Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:29 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: NFS/CIFS modules?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:40 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm running 4.0.28 rooted on my 80 G9 Turbo, and would like to be able to mount NFS shares on it. Is anyone aware of the availability of the required kernel modules?

Alternatively, what about installing a kernel that comes with the required support, such as GLADOS 1.34 - is that possible without messing up access to the harddisk?

Post subject: Re: NFS/CIFS modules?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:51 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

RJVB wrote:
I'm running 4.0.28 rooted on my 80 G9 Turbo, and would like to be able to mount NFS shares on it. Is anyone aware of the availability of the required kernel modules?

Alternatively, what about installing a kernel that comes with the required support, such as GLADOS 1.34 - is that possible without messing up access to the harddisk?

Do you mean "NTFS" ? I believe the Archos G9 tablets can read (but not write to) NTFS file systems on USB drives and/or sdcards. As for Network Shares... you have to make sure that you have set your WiFi connection to "allow" network file sharing... and, of course, must also have made sure that those "shared" files/folders are open and set up to be available to outside devices (or, at least set up password protections on both ends to make them usable).

Sorry if that don't help you. I've avoided using NTSF on any outside devices simply because it is not compatible with most of the other devices I use, but you should be able to at least 'read' from almost any device with the Archos G9.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:37 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

No, I meant NFS (Sun's Network File System), but thanks for trying.

The real goal is to be able to mount shares on my Mac without having to activate Samba sharing on it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:23 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

RJVB wrote:
No, I meant NFS (Sun's Network File System), but thanks for trying.

The real goal is to be able to mount shares on my Mac without having to activate Samba sharing on it.

Ok, sorry, didn't understand that part of things. I'm not a Mac user.

Oddly, many years ago I did actually want to get an Apple computer (especially after they changed to Intel CPU's), but they were just way to expensive. Then, Apple wanted to FORCE everything into their own eco-system and I TOTALLY lost interest in any Apple.

Ya know what's really weird about all of that is that in the past couple of years I've read/seen thing about other people complaining about how Apple has trapped then thru the years. Now thev've been buying Apple devices ONLY to be able to still be able to use all of their other Apple devices. And, or course, complaining about how expensive it is to do so.

Don't get me wrong. Apple (usually) does make rather high quality products. But, let's be honest here... why would anyone actually want to pay $600 for something when they can pay only $300 for something that does just about everything an Apple product does (without being locked into the Apple only world)?

In other words, a few years ago I WANTED to go Apple, but could not afford... but, then later found out that even if I coudl afford it it simply NO LONGER WANTED it. That's not saying I'm happy with the Microsoft world either, but at least it still ended up cheaper,

Anyway, as far as the Archos G9, it's pretty much set up to work with the very most basic of file systems... and, unfortunately there is very little about how Apple does things that match to the rest of the world. If you do find a way PLEASE be sure to post a comment back here to let other know how you did it?