Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:30 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:41 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Since upgrading to 4.0.28 from .26 I have had problems with charging and fast battery drain. Sometimes with the supplied charger it reports slow charge only way to get back to fast battery charge is to reboot. Battery drains overnight by 50% when on idle. Looking at battery in settings idle is now consuming over 70%, previously this was less than 5%. Will reinstall 4.0.26 and see if that improves these 2 items.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:30 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Since certain upgrades of some big games no longer worked correctly on mine 'rooted' G9 tablets... I decided to totally wipe out and do a full reformat (including uninstalling SDE) so that I could do a totally fresh clean install of the 'stock' Archos 4.0.28 firmware.

ONE, and only ONE, game actually then did work correctly. That was the newer upgraded version of GTA 10th Anniversary Edition (the upgrade messed up graphics with older firmware versions, but heck they don't care because they are upgrading games for all the NEWER Google devices... so I already expected problems when I upgraded some apps).

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE CHANGED! I tried, and I mean I really, REALLY did try to put up with all the other weird crap with the 4.0.28 firmware. After 3 days I just could not put up with it anymore! That TOTALLY STUPID file indexing constantly kicking in FOR ABSOLUTELY NO REASON all the time eventually pushed my back over the edge. I just could NOT put up with that crap anymore.

So, once again, I'm back to 'rooted' 4.0.7. Since I already had backed up all my other apps (and older game versions plus their data), it took me less than a day to get everything back to working like it did before again.

Other than a couple of game developers (and even Google) trying to screw things up so they only work work with 'high end' Google Nexus devices... well, I'm happy as heck to have my tablet back to working correctly again. I really do not understand why Archos (and Google) decided to TOTALLY RUIN our Archos G9 tablets!

Of course, ANY DAY THAT ARCHOS DECIDES TO PROVIDE A WAY TO INSTALL THEIR OWN OLDER STOCK FIRMWARE I'll do so. Till them, I'm sticking with how I've installed an UN-official SDE and rooted 4.0.7 firmware (and a few tricks I've used to throw out some extract crap and apps that I feel are not needed, but that's a side story that I should talk about elsewhere).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:17 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

G9 is history. Archos isn't going to do anything. Time to move on.

I picked up a Nook HD+. They are nicely priced. The Nook community is skilled and has official Cyanogenmod support now. It's a much better tablet than G9 as long as you don't mind not having cameras or GPS. I also have a Nook Tablet and it is also superb. Astonishingly smoother than G9 512MB. I still can't believe my G9 "Turbo" hs 512MB. It's ridiculous.

I have 4.0.28 on my G9 80 and it works fine for what I still use my G9 for. I don't store any media so indexing doesn't happen. The alternative ROMs for G9 are not even close to ready for primetime unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:03 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I have just received a replacement 80 G9 (512MB RAM 1GHz processor). It's clearly not a brand new one but the physical condition is no worse than the one I returned (which was good because it was protected by a decent case), and I didn't have to go through the initialisation process. 4.0.28 is installed, as it was on the old one.

The old one was returned because the USB port stopped accepting charge and the GPS stopped working. I actually suspected the two problems were related. Unfortunately the GPS is still not working - in fact using a system monitor app it appears there is no GPS sensor present. I can only speculate that either the sensor is faulty or disabled (maybe there is no GPS driver installed?).

However, the replacement tablet is much faster and more responsive than the old one. I did wonder if they had sent me a turbo model but the hardware inspector confirms 512MB RAM and 1GHz CPU.

I am really annoyed that the GPS still doesn't work. I have asked Archos for a response to this. It took them 6 weeks to turn around the return, which in itself is very poor. HTC turned around a warranty repair on my phone in just 3 days and that involved a repair of the motherboard, not just a swap-out.

I won't be buying Archos again and I could never recommend them to anyone, sadly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:27 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

ifb wrote:
The old one was returned because the USB port stopped accepting charge and the GPS stopped working. I actually suspected the two problems were related. Unfortunately the GPS is still not working - in fact using a system monitor app it appears there is no GPS sensor present. I can only speculate that either the sensor is faulty or disabled (maybe there is no GPS driver installed?)

You could try doing a full wipe perhaps.... That would be my first idea. It probably doesn't have SDE installed so you can't do full format. I think SDE kills warranty.

But these tablets have always had flaky GPS. There are a number of hardware revisions of them, which Archos uses as an excuse for their inability to deliver a reliable OS, and there are probably quality control problems too, and perhaps some of hardware is simply cheap unreliable junk.