Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:30 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:37 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I plugged in a microSD card today that has some old backup files on it... NO pictures, music, or videos files at all. And, guess what happened?

It not only started up the stupid "file indexing" crap (which was totally unnecessary), but it also popped up the notification for the Archos Music player also.

That's it, I've had it with this B.S. Since Archos has already stated that this is supposed to be the last firmware for the G9 models I'm going back to what I KNOW actually works on my G9 tablets... rooted 4.0.7 and NEVER going to fool around testing any more other things. End of story, done. Good bye, good luck. I am out of here!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:23 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

mls wrote:
Archos pulled another fast one behind our backs WITHOUT telling us about it!

It appears that somewhere between February 27th and 28th theu changed the 4.0.28 firmware file on their website. The file size is now 10K larger than it originally was. ...

Feb 26 size: 205 MB (215,072,768 bytes)

Mar 1 size: 205 MB (215,089,152 bytes)

Love to see their configuration management system!

Regards
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:07 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Don't see any point in reporting bugs if Archos is finished supporting the G9 Tablets, other than helping prospective up-graders to decide if should they take the risk and go with the latest version.
If you want my advise download 4.0.28 to your laptop and not your tablet. If your tablet is working at the moment forget about installing any of the updates that Archos has delivered over the last 12 months.
I will never buy another Archos device, luckily my tablet is working OK with 4.0.26 even if the GPS is not as responsive as it was with honeycombe.

Disappointed and disgusted with the non existent support from Archos and I am sure that I am not the only one to think this.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:09 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Roldorf wrote:
If your tablet is working at the moment forget about installing any of the updates that Archos has delivered over the last 12 months.

I installed every update they released. I got it a year ago with Honeycomb and upgraded to ICS couple of days later and every firmware since ... never had any problems with Wi-fi, GPS, USB 3G stick and dozens of apps.

just sayin' ... oh and goodbye to both of you.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:14 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Goner wrote:
Roldorf wrote:
If your tablet is working at the moment forget about installing any of the updates that Archos has delivered over the last 12 months.

I installed every update they released. I got it a year ago with Honeycomb and upgraded to ICS couple of days later and every firmware since ... never had any problems with Wi-fi, GPS, USB 3G stick and dozens of apps.

just sayin' ... oh and goodbye to both of you.

+1

I am in the same boat, I have received my Archos Tablet Turbo version with 1GB of ram roughly ~may of last year and although some of the in between firmwares were not entirely optimal, everything still worked as mentioned above by Goner. So far this thread does not really report any major issues so I am tempted to upgrade to the latest. Currently on 4.0.26 and no major issues, except for some minor quips like the Music app not showing the album display when in fullscreen in party shuffle mode and the Archos Files app not connecting to my server (eventhough I can access using ES Explorer), but otherwise GPS, Wi-fi, USB, HDMI and the servers work well for me. As a side note I use Nova Launcher which really keeps my tablet spriteful. :o

Jam78ilC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:58 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Goner wrote:
As usual, no problems with upgrading to 4.0.28.
Just one thing that caught my eye ; normally after an upgrade I see a notification that 100's of apps are being optimized. This time it was only 1 :?

I suspect it was the Google prefs app, which wasn't present previously.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:14 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

mmnich wrote:
Feb 26 size: 205 MB (215,072,768 bytes)

Mar 1 size: 205 MB (215,089,152 bytes)

I really never wanted to ever log-in here again, but felt I needed to because the numbers you posted do not match up with the ones I have. Those appear to be 'size used on disk' numbers, not the actual file sizes. The disk space used is always a multiple of the cluster size that the drive was formatted with. Blanks are added to a file to always fill out a full cluster. But, that part of things is not important because...

When I went back to double check things I found that Archos has in fact changed the 4.0.28 firmware file on their website another time WITHOUT telling anybody just what the heck they fixed/changed in it.

Listed below are the dates I downloaded what was listed as the 4.0.28 firmware, the size that was listed on the website at that time, and the true downloaded file size.

Feb. 25 -- Listed on site: 210,030 Kb -- Actual size: 215,070,152 bytes

Feb. 28 -- Listed on site: 210,040 Kb -- Actual size: 215,080,008 bytes

Mar. 02 -- Listed on site: 210,046 Kb -- Actual size: 215,086,104 bytes

How many more times are they going to change that file WITHOUT telling anyone what they are doing?

I truly do hope that people in the UK or UE can join together with some kind of class action law suit against Archos. There must be a whole long list of things Archos has been doing that would be considered illegal by European law.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:04 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Have you updated to the latest published version, and if so have you found any problems or obvious improvements over the initial release of 4.0.28?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:55 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I Have installed every update from Archos.
Was hoping and hoping that one day my GPS was working properly.
Never that hapend.
On 3.... (HC) it works sometimes.
On 4... (IC) it never i say NEVER works.

Now i am reading that there will be no more updates to solve the problems.

It is a shame.
I have buyed a product that is not complet.

Its my first and last time that I buyed a Archos. [-X

I am very disapointed in Archos.
I think that they made a long nose to every one who buys a Archos G9 Classic. :^o
Rein Hoen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:57 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Just installed the update and not noticed much change. My A80 (0.5GB RAM) has been fairly stable for the last few updates, but about two updates ago the GPS stopped working. This is ironic as it was working fine when everyone else seemed to be having problems. Now it's the other way around.

