Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:34 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello,

For some time i have an issue with 80 G9. Screen becomes unresponsive and i need to restart tablet several times before it becomes usable again. There is no other issue (as far as i can see) it just becomes unusable, it is running but display does not respond to my inputs. Sometimes display re-calibration helps but not anymore in most cases. I have 1,5 GHz model and i tries several fw. such as 4.0.26 and 4.0.28. I have tried to contact Archos 3 days ago but no one responded yet. Does anyone gave any clue what might be a problem?

Otherwise, tablet is ok just finishing could be a bit on a higher level (HW is great).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:55 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Since it appears you are using one of the 4.0.2x firmwares...

When it does not seem to be responding take a look down in the lower right notifications area to see if there are circular arrows indicating that is is "indexing" files. If so, the device will become very slow until that finishes (and the circular arrow notification goes away).

That is the BIGGEST complaint (and flaw) I've had with all the 4.0.2x firmware releases!

If that is what you see happening, then there really is NOTHING else you can do other than to simply wait until it gets done with that stupid 'indexing' (which can take quite a long time depending on what files you have on the device and/or any sdcard or USB thumb drive you have connected... maybe even what files on other WiFi servers also if you set it up to access them).

And, even worse, some of Google's own app upgrades are now starting to cause problems. So, without a lot of other details, I'd say just plug in the charger and let is sit for an hour or so and see if it settles out. If not, then maybe there other other problems.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:43 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

just out of interest - do you have it in a case? if so, have you tried it without the case?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:51 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Whenever you start it up, and/or as soon as you notice it is giving poor responsiveness, run the 'system monitor' and kill all running apps. You will find that there are a huge number that are started off in the background 'to be helpful' - but all they do is waste CPU cycles, batter power and network bandwidth. Oh, and given the recent disclosures about Prism, I would guess it may be Google or the US government finding information about your location, your activities and the contents of your tablet.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:54 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi all,

With just 512MB of RAM the devices have indeed problems with apps running in the background. However, I found a way to limit this. (I'm translating from Dutch here, so perhaps the words are not exact.):
Preferences app => Options for developers (down below) => Background process limit (again down below) => I put it to 3 or 4.
Note: this setting is not kept after a reboot!
Sadly enough, neither does it work for "services" running in the background. (I really wonder what some services of apps I haven't used in months are doing!)

Greets,
David.