Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:12 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Battery replacement
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:31 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

My Archos G9 has actually worked perfectly since I purchased it in 2012 (I must be the only one). However, recently, my hard drive decided it was done. I contacted Archos and they informed me that they will no longer do out of warranty repairs even if paid. So now I am stuck.

I ran across this site (http://archosrepairs.com/) recently and wrote them twice asking for a quote. They have never responded.

Does anyone know where I might get the hard drive replaced? I would hate to have to toss the unit.

THanks. :D

Post subject: Re: Battery replacement
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:50 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

You're not the only one. I also purchased mine in 2012 and still gets extensive daily use.....

I previously had hard drive replacements done (for archos 5) by a mob in the US called Archosharddrives.com but appears they are no longer around unfortunately. If the unit is dead anyway, why not have a crack at replacing it yourself - should be some info here in the forums (mine is flash drive based so can't assist here).

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well, it's not exactly dead....i have been able to reformat totally and reload Android. It will let me do small things like add ebooks and ebook reader runs fine. However, whenever I try to add video or music files....it will eventually freeze up and it definitely won't let me play them. that's why I think it's the battery (I could be wrong).

Thanks for the suggestion.....self replacement was my last gasp hope.....I was hoping against hope there might be a miracle out there.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:03 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

mjolnir13 wrote:
Well, it's not exactly dead....i have been able to reformat totally and reload Android. It will let me do small things like add ebooks and ebook reader runs fine. However, whenever I try to add video or music files....it will eventually freeze up and it definitely won't let me play them. that's why I think it's the battery (I could be wrong).

Thanks for the suggestion.....self replacement was my last gasp hope.....I was hoping against hope there might be a miracle out there.

Well now I'm confused. Your thread title says battery but your 1st post talked about hard drive failure then your second post talks about battery replacement? Which is it?

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It's both. WHen I spoke with Archos Tech support they told me the problems were caused by faulty hard drive.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Could you claim it got broken by accident and claim for a replacement unit on your home contents insurance?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:26 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I don't have that insurance...and I suspect they don't even have any "replacement" units left....which is probably why they stopped servicing them.

I attempted to contact them again on it and also tried an archos repair service....neither responded so I dumped all three of my archos products (also had IMT and Archos 70 -- both of which still worked perfectly).

Thanks for the suggestions.