Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:34 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:26 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Version 4.0.28 of the firmware for Archos 80/101 G9 has been officially released today:
http://update.archos.com/9/gen9/gen9_4. ... os_it4.aos

Changelog:
  • HDMI: avoid interference of CEC detected as DPAD with some games such as Max Payne
  • Video: fix playback of some MP4 files
  • Video: fix aspect ratio on some H264 files
  • Touchscreen panel: ensure on some devices a proper wakeup when powering screen back on

So still based on ICS (no Jelly Bean yet...) and nothing about the media center crashes... :(
What's interesting is that the "last updated" date gives 2/25/2013, while the change log gives 2/18/2013, so it seems there has been some beta testing already!?

Please post your experiences with the new version 4.0.28 into this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:08 pm 

Thanks for the heads up... i am running ok on the new firmware now.

I got a few odd messages and cleared them with a couple of reboots. My device actually started to act up before the update due to apparent hardware glitches, so your experience may be cleaner.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just rolled onto 4.0.28 and so far it seems OK. Oddly 4.0.26 was stable for me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:28 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have indexing problems with 4.0.26 that crash my 101g9 after 5 minutes from startup. Likely because I have a directory on sd with thousands of small files. It didn't crash with the older Firmware before 4.0.24
Is Archos aware of this problem?
Does 4.0.28 solve it?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

In the meantime I am back home and updated the firmware myself:
I have not noticed any change compared to 4.0.26 yet; but on the other hand, I did not see any of the issues they mention in the change log before.

@sbtwister: Since the change log does not mention anything about the media server, I doubt that this has been addressed. - But why not give it a try?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:04 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Nightsurfer wrote:
and nothing about the media center crashes...

Just out of curiosity ; where exactly does your media center crash ??
I'm only using the video part to get info (from Internet) about TV series and episodes and watch them, but have not experienced any crashes there ...
(media center is really 2 apps, audio and video, right ?)

EDIT:
just tried to update to 4.0.28 and got an (HTTP ?!) error .. so now my G9 claims it's up date while still running 4.0.26, when I check for updates.

Last edited by Goner on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Goner wrote:
Just out of curiosity ; where exactly does your media center crash ??

It is not the video or audio application itself that crashes, but the indexing service that runs in the background: Once in a while (while you do something completely different), there is a pop-up stating that this service has stopped working and needs to be terminated. - The change log for firmware 4.0.26 explained: "fix crash during indexing caused by music that has metadata year that evaluates to 0". - I guess it is something similar that still causes crashes for some users, while it works perfect for others, like special characters in a file name or file description (in German we use strange characters like ä, ö, ü, ß for example ;)). - Somebody also mentioned that he has a huge number of media files stored on the SD-card. It could also be a "buffer overrun" problem if a certain number of files or directory levels is exceeded...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Weird, there is no .28 available when I check system updates

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:31 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

sbtwister wrote:

I think they do OTA updates for smaller blocks of owners so that not everyone is downloading at the same time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:46 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

gilles wrote:
sbtwister wrote:

I think they do OTA updates for smaller blocks of owners so that not everyone is downloading at the same time.

That is correct. Not all devices get an update notification at the same time. It can be several days (maybe over a week) before it shows up for some people. However, you can always go to the download section of the Archos website to get it sooner if you do not want to wait for the over-the-air update.

Personally, I just don't see this update being much of any improvement. Although it does (at least partially) fix things for the Max Payne game, the graphics in Shadow Gun still do not display correctly. There still is no progress notification while a Bluetooth file transfer is occurring, and their stupid MediaCenter file indexing junk still keeps popping up (often for no real logical reason) to slow things down or cause something to crash.

I other words, very little (if anything) has been fixed! To make matters worse, there was a post on their Facebook page saying there will be no further upgrades for the G9 models because there are just too many different variations in the hardware they used (meaning they screwed up and don't know how to get things to work for all the G9 tablets they've sold over time). Guess I'm just going to have to go back to 'rooted' 4.0.7 and just stay with that (because none of the 4.0.2x firmware works correctly).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:48 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

sbtwister wrote:
I have indexing problems with 4.0.26 that crash my 101g9 after 5 minutes from startup. Likely because I have a directory on sd with thousands of small files. It didn't crash with the older Firmware before 4.0.24
Is Archos aware of this problem?
Does 4.0.28 solve it?

I too had that issue on my G9-80 classic, so far so good, no more media centre crashes or grinding to a halt if I attempted to use archos's video app. In truth the system seems as smooth as 4.0.7 was here, only more stable.

Will continue to test.

