-fi part, but rather taking off with STUPID file indexing... or who knows what. In which case, you just have to wait a few minutes until it gets done with whatever STUPID crap it wants to do.

If you have (made the huge mistake) of ever upgrading to any of the 4.0.2x firmware versions... I doubt if anybody can help you. That GARBAGE just does not work right period. So, could luck luck in that situation.

[SIDE NOTE: Even trying to return to Archos for repair/replacement now seems to end up with them asking if you are willing to pay a slight extra cost for a G10 device now because they don't have any G9's anymore.]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:40 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Actually, looking back at your 1st post here... "There is a problem with no WIFI detected or Bluetooth. You slide the switch over for wifi and on the screen just says (turning on.) and will get stuck here"...

You said "slide the switch over for wifi" which is something you can NOT do until after you have the device up and running! Then you changed your story to it not being stuck on the initial 1st time start up screen.

Starting to sound pretty bogus to me. And, as mentioned, it's really rather pointless to try to take apart a device WITHOUT knowing how the inside of it is put together to start with.

I'll just assume that IF you did get it opened up you have already accidentally cracked the the screen or touch screen ribbon cable making the device totally useless.

Don't think you're going to find a solution, but good luck with whatever it is you think you are doing (with a device that clearly has no user serviceable parts inside and almost no source of any replacement parts).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:44 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i got same issue with my G10
wifi and bluetooth cannot be switched on
sometimes they can and detect signal.
but there is no network signal even wifi is connected. (the icon is still grey)
i've tried to reformat the rom and install it many and many times
is the chip burnt?
how can i repair?