Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:56 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I was prompted today to download the latest ICS update, which I did. I connected it via USB to install and it started to install then rebooted and now its stuck on the boot screen (Entertainment your way).

I have tried entering recovery mode by holding the + volume and power on but I just get a black screen.

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Me too. Just had to drag the laptop out of the cupboard for the first time in weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Same problem, what do I do?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:46 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Since it looks like Archos has totally botched this firmware release... most likely do to having too many variations in hardware all with the same G9 model name...

I'm not sure if this will help you guys at all or not, but here's what I'd suggest trying...

First, unplug EVERYTHING from the tablet. That includes the power charging cable, microSD card, and anything that you may have plugged in the 3G stick USB port.

Then, press and hold the power button for at least 15 to 20 seconds to make sure it reset and is totally turned off.

Then, first press and continue to hold in the volume up button and then press the power button for about 3 seconds. Keep holding the volume up button in after you release the power button.

If you are lucky, that should get you to the recovery mode screen. If not, try repeating all of the above a couple times waiting about 10 seconds between each step.

If this doesn't work for you then I think your only hope is to contact Archos about getting a replacement. Even if it is past the warranty period, this problem is totally Archos fault and they should have to (or be forced to with a law suit) to correct it!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:05 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

This work for my tablet, try holding down both (+) & (-) buttons when turning it on. Seems to bypass what ever its trying to do. Only thing is you will have to do this every time but at least it gets it debricked.

Big edit here!
Okay, here is how you un-brick your system. Press and hold both (+) & (-) buttons, this seems to make it fall back to a previous version of the firmware (possibly a backup, not sure). Next once you have a booted and working tablet, put a working previous firmware version on it, tell it to upgrade to that and good as new, you've got your tablet working again. Just did all of this on mine, everything is good to go and all my stuff is still there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:04 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

That sounds like they (possibly accidentally) included SDE (the special developers edition, which you can get from the downloads section of the Archos website) in the new firmware.

Maybe they ended up doing that so that they could also upgrade the kernel... then again it could have been by accident. Anyway, the notes for SDE say this:

"""
The firmware must be installed on a unit with a firmware version above 4.0.1 (Ice Cream Sandwich). Once the SDE firmware is installed, powering on the device while pressing the 'volume down' button will now trigger a "Boot Menu". This menu allows to select which operating system is to be launched (Android, the newly installed Developer Edition or the Recovery System). If the device is powered on while pressing jointly the 'volume down' and the 'volume up' buttons, the Developer Edition will be launched. If the device is powered on without any other button pressed, Android will be launched.

Installing a new ARCHOS (Android) firmware WILL NOT remove the SDE firmware. In order to uninstall the SDE, boot into the recovery using the Boot Menu, select "Developer Edition Menu", then "Uninstall Developer Edition".
"""

There were some other notes about it "watermarking" the device and no longer being able to play DRM protected files. Hope that's not true with this firmware!

If you hold the volume down button when you power it up does it give you a Boot Menu choice between Android or Recovery as mentioned in the note above? If so, they've really botched up things because a normal user would not understand how to work with or use SDE.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:25 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

From what happened to my tablet, holding either (+) up or (-) down would trigger a blank screen at bootup. Holding both was the only thing that caused the tablet to do anything useful, and I found that out by accident.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:35 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

sirus wrote:
From what happened to my tablet, holding either (+) up or (-) down would trigger a blank screen at bootup. Holding both was the only thing that caused the tablet to do anything useful, and I found that out by accident.

Holding both doesn't even work here :(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:14 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Avenger 2.0 wrote:

Are you powering it down completely before powering it back up? The way I got this to work was to power it down fully, ensure that both volume buttons were depressed and held in when I went to power it back on. I had it plugged into my computer when I did it (Windows 7 makes some noises as it switched modes, which is how I found out it this would help), so that might be a requirement. I really can't say

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:37 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

sirus wrote:
Avenger 2.0 wrote:

Are you powering it down completely before powering it back up? The way I got this to work was to power it down fully, ensure that both volume buttons were depressed and held in when I went to power it back on. I had it plugged into my computer when I did it (Windows 7 makes some noises as it switched modes, which is how I found out it this would help), so that might be a requirement. I really can't say

I've hold the power button until the small green light goes out (10s reset). Pressed both vol + and - and then power button. Just the green light comes on, nothing on the screen. Same with only vol + or vol -. Tried connected to pc, only power supply and nothing connected. The only reaction is just powering it up without holding any buttons, where it will be stuck on archos logo.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:20 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Avenger 2.0 wrote:
I've hold the power button until the small green light goes out (10s reset). Pressed both vol + and - and then power button. Just the green light comes on, nothing on the screen. Same with only vol + or vol -. Tried connected to pc, only power supply and nothing connected. The only reaction is just powering it up without holding any buttons, where it will be stuck on archos logo.

Hmm, I really don't know what to say to that, this is how I was able to unbrick my system. Only thing I can through out here is that mine was rooted before hand, that its the turbo variety tablet, and for the sake of being thorough, I had removed all SD cards/USB components. If you have done all of that too, I don't know where else you can go with this other than getting a hold of customer support and getting a new tablet. :?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The download is back up, but is a different size

EDIT - Sorry, they have just put 4.0.7 back up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

How about an update from archos. What do I do with my brick? Kind of frustrating that there is no response...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:12 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

You'll probably get more response talking to your brick....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:03 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Got an RMA from Archos, but have to pay all the postage costs to France. Not really fair for a fault from their side...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Let's get Archos to confirm here what's going on officially.

My guess is there may be a bug only for the "old" OMAP4430 1Ghz 512MB RAM non-Turbo, non-ICS-at-launch G9 tablets. Can you confirm here which version of the Archos 101 G9 you are updating?

Do you have 1Ghz, 1.2Ghz, 1.5Ghz and do you have 512MB RAM or 1GB RAM?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Charbax wrote:
Let's get Archos to confirm here what's going on officially.

My guess is there may be a bug only for the "old" OMAP4430 1Ghz 512MB RAM non-Turbo, non-ICS-at-launch G9 tablets. Can you confirm here which version of the Archos 101 G9 you are updating?

Do you have 1Ghz, 1.2Ghz, 1.5Ghz and do you have 512MB RAM or 1GB RAM?

I think the bug is in the new models (manufactured 2012).
I made a Google spreadsheet with the affected serial numbers, you can enter your numbers if you want here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... TJRNXhkZ3c

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:02 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

having a similar issue to everyone else.

stuck on Entertainment your way screen.

Power off then on with vol + (or vol-) doesn't work, just goes to blank screen.

Power off then on with both vol + and vol - shows "SDE installed device will reboot" screen but on reboot it sticks on Entertainment your way screen.

I think Charbax is right, we need some information for Archos, I won't be happy if I have to return it to France and pay for it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:37 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Did any of you resolve the issue? I have ordered a replacement from Amazon. I will not be updating the firmware!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:38 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

bopquar wrote:
Did any of you resolve the issue? I have ordered a replacement from Amazon. I will not be updating the firmware!

Pretty sure it is permanently bricked, as recovery is not working anymore. Had to RMA the tablet. Guess Archos has some special hardware to repair it.