Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:00 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I am awaiting UPS shipment of my new Archos G9 101 Turbo 250 HDD, ordered through Amazon. I live in the US, and I will update this as soon as it gets here. I'm excited and I have a lot of anticipation. I've had a G8 101 for more than a year, and it's my daily companion. I play games, do email, chat, read pdf's and PowerPoint presentations for school, etc. I take it to class and scroll through presentations during lecture, and I access my university library to read articles. I am buying the G9 not because I don't like my G8, but because I want the ICS experience (and possibly Jellybean...will they be upgrading now that they're "in" with Google-approved hookup?). The UPS site shows that my package is on the way from the local hub to my home right now. I'll be back!

Update 1: It arrived. I almost filmed the unboxing, like those nerds with their endless "unboxing" vids. But I didn't have the patience. I should confess that I was playing Zenonia 3 on my older Archos when the UPS guy knocked. It's charging now. I walked through the setup screens after plugging it in. It connected to my wireless in 2 seconds -- that makes me feel a little optimistic. No lag, it leaps from screen to screen. It looks beautiful. I'm actually following the instructions to charge it completely before using it. I didn't used to do that, but now I want to charge and discharge the batter on new devices a few times, like they recommend. My G8 Archos charges in an hour and a half and keeps the charge for 6 to 10 hours of constant use, which I chalk up to my carefully "exercising" the battery. So I'll be back once it's charged.

Update 2: It's the next morning, and here's my experience so far.
*The tablet was buggy and weird. It didn't calibrate out of the box, and although it connected to the wireless easily, it didn't automatically update. The keyboard was sticking and it kept underlining things, which drove me crazy! Whatever was up with the calibration yesterday (it's fixed now by ICS firmware update) made it impossible to sign into anything. My "name" would look like "n_aam_e" or some permutation of underlinings and double-letters, no matter how carefully I typed. however, I remembered that my G8 was weird out of the box, too, so ...
*It told me there was an Ice Cream Sandwich OS available, then it would ask me if I wanted to download, then it would start the download. And fail. Reboot. Start over. Fail. Fail. Then I remembered that you can go to archos.com and download the firmware updates yourself, and I did that. (Website download to pc, transfer to device by USB, it all takes care of itself.) And it updated to ICS smoothly, and all my problems went away.
*The device is larger than I expected, weighs a little more, but it's still convenient. It charges very fast, and it whizzes from app to app. I have superfast internet and surfing the net is great with this. I knew nothing about ICS, having gone from Froyo to ICS without looking anything up or learning anything about it -- but it's intuitive, and if you're an Android person you find your way quickly. I love ICS, it's very professional and fast and smooth. I switched everything to large letters (and installed Dolphin HD browser, setting "large" fonts as well) so it looks really good to me. I played around with turn on and turn off screen animations, brightness, etc. I want to play with the color level but don't know how. On the positive side, it's fast (no lag at all), sturdy, beautiful, and it's ICS. On the down side, maybe a new bullet point.
*The "dark-sided" things: I wonder what someone less committed would do if they took this device out and it was so buggy and difficult? I knew how to get the update to my pc and fix things, but even that took 45 minutes or so.
I miss the two speakers in back! The one is okay, and with headphones it's awesome. But I miss the two speakers.
The battery got warm once, while I was watching a film last night (which reminds me of the good: Netflix and Hulu and Youtube look and perform beautifully on this thing; more than beautifully, they are superb). I'm going to watch the battery heat issue.
Finally, it does weight a few ounces more than I would ideally choose. I wonder if I would have been better off with the 16GB turbo? My best friend said, "Fool, what are gonna do with 250GB?" And all I could think of was, "have entire seasons of my favorite shows on the device?" Maybe I ought to have had the turbo 16GB, but ... I wanted the biggest, the fastest, the brightest and the best Archos has.
Thus, I am hapy with this device so far. I've only watched one movie, read twenty pages of a book, and installed a Japanese rpg (Aeon Avenger) that is playing in the background as I type this. I'll spend the day with this device, read up on ICS to see what new capabilities I have now, and I am 99% satisfied with this tablet. 1% miffed at the unboxing kerfluffle, updating problem, etc., -- but I am finished with my experience, unless I find something new to say later. Thanks for reading!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

For Banana and Ole, I want to say that I'm hooked on Dolphin HD browser. It's been wonderful for me on my G8 tablet and I love the way it looks and moves on this newer one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:24 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ok, received my G9 101 8gig Turbo (1.5ghz) last week from QVC. A good deal has screen protector, leather case, and pen, all for less than the average retail. So far so good.