--edit--

ShadowGun turrets still appear as pink blobs. Never had glitches with Max Payne so can't comment.

With the exception of the above bug, as well as the continued loss of sensitivity of 3G connections (it has issues connecting in places where before it gave enough throughput to play Netflix and HQ YouTube bids without issue) , it would appear that this firmware is pretty much where I was with 4.0.7. Ymmv, of course.

Have to say though, I am damn tempted to root this thing and go back to 4.0.7, though not nearly as much as I was with the previous firmware - .26 was an absolute crap fest on this thing.

Last edited by the_leander on Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:52 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Besides what I've mentioned in the above post...

Has anyone else also noticed that when you do a fresh start up the Archos logo pops up for only a split second, then the screen goes totally blank for about half a minute, then the animated Archos logo shows up for a short time, and then it boots up the rest of the way?

I did a total re-format and did a fresh completely clean install and the Archos logo goes totally blank for a while. So, now you don't even know if it is actually even starting up at all. That has never happened with any other firmware before.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:35 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

mls wrote:
Has anyone else also noticed that when you do a fresh start up the Archos logo pops up for only a split second, then the screen goes totally blank for about half a minute, then the animated Archos logo shows up for a short time, and then it boots up the rest of the way?

No change on my "Archos 80 G9 Turbo" (1.5GHz / 1GB RAM / 16GB storage): the logo is shown all the time during the boot sequence. - But apparently our tablets have a very different hardware configuration, so a different behavior does not really surprise me (any longer).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:45 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

mls wrote:

I noticed similar behavior.
We may not see it too often though, cause this firmware seems more stable.
I have not had to reboot for non-responsive touchscreen.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:58 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

mls wrote:

I did a total re-format and did a fresh completely clean install and the Archos logo goes totally blank for a while. So, now you don't even know if it is actually even starting up at all. That has never happened with any other firmware before.

I have the same issue on my 8GB Archos 101 G9 turbo :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:03 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

They updated (corrected) a posting on their Facebook page. Since it is hidden down in things where most people would not see it, I'll quote it here for the rest of you to read:

"""
Archos Worldwide Marco Antunes - Unfortunately after many months of analysis and
testing it has been decided that, due to the multiple hardware configurations
available on our G9 range and the complexities these add, we will not release an
Android 4.1 “Jelly Bean” update to the G9 range tablets. The G9 Range, originally
released in the autumn of 2011, running Honeycomb, saw 16 firmware updates taking
it across many versions of Honeycomb and Ice Cream Sandwich, making 4.0.28 the
final firmware that will be provided to this device range.
"""

Considering that it took 3 months for them to get around to releasing this last firmware I think they are pretty much just giving up on us G9 users altogether now. As such, my only chance of properly working tablets on my end is now to just go with rooted stock 4.0.7 and leave them that way from now on. I don't really want 'root', but if that's the only way I can get mine to work correctly then so be it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Updated. So far, no problems. Version .26 also gave me no trouble.

I do not see the point in persistent request Android Jelly Bean on the G9, since some people have problems with the firmware even now. New software, new problems. Who needs it?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:07 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Until 4.0.28 there was no 4.0 release that worked well with my G9 80. And 4.0.28 is not yet proven, though Max Payne's UI does work now. So really I don't see the disadvantage to going to 4.1. :)

The problems are likely related to the kernel, drivers and hardware interaction, not Android specifically.

By the way, the claim that they analyzed a Android 4.1 upgrade for months sounds totally ridiculous. Either they don't get much done at Archos, or they are full of it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:05 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Archos pulled another fast one behind our backs WITHOUT telling us about it!

It appears that somewhere between February 27th and 28th theu changed the 4.0.28 firmware file on their website. The file size is now 10K larger than it originally was.

Looks like they tried to correct the blank screen (missing Archos logo) when the device boots up. It also seems like it may run a bit more smoothly (at least on my 101 G9 here anyway). Does not seem like anything else got changed or fixed though.

Unfortunately, since the version number is still the same, anyone that had already upgraded to 4.0.28 before would not even now there actually is a newer version available now.

Since this is the 2nd time I've caught them doing this kind of crap; I really do wonder just how many other times Archos has done this sort of thing WITHOUT telling anyone about the changes they've made. And, it could also (at least partially) explain why some people have problems with one specific firmware version while others do not (because Archos may have changed things without anyone noticing between the times each person downloaded/installled it).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:34 am 
Archos User
Archos User

As usual, no problems with upgrading to 4.0.28.
Just one thing that caught my eye ; normally after an upgrade I see a notification that 100's of apps are being optimized. This time it was only 1 :?