Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:47 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Problems with the HDD
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello, I've a G101 with the HDD and hopefully someone can awsner me some questions.

I've problems when using the internal HDD. The time to spin down the HDD is very short. So the HDD is started and stopped very often. Expecially if an app read/write a massive amount of data.
But this leads to very annoying side effects.
For exaplme when I download files with the browser or MapDroyd via WLAN/UMTS the HDD is spinning up and down and for unknown reasons the WiFi/UMTS connection goes down for a few seconds which lets most time in a stop of the download. The WiFi/UMTS connection works without any problems as long as I don't need the HDD to read/write massive amount of data.

Another example is playing music. I've tried several players and all show the same effect. After a while the music hangs because the HDD needs to long to spin up, when the HDD is running the app can read the data for the next few seconds. While the music is playing the HDD is spin down immediately and the music hangs again after a few seconds.

In worst case the whole tablet hangs because the HDD doesn't spin up while the small HDD icon is shown in the status bar and I've to reset it to get it work again.

I've written several mails to Archos but it seems not of interest for them because I've never get an awnser.

Does somebody have the same problems or is that maybe a problem with my tablet.

Btw. I've installed the latest firmware (4.0.6) from the Archos webpage.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Bump.

This is *extraordinarily* annoying. I run Debian in a chroot on my 101 g9. It runs smooth as silk when the HDD is spinning, but I can't tell you how annoying it is to have to constantly wait for it to spin up anytime I do something as simple as running 'ls'.

Also, I'd like to put a swap file on the HDD, but it's pointless with such a short idle interval.

Any tips or hints would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:05 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

This post describes how to change the HDD spin-down timeout.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It seems that Android resets the timeout value every so often. I'll update when I figure out what's doing it.