Opened the box contents and surprised to discover just how sparse the packaging is. It is seriously austere. Ok I know this doesnÔÇÖt really matter, but the first impression leaves you feeling this tablet isn't just cheap but brown box bare bones. Flimsy cardboard and no love at all.

The screen protector is fine other than the fact that the peel of label on the front side tears away leaving a thin layer of torn paper behind with glue that just won't budge. It's left the protector completely useless.

The leather case, official Archos, is a slip style case, that seems a little too snug for me. You have to be very firm when pushing it into the case and pulling it out again, not helped by the weak build quality of the device.

On to the device. First impressions, not that great to be honest. It's all plastic, even the screen. On my old 70it this wasn't really a problem. The fact it's all plastic, and will actually flex is not very reassuring. The aspect ratio seems odd. Very wide and narrow.

Device booted and calibrated quickly, and upgraded to ICS, this was then followed by a second update.

Really impressed that stock ICS is on the device. No clever menus or bespoke operating system covering what is an excellent OS, although Google obviously takes credit here. Video, music, and browsing are snappy. HD video runs well, although the whole experience is rather let down by a poor quality screen. It's very basic, looks slightly smeary and out of focus at 10" and with too much glare and not enough back light. A shame because this definitely has some processing wellie.

Unfortunately this particular unit gets red hot in the bottom left hand corner after 20mins at the rear of the device and reboots itself with an unpleasant click. It will do this predictably, especially when web browsing.

I had higher hopes for this new G9, and will be sending it back tomorrow for a full refund. I've still got my 70it, it might be less snappy, but it feels right and has lasted 15 months almost trouble free.

Archos are definitely cutting too many corners to keep costs down. The 10" format simply requires better quality screen technology and better quality materials, especially considering there are a number of other cheap devices with this build quality coming out at less cost. Even my sons, gen 8 101 has a better quality build, looks and feels more robust. They seem to have gone from brushed metal premium too cheap and cheerful plastic in a couple of short generations, and IÔÇÖm not convinced itÔÇÖs the right direction for the brand.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

miamorphos wrote:
For Banana and Ole, I want to say that I'm hooked on Dolphin HD browser. It's been wonderful for me on my G8 tablet and I love the way it looks and moves on this newer one.

I concur, Dolpin HD rocks, especially after the last update.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

1. 8gb 101 G9 Turbo (1.5ghz)
2. US
3. Woot.com, 249.00
4. http://www.amazon.com/review/R2PW8HF1T9TXA7/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B005MECHLY&nodeID=541966&store=pc

...Text from review below...

Summary

This thing is outstanding for a budget tablet and easily compares to my 1st gen iPad in speed and functionality. I got the 8GB model with the 1.5ghz dual processor from woot for 249.00. I immediately upgraded it over the air to Android ICS and installed the Amazon market. like all Android devices every app I purchased on my previous tablet was available to download, though I have reached a license limit on several Kindle books. The screen is wider than that on an iPad and feels like it has a larger screen. Video playback is super and crisp, though the sound quality isn't as good as other products. Over all for half the price of an iPad this thing absolutely freaking rocks!