The only other problem that is a bit of a pain is that charging seems a bit hit and miss - only slow charge seems to work now. I don't know if this is a connector/cable/charger issue but I have tried several different chargers and leads without much improvement.

Ian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Most likely it is a problem with the connectors. I found that I could not charge at all, then pressing down on the connector would result in the unit charging. The cable connector on the original charger just gave up, so replaced the charger with one from RadioShack that gave me slow charge only until I shimmed the connector on the Archos 101 with a plastic insert to force it downwards. I have to assume that in my case the connector is not making good contact with the mother board. Basically poor engineering design in the opinion of this very ancient EE!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:35 am 

I have such an easy workaround to the slow charge, that its not an issue for me. It only happens when it boots with the charge usb already plugged in, which i almost never do except on firmware update. This would mainly happen when hooking to charger when the device is off, which i rarely do. Then just pull out the cord for a second and pop it back in, and the slow charge warning goes away.

I'm not saying it will work for others or that you should like it, but the problem is avoidable without even thinking for me... every device trains me to avoid its quirks and then it's effortless. BTW, the new undocumented release shows the logo that used to blackout upon boot. No big deal one way or the other... i doubt if such a nit would destabilize the release. And did archos really say no more bug fixes, or just no more upgrades to android itself? Earlier generations had bug fixes for years, but who needs a destabilizing leapfrog of android?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

viking wrote:
And did archos really say no more bug fixes, or just no more upgrades to android itself? Earlier generations had bug fixes for years, but who needs a destabilizing leapfrog of android?

The exact wording of their post was "... making 4.0.28 the final firmware that will be provided to this device range".

My Archos 80 G9 (1.5GHz, 1GB RAM, 16GB internal storage) still has problems with GPS: Unlike some others, I can get a GPS fix once in a while. However, sometimes the "GPS status" app shows up to 8 satellites, but is still unable to get a fix. - If I reboot the tablet, GPS usually works for a while; but eventually it gets back into the "cannot get a fix" state again. - I remember one situation where GPS was locked to 6+ satellites, but by simply changing the orientation of the tablet from horizontal to vertical mode, GPS lost the satellite connection and was not able to establish another fix, no matter what I tried; until I rebooted the tablet again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:35 pm 

My a101 half gig does the gps pretty well with fast fix of 8 sats, dribbling down to 6 at times. For once the altitude is right, but the compass drifts off course. My brightness cranks up and down a bit, but that started the day before i refreshed firmware.

My device seems to be a bit unstable from a hardware point of view, and it helps to let it settle after booting to let the touchscreen work better. Maybe archos array of g9 testing variants also suffered some attrition and can't be replaced, so they dare not change the firmware for things they can no longer test.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've never had any real major bug problems with my 80 and this latest update (4.0.28) went smoothly.

As far as GPS, once in a while it will only see a couple birds and not lock. Once it does that I open GPS Test and clear agps data, then update agps data. After that I get a lock with sometimes 13 or 14 sats. It's a little buggy, yes, but just a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The only problem i have is with GPS.
It worked never smoothly.
I have a G9 80 classic 512 one of the first Archos G9 tablet.
I hope that Archos will made a fix for the GPS.
But I think that it was hoping till.........
Now I have a tablet that works well but i want also to use to GPS.
It makes the tablet not worthluss but well less usefull.

I Hope realy that Archos will read this and will made the GPS for the G9 tablets working for all the users.
Many thanks,
Rein Hoen.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well i guess i am one of the lucky ones. I have the 512 ram G9 for 1 year now , and everything has always worked ..The only niggle i had with 4.0.26 was the WIFI sometimes dropped out, but it then reconnected straight away.The new 4.0.28 seems to have fixed this as it has not dropped out now since i installed it, even though its not in the change log, so has it really changed?.
All i can say is i was looking forward to jelly bean etc , but oh well never mind i will keep going with what i have got. In a very strange ( and weird) way i will miss logging onto this site daily to look for updates etc ..as i probably will not look very frequently now , as there is no need.
Thanks to all that keeps this forum running, and the people who post , it has been fun , but to use a quote from hitch hikers guide to the galaxy..."So long and thanks for the fish" :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:08 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

jem111111 wrote:
to use a quote from hitch hikers guide to the galaxy..."So long and thanks for the fish" :D

And that's pretty much all anybody has gotten from Archos... things that just royally stink!

They've trashed as many G9 devices as they could, and NONE of their newer devices work right either! Just plain STINKS all over the place!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:12 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have a problem with the web-cam , skype video-call , but also when I open the Photo camera the program crashes . Anyone faced the same problem?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:39 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

My A80 G9 Turbo 16GB/512MB was pretty well-behaved on 4.0.26 (better than previous firmwares) yet since I didn't see any major warnings about 4.0.28 I thought I'd be as up-to-date as possible if this would be the last firmware. I upgraded about a month ago I think.

Unfortunately since then I find my tablet rebooting at intervals while sleeping. Maybe a complete wipe will help but I'm not very optimistic about that.

So take this as a warning to be cautious about 4.0.28.