Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:38 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:30 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,

Do you know, where i can download the older 4.0.7? I'm very unhappy with 4.0.26 at the moment.

I never rooted, do you know a nice tutorial, on how to do this?

Thanks & Cheers, Zak.

Ups, this should be a follow up to viewtopic.php?f=84&t=68047
However, it works alone, too :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:02 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpos ... tcount=117

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:12 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I see you've found my post over on xda-developers.

Trying to piece everything together and understand how to do things from there can be very confusing (and they seem to make somethings even more complicated than they already are). Anyway...

For people running either Windows XP or Windows 7 on their computers...
I have just finished work on putting together a full package with everything needed to install the 'rooted' stock Archos 4.0.7 firmware. It contains:

The ADB USB Driver and instructions for how to install it (with pictures).
The needed ADB files.
The 'rooted' 4.0.7 firmware and matching Kernel files.
The UN-official SDE installation files.
And one jim dandy of a .bat file that can take you through just about the whole process.

I've zipped it all up into one 210Meg .zip file. You should be able to download it from this link.

For those that really know what they are doing and only want/need the UN-official SDE...
I've created a smaller 12Meg .zip file that does not include the 'rooted' 4.0.7 firmware files.
You should be able to download it from this link.

If the download links do not work for you then send me a private message and I'll see what else I can do.

Just remember that I will not be responsible for any damage or data loss that may occur.
You would be doing this totally AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

A note about the Archos Video and Music Player apps (aka MediaCenter)
Since the official Archos 4.0.26 firmware uses a different method of indexing media files than older firmware did, when you try to use 'rooted' firmware versions based on older Archos firmware you may need to do the below for the MediaCenter apps to be able to find your video/music files:

- Open the system settings.
- Open the "Apps" category in the left pane.
- Switch to "ALL" in the right pane.
- Scroll down the list to "Media Center" and click it.
- Hit "Force stop" and confirm the warning.
- Hit "Clear cache" (if it is not grayed out).
- Hit "Clear data", confirm the warning again.
- Hit the back button in the lower left screen corner.
- Find "Media Storage" in the same list of apps.
- Repeat the process of force stopping and clearing the data.
- Go to "Repair & formatting" in the left settings pane.
- Hit the "Reset multimedia library" item and confirm on the next screen.

THIS POST WAS MODIFIED:
On February 1, 2013 -- Added note about fixing MediaCenter not finding files.

On January 29, 2013 -- Made some minor changes (and added another picture) to the instructions in the full 'rooted' 4.0.7 package. Changed the download link to point to the newer .zip file version.

On January 28, 2013 -- Information and download links changed/added to point to newer files.

Last edited by mls on Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:40 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well I really did go back to 3.2.80. The GPS hardly works with 4.0.26.

Do you think 4.0.7 is generally superior? I've read of wifi problems with 4.0.7.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:14 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

swaaye wrote:
Well I really did go back to 3.2.80. The GPS hardly works with 4.0.26.

Do you think 4.0.7 is generally superior? I've read of wifi problems with 4.0.7.

In general yes, simply because just about all of the other bugs fixed that were in the earlier 4.0.4, 4.0.5, and 4.0.6 release. It also has a lot of new features that were not in 3.2.80. However...

Archos created a real mess by changing the hardware in the G9 models several times. That makes it really hard to create on single firmware upgrade that works correctly on all of the G9 tablets. That's also why some people of problems with GPS or Wi-fi with some firmware version, but not with others.

For some people the GPS or Wi-fi does not seem to work for them in 4.0.7, so they've gone back to 4.0.6, or even 4.0.5. While others (like myself) have never had any problem with GPS in any firmware version. On my 3 Archos tablets (which do have different hardware in each by the way), the only thing I've noticed is that the Wi-fi is slightly less stable than it is with 2.2.80 or 4.0.26. And, that seems to be due to overheating when doing large downloads (like games over 500MB). I hardly ever have wi-fi problems otherwise (mainly because the wi-fi chip in my router seems to work better with whatever is in the G9 tablets than some other peoples routers wi-fi chips do).

If 4.0.7 doesn't work out for you then try going back down to 4.0.6 or 4.0.5. Just remember that you then have other un-fixed bugs in those versions. You can see most of what got fixed, changed, or added for all the Archos G9 firmware versions in their changelog.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:24 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

For anyone that's interested...

Here is a link to a list of just about every firmware that exists for the Archos G9 tablets. It includes links to official Archos firmware as well as all of the 'rooted' variations and 'customized' ROMs.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:17 am 
Archos User
Archos User

mls wrote:
For anyone that's interested...

[url=<span class="skimwords-unlinked">http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1468925</span>]Here is a link to a list[/url] of just about every firmware that exists for the <a href="http://www.archos.com" class="skimwords-link" target="_blank" data-skimwords-id="403987" data-skimwords-word="archos" data-group-id="0" data-skim-creative="10001" data-skim-product="0" title="" style="">Archos</a><span style="position: absolute;"></span><span style="position: absolute;"></span> G9 tablets. It includes links to official Archos firmware as well as all of the 'rooted' variations and 'customized' ROMs.

Thanks mls for the link, I will finally re-install the official version 4.0.7 in my Archos 80 turbo 250G.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:52 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Wrwolvz wrote:
Thanks mls for the link, I will finally re-install the official version 4.0.7 in my Archos 80 turbo 250G.

Please note that you can NOT install any "official" Archos firmware below whatever the last one you had installed. If you have already installed the official Archos 4.0.26 you CAN NOT go back and install the official Archos 4.0.7. They ONLY WAY from 4.0.26 back down to 4.0.7 is to install a 'rooted' version. That's why I put together a whole package with everything needed to do so (that is listed in the post further above).

Although the other link I posted does list all the "official" Archos firmware links, those are mainly for reference (or for people that have lower official firmware that want to upgrade to one of the higher ones).

So, remember, this whole thread is about 'rooting' your device and/or installing 'rooted' firmware.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm confused...

Do you only need the 'Un-Official' SDE if you've already installed the later fw's (4.0.25, etc...)?

Which SDE (Official or Un-Official) should I use if I'm currently running the official 4.0.7 fw (and I'm wanting to root and try out different rooted fw's, including the later fw's)?

Thanks for any advice.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:20 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

gdenton61 wrote:
I'm confused...

Do you only need the 'Un-Official' SDE if you've already installed the later fw's (4.0.25, etc...)?

The "official" Archos SDE can only be installed if you are (currently) running Archos 4.0.4, 4.0.5, 4.0.6, or 4.0.7 firmware. It can not be installed on a G9 device running any newer (or older Honeycomb 3.2.xx) firmware.

Quote:
Which SDE (Official or Un-Official) should I use if I'm currently running the official 4.0.7 fw (and I'm wanting to root and try out different rooted fw's, including the later fw's)?

In your case (with 4.0.7) either one should work, but... here's a warning about the "official" Archos SDE taken right from their own website:

"""
- Once the SDE firmware is installed on a device, this device will be watermarked and ARCHOS will be able to detect that this firmware has been installed once.
- After SDE firmware installation, you will not be able to play DRM protected content anymore.
- Installing the SDE firmware is considered by ARCHOS as a