Compared to the iPad

Pro's
* Expandable memory storage, up to 32gb
* Bigger, better, screen than the iPad first and second Gen
* Fast 1.5 Ghz dual processors
* Battery life is excellent for normal tasks, I've managed to keep the thing going all day until bedtime without powering it down or having to turn off the wifi to conserve power.
* It's a GREAT reader for e-books, comics, and the web. The larger screen makes reading comics a joy.
* It supports many more video codecs out of the box without having to buy and install players. Windows avi files are also much smaller and more can fit on the device.
* Runs the Android Market and the Amazon Market (You must install the latter)
* Archos has updated this tablet twice since I got it, first to ICS 4.0 and then to 4.0.3. The last update came within the last couple of days and I'm impressed Archos is working so diligently on the device.

Cons
* The form factor could be better
-->Location of the microSD and power button are adjacent so you might eject the SD card when hitting the button.
-->The SD card protrudes from the unit and is not flush when installed.
-->In portrait mode the volume rocker is on the bottom, resting against your body and is easily moved.
* Battery still not as good as an iPad. The iPad will go two days without a charge, this one might go a day and a half if you turned things off.
* Volume level is off, it could be a bit louder.
* Cases are hard to find at present. Unlike the iPad I was unable to find an Otterbox for this tablet.

Just some additional comments not in the review. I'm finding that installing apps that take control of basic functions may cause instability in the device. (ie. Replacement Virtual Keyboards, Live Wallpapers, Etc)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

101 G9 Basic 8GB
Purchased via Amazon UK.

Review
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cdp/member- ... centReview

Deeply disappointed with this tablet (bought as gift for my wife). On paper it seems to promise so much, but in reality it simply does not work properly. "Not fit for purpose" comes to mind. This is a pity, because I get the feeling that the majority of issues are software / firmware related, rather than hardware.

Started with firmware 3.2.79, and now on current 4.0.5 ICS.
Problems :-
    Touchscreen frequently requires re-calibration. On one occasion screen was continuously reacting to phantom touches, so it was impossible to reach the Settings app to action a re-calibration request!
    Even a correctly calibrated screen is still unresponsive (touch & hold whilst dragging an icon is virtually impossible). Sometimes I need to tap 2 or 3 times on an app to make it launch.
    Refuses to connect to my wifi router (Thomson TG585) after a reboot. Only solution is to reboot the router!
    Web browsing with native browser results in frequent "hangs" or un-commanded reboots. Now use Dolphin HD browser which seems to fail less often.
    Web browsing is absurdly slow (with either browser) - feels like 1980's dial-up. But strangely, downloading larger files (ie, Apps / email attachments, etc) proceed with reasonable speed.
    When keying in form data or URL in web browser, each key stroke takes 3 - 5 seconds to appear in the entry field.
    Skype crashes the tablet whenever video is used (audio only Skype seems to work ok)
    Streaming video (ie BBC iPlayer / ITV Player) works fine for 5 minutes or so, then hangs / crashes / reboots.

All in all, this is not a satisfactory purchase. I did wonder if maybe it was just an unlucky fault with this particular unit, but my cousin also bought one (same model), and it exhibits all of the above issues.

I was hoping that Archos were going to solve this by way of firmware update, but I now think that I should return it to Amazon as it is basically unusable. :(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

firenzaman wrote:
101 G9 Basic 8GB
[list]Touchscreen frequently requires re-calibration. On one occasion screen was continuously reacting to phantom touches, so it was impossible to reach the Settings app to action a re-calibration request!

I installed a screen protector and experienced the same. After removing it the issues went away.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:42 pm 

Or try the drastic style of recalibration posted on the info links sticky topic in general g9 area. Archos.com pages still have the older honeycomb firmware that some prefer to use while waiting for next update.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:08 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

1. 101 G9 Turbo 16Gb
2. UK
3. Amazon
4. No reviews - except what I am writing here

Arrived with Firmware Version 3.2.69 and the on-screen keyboard was a joke - it kept on registering keypresses that I was nowhere near. Plugged in an external keyboard to overcome that.

Connected to my Netgear router, no problem. Immediately announced firmware upgrade to 3.2.80 which installed with no problems. The Archos site also had 4.0.4-TEST which I downloaded but decided NOT to use - I'm not a Beta-tester for Archos.

