Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:56 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:32 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

This warning for all the people who want to try the new ICS firmware. This was my esperience:

I have an Archos 101G9. Updated two days ago from Honeycomb to ICS (4.0.5), followed all instruction. Wifi connection was ok, check ok. After the update many things went wrong: no chance to save on external SD card, file manager not responding, some application and browser (like Dolphin) with errors and many other bugs.
I complain with Archos people who didnÔÇÖt made full compatibility test before delivering the new ICS version of the software. :x
To solve: downloaded the previous firmware 3.2.80 from archos website, unfortunately recovery didnÔÇÖt success (power on and volume up pressed together, update firmware option made me in standby for more than an hour). So I had to format (power on and volume up pressed together and option format), lost all my setup and applications data.
At the end of the process I have the 3.2.80 honeycomb firmware working. A full day of extra work to reinstall all the applications and setting.

So my suggestion is: keep 3.2.80 version as it is, donÔÇÖt upgrade to 4.0.5 version. I hope Archos people will fix the bug.
Cheers!
Ricsco

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Did you read the other thread where people are working with a test of v4.0.6 firmware?

Or did you ask for help here with your 4.0.5, you're not describing anything that others have solved.....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:18 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

ICS 4.05 is working well on my G9 but I did a full format before upgrading from HC .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Quote:
ICS 4.05 is working well on my G9 but I did a full format before upgrading from HC .

I made the same, and all problems are gone.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:32 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

deet wrote:

Have you tried to copy a file on external sd card?
Have you esperienced many bugs while normal browsing?
Are all your application working well with ICS, now?
If everything is ok with you I think you are lucky.

Anyway your idea to format the tablet before upgrading is good to avoid problems, but no advise from archos has been posted for this. My bad esperience comes from automatically accepting the default choice to upgrade from Archos, that put me in trouble. I repeat, for me it is better to stay in the honeycomb version. It works perfectly now, after a long day to downgrade as esplained.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:46 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

newsposter wrote:
Did you read the other thread where people are working with a test of v4.0.6 firmware?

Or did you ask for help here with your 4.0.5, you're not describing anything that others have solved.....

Newsposter, sorry but you didn't see the point. I am sure Archos people will fix all the bugs, but (and this is a big BUT), they cannot allow to update to a new version, without any warning. I mean:
1)I accepted the default (didn't format before upgrading because it was not asked);
2)After the update to ICS, I show my tablet not responding as before, with many bugs;
3)I was forced to format, downgrade, loosing all my setting and applications.

If I were a "normal" user, I should have given the tablet back to service, but luckily because I find time to play with this stuff, I solved by myself.

I am curious to know the esperience of other people who tried the new version without formatting in advance the tablet before passing to ICS. It seems from other esperience (see below) that formatting before updating could avoy the problems.
Please try to put an external sd card and copy or download files on it with ICS. If it works, I am glad to know.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:25 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

See the thread viewtopic.php?f=84&t=64252 for all the "bugs" on ICS (i.e. Firmware 4.0.5)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm new user of 101 G9,

and I have a lot of problem with HC, unresponsive screen (sometimes, after re-calibration, works again, and then again unresponsive).

I read other post where they said that 4.0.5 will fix all annoying issues. Now I'm seeing this one that is totally the opposite?

Well I can re-format tablet not a problem because is brand new, I just got it yesterday. So I need to see how to proceed and install ICS; so your recommendation is not to accept defaults; first re-format and then upgrade...

I will try that today