Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:27 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have a new Archos 101 G9 16GB but I can't do anything with it that involves typing because the voice input system keeps popping up. I can't get the keyboard to stay on scrreen to enter anything because the voice entry overrides it.

is there any way to switch off Voice Input? It is one of two input methods listed in the settings but I cannot "uncheck" the box for it. I don't want voice entry so is there any app I can remove if I have to.

This is driving me mad, so help before I smash the thing :)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:14 pm 

dunno if there is a simpler way, but I took the approach of disabling voice search app by settings/app/all/voice search

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks - that did it

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:21 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I'd really like to know how either of you ever managed to make the Voice input feature always come up to start with?

Normally, the only time you would get the Voice input to come up is if you pressed the "microphone" icon... either to the right of the Google Search text box on the top left of the main screen(s), or on the bottom lower right of the keyboard when it comes up to enter text (and the microphone icon only shows up in certain situations for the keyboard).

In either of those situations there's always either a Cancel, Done, or OK, or something that can be pressed on to exit out of the Voice input.

Only other way I can even think of that would cause it is if you either installed a corrupted firmware or installed some other outside software/app and then set it to specifically always use Voice instead of the Keyboard input.

Anyway, how the heck did you people get it to do that in the first place?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Sorry for the delay in replying. In my case I did nothing at all. I switched on straight form the box and the voice input thing popped up every time I tried to do anything that involved hitting keys - so I could click on an app but then when I tried to set up an account and type the email address, the voice input box came up. Cancel button had no effect, so the keyboard would pop up but then pop down again if I made any noise at all. I had done nothing, not installed anything or changed anything.
Eventually I found a way to disable voice input as one of the input methods.
After I'd done this, Archos replied to my e-mail and said to update my firmware - I am not sure whether that would work or not. I didn't try it as I had already fixed the problem and the Archos answer did not mention the problem I had raised. So perhaps the there was a problem in the firmware that was installed in my tablet.
Anyway all solved now and love the tablet. As for voice input, I hate that option as it is too inaccurate, so would remove it altogether if I could.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:46 am 

Now i can guess my problem came from squeezing the top/bot edge of the frame, which on mine can trigger a click on an icon at the bitter top or bot even with no finger near. So now instead of voice search i accidentally invoke home for instance. Like when rotating to portrait in browser. May go away if i did a reformat, but i didn't think that was needed if i loaded ics on a virgin unused device. Maybe i'll try the drastic type of screen recalib.