Installed some apps from Market/Google Play, used the machine for a month or so. Overall, very pleased with it but have the same issue as others with things like the SD card sticking out, position of Volume control buttons, etc.

Installed Firmware 4.0.5 on 25 April and immediately hit several of the problems as outlined in the thread viewtopic.php?f=84&t=64252 viz:

Various freezes and reboots
    SD card not writable
    GPS not working unless connected to Internet

Reverted to 3.2.80 which necessitated Recovery Mode ... Format ... Reset Android, so I lost all my installed apps and settings. Wasted a complete day with this sequence, but at least it is working again. I will stay with 3.2.80 until there is a usable version of ICS. I will also check out the xda developers site to see what I might pick up from there.

I shall be very wary of future updates from Archos and check reports from others first. Very glad I found this forum!!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Got my G9Turbo 1.5GHz 1mb 250GB a week ago, from Archos shop, and am UK based.
It replaces my 250gb A70.
Updated to 4.0.5 immediately, found my wireless fine, and the only isssue I have found were heat generation lower left, and reboots when trying to do media synchs through ES File Explorer. Now on 4.0.6, and it all.seeme to have settled down well, battery life is excellent on my commute to work (1hr 15 each way) listening to music and playing games, i finish up with 60%+ when I get home. A70 was 30%. I like the interface and slickness of operation. Happy camper.

UPDATE June 8. Device gone back under warranty, screen has completely fritzed...replacement delivered Tuesday 12 . No complaints from me

A70H

Last edited by botheras on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

A101, 1.5 Ghz, 250gb.
UK
Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007 ... 00_s00_i01

I'm a constant lurker here and rarely post but I thought I would give something back, if only a review.

I owned a 16 gb G8 101 before this which i broke accidentally by standing on it about 6 months ago. The G8 was in my opinion well worth the money I paid for it, but it always left me wishing for a bit more. More speed, more memory, more app space, more degrees of screen visibility, more everything. But I still liked it. That said, when it came round to G9 I was hesitant, android tablets had come a long way since then. Ipads are cheaper and windows 8 tablets are around the corner.

But what I wanted mostly this time round was storage space. So I could have more than 1 lonely HD movie on it. More than half a season of some show in xvid. I'm a busy guy and on my G8 it pissed me off having to transfer things on to it almost every night, which to be honest I wouldn't actually do, so It never got used as much as I wanted to. Apple didn't even bring out a 128gb version for the new ipad, which was ridiculous. And it's looking like the first wave of windows 8 tablets are all going to be low powered ARM devices with probably a maximum of 64gb (maybe 128gb, i think there's a couple of android tablets out there with 128gb storage). Either way, it's not enough, and besides that, Ipads are a waste of time anyway. You pick one up ready to be excited by the nice shiny thing in your hand, but it literally does nothing of interest. You can't do anything. Windows 8 looks great but i think the hardware manufacturers are still a year off before it becomes worthwhile and I can't wait that long.

For me my tablet usage is 80% video, 10% internet and IMDB app sofa browsing, 10% random games and other miscellaneous messing about.

My G9 is only a week old now and I absolutely FREAKING LOVE IT! It's like the G8 I dreamed of. It's fast and snappy, and the screen viewing angle is fine and the build quality is great. It's the 250gb version so it feels heavy and solid when my G8 felt relatively flimsy. Although the video library app is no xbmc it is pretty damn good.

I updated to ICS instantly without touching a thing and have had absolutely zero issues, flies like a dream, never complains, battery life is always at least 60-70% after at least 2 hours of HD video on full brightness. Websites load instantly. Streaming 720p over wireless is flawless. There is zero reason to fault this. It does everything perfectly. And flash works too! Couldn't be happier. I laugh in the face of my housemate Ipad 2 and Ipad 3 owners as they sit there doing nothing on their tablets and i have a personal media and internet powerhouse in my hands.

An edit to my review. I have now owned the tablet for 5 months approx.

I am still happy with my tablet, however I have reverted to 3.2.80. I would suggest everyone do this. ICS was overall fast and snappy but it has the awful screen sensitivity issue where you can't scroll properly through lists and websites. I had to calibrate the screen often and I had the common issue where the tablet became unusable below 50% battery life because the screen stops responding to touch input.

Reverting to 3.2.80 fixes all this. And really I'm not sure what features if any i'm missing (though i have noticed I can't download absolutely all apps as they say "not compatible"....but they're not very important apps to me. It runs smooth, scrolls fine...and battery goes down much lower ( i think it still conks out about 20% or so but I don't let it get that low really and so haven't enough data to know). Still a happy customer.

Last edited by oxonium35 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I would highly suggest instead of Opera or Chrome, Dolphin Browser HD. It is the only Android browser that is frequently updated and works well with Android tablets. When setting up the browser, it will ask for you to set it up...for the Archos 101 G9, use the "Desktop" version...it gives you full screen support. Make sure you have Adobe Flash 11 installed also, if you wish to watch video.

Model: Archos G9 101 8GB Cortex A9 Dual Core 1.0ghz (TI OMAP 4) (Added 32gb MicroSD stick for additional storage)
Purchased from TigerDirect.com
Location, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Came with Android 3.2 Honeycomb, OTA update to ICS 4.0.7

Not pleased with the fact I have to purchase a specialized codec pack to use AC3 Audio. It should have come installed to run with the stock video player. A better alternative is actually MoboPlayer, it uses software decoding to run different file formats, including ripped Flash video (.flv) files.

It also has a habit of losing its WiFi connection on occasion. But I attribute that to dead zones in my apartment where the signal can't reach.

Otherwise love everything else about it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi!

I've bought an Archos 101 G9 tablet. The device seems good, but I can't find any app to scan QR-codes. All apps in Google Play (QR-droid, Barscanner...) are incompatibles with the device (¿?¿?¿?)

flash games that use the camera also doen't run.

I don't find any solution so i'm going to change it.

-nickenino-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Model : Archos 101 G9 8GB
Place purchased: Carphone Warehouse

This is my review of the Archos 101 G9 8GB.

I was looking to buy a tablet PC and saw some good reviews of this device on the internet, when I saw it for sale in a UK chain store I decided to buy it. I wanted to purchase the g3 stick to go with it, but when I saw a 3 wifi device which offered more data for your money than any pay as you go sim card, I decided to purchase that instead.

The device connected to wifi in a few seconds, the first thing I did was to upgrade to ICS, which took about 20 minutes over the air. Unfortunately though my impressions of this device after owning it for almost two weeks are not good:

Bluetooth: I tried connecting the device to my smartphone, it connected the first time I tried it, but it failed to transfer four files I tried to send to it, since then it has not been possible to connect the two devices. It's not the fault of my smartphone as I have previously had no problems sending files to another phone with it.

Screen resolution: This has been one of my biggest dissapointments, I had hoped to use this device as a photo viewer, with it having a HD screen I thought that this would be perfect, although photos look OK at normal size it doesn't take much zooming for heavy pixelating to appear, these are not small resolution photos, some have file sizes of 5 and 6 MB and were taken with a digital camera, when I have previously shown these photos on a much bigger TV screen and zoomed them they have looked fine, some videos I recorded also looked shaky.

Keyboard: This is a bit unwieldly compared with my smartphone, this is because of the size and bulkiness of the device.

There is a problem when I switch the device on, the back button in the bottom left corner of the screen flashes and when I click on any icon it returns to the home screen, the only way I have so far found to get round this is either by rebooting or by holding the back button for about a minute while clicking onto an icon.

The Android system has a problem handling certain websites, for example it is not possible to make direct replies on certain internet forums.

This is not to say that everything about the device is bad, internet speed is reasonable and I have downloaded
several apps successfully, I downloaded a book and the Google play reader works fine.

I wasn't, expecting an iPad or a Samsung, if I was going to pay that sort of money then I would have bought a laptop, and I'm not bothered about the build quality, but so far this device has failed to reach even my lowest expectations, at this stage I would only give it two out of five, but further usage may change my opinion on that.