Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:40 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Archos 3G Stick on AT&T
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:09 am 
Archos User
Archos User

My Archos 3G stick arrived today. Popped in the sim card and plugged it in the 101 G9. Followed the set-up screen (very simple), it searched for providers and came up. I'm using AT&T in the U.S, but I'm not in a 3G service area right now, just Edge speeds, so not super fast, but it works. :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:48 am 
Archos User
Archos User

oh, i KNEW it! (good to know, and thanks!) so where did you get your stick? i found a u.s. retailer on google, but they were marking them up 100%!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:21 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I got it from an outfit called simplyelectronics.net. There price wasn't too bad ($59.95 + $8.00 shipping)....it was the only place I could find that would ship one to me in the U.S.....Now I have to find a cheap data service/sim card for Europe. I can't seem to find any unlimited data packages for Europe....not many choices in the U.S either....I'm just happy that it works....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:06 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

what sort of data plan did you get from at&t? sorry for all the personal questions, but i've been raging quietly for the last few months over the 3g stick in the us, and i'm just so excited that someone's gone and done it! i have a hunch plans might come back down, i heard on the news just yesterday that apparently no one is getting them for any of their new tablets of any stripe because they're too expensive...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:49 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I've been with AT&T (Cingular) for years, I have a $15/month unlimited data (3G/Edge) plan for my unlocked Galaxy S1, that's the SIM card I used in the 3G stick to see if it worked. The 3G stick is kind of overkill since I use the SGS1 as a wifi hotspot for the Archos when not at home, but it would be nice to have another SIM for it, especially in Europe.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I just got the 80 G9 and have been searching for info on the 3g stick. It looks like this will be the only North America option, unfortunately.

With ATT you should only be able to get edge speeds. Can you confirm that (ie have you tried in a 3g area yet)? I'm hoping for some miracle that it has other 3g radios in it that they don't advertise :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:02 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

When the 3G stick is enabled, I notice a small symbol on the lower right side of the screen showing the signal strength bars along with a symbol R for roaming or E for what might be Edge, not sure. I'm in an area where my cell doesn't work, so I have to go up the street about 1/2 mile to test it out....haven't had time to check it out fully yet, but at least it works. With this Sim card in my phone I have seen E, H and 3G speeds so I know it's capable.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:30 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I'm a little wary of putting my sim in the stick, I have a non-smartphone unlimited data plan, and wonder if they could tell if the card was in a more advanced device and either cancel my service and/or hit me with a penalty for misuse of my plan. Well, technically I am misusing my plan now, what with the tethering, but the card is still in the stupid- sorry, I mean "special-needs" phone.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:04 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

My unlimited data plan was initially for a unlocked non-smart phone....when I got my unlocked Galaxy S1, I tried the SIM out and got 3G without any problems....I think they have to "ping" the phone to discover it and it has to be a known brand...my SGS1 is an international version....but who knows for sure....