Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:47 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: How to install Windows
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:39 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Dear Archos Gurus,

Ok, now I am back needing help for my attempt(s) to install Windows on my Archos 101 G9 8gb Turbo ICS.

My hope is to create a multiboot machine with the original Archos android 4.0.4 (4.0.28 rooted version) plus be able to boot to some version of Windows. I have COAs for XP Pro, Win 7, and the original Win 8 all both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. I have install media for everything except XP pro 64. If anyone knows where I can get this media I would greatly appreciate it.

So far I have adb working on my main laptop, I have installed SDE successfully, and I have upgraded my main firmware from the stock 4.0.28 firmware to a 4.0.28 "rooted" version.

I need help from there.

Again, know I am very technical in my abilities, a laptop and PC expert, but I am an android newbie so be patient with me. I am a 63 yr old 2nd gen computer enthusiast (my dad taught mainframe repair for NCR in the 60's) and it is hard to unlearn almost 40 years of thinking in terms of DOS and Windows.

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

PS If you ever need help on a Windows laptop I would be glad to help. Twice I was HP's top notebook agent worldwide so I know a lot.

Mark G
Springfield, MO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:48 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Addendum

I forgot to add I have a 32GB SDHS (class 10) in it and should have in a day or 2 an ultra-slim 256GB mini-USB flash drive which will be converted so it will be seen as a hard drive. I understand that if I can get Win XP installed on the system internal storage I can tweak the registry so that when the 256GB drive in running in the 3G port it will be seen as an internal drive, not removeable storage, so that I cann actually install win 7 or 8 onto it.

Thanks again

Also for those who are going to just reply Windows cant be done because of the ARM cpu, please don't. There are posts and videos all over the internet of these unit running windows XP/7/8. It can be done. I have made it my eBay specialty setting up multiboot installations where the lion's share of commenters said it could not be done.

Last edited by OnesimusMO on Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Pretty sure that device has an arm cpu. Afaik, only Win 8 RT can run on arm. I have no idea where to get install media for that let alone whether it would work or not....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yeah you can't run any form of Windows natively on Archos G9.

Though I have run Windows 3.1 and 95 within the AnDOSBOX emulator. Maybe some crazies had XP and 7 running in an emulator too but it would be quite impractical (extremely slow).

8 RT is indeed designed for ARM but you don't just get a CD and install it. The device has to be designed with it in mind. Other than that the only "Windows" for ARM is Windows Phone 7 and old Windows Mobile.

Also realize that while Win8 RT looks like full Win8 that is not exactly the truth. It is limited in usefulness because it can not run x86 based programs and MS has severe restrictions on the desktop mode. It is mostly intended to be used for ARM based Metro apps.