Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:32 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:24 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I received a new 101 G9 with 16GB. First impressions are generally positive, but I am hugely disappointed that it does not have a usable USB host port as did my previous 101 from the G8 series. I depended on this for copying media files to and from the tablet and also recharging my smartphone when on the road. Yes, I am aware there is a USB port in the 3G dongle slot, but this is positioned so flatly against the back panel that I can't insert any regular USB devices or cables in it.

For copying large media files, I suppose a workaround is to copy them via a micro SC card, which is doable, but not as handy as doing this with USB stick. But not being able to recharge my phone when I am away from home is a real deal-breaker for me.

Your thoughts on this "improvement"?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:33 am 
Archos User
Archos User

There is a microUSB port on the LHS of the device - yes, the one you also use to plug the charger into. You are supposed to use the cable that came with the device and plug the full USB end into your computer and the microUSB into the Archos.

The full USB port in the back is specifically for the 3G dongle, but there are reports of others connecting other devices to it (e.g. HD, USB stick), but not for connecting to another computer - that would require different drivers in the Archos.

I think it is a pain that I am reduced to having just the microUSB, but I have also got a microUSB male to full USB female so that I can attach other (proper!) USB devices to it.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:10 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for reminding me that I can also just connect the Archos to a PC with the USB cable. Duh!

On the website of Archos, I found this under the specs:
Quote:
USB host: Mass Storage Class (MSC) (Micro USB/USB Host cable sold separately)

Well, I just went looking for one of these cables and found one in a computer store here in Amsterdam for €10.

In case any one is wondering what this cable looks like, photo here.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:04 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Remember to use micro A with usb sticks
micro B is for connecting archos to pc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:30 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Please try the USB port which was made for 3G stick. I have tried it works 100% even with 1 TB external hard drive. or as said above you can buy a USB Host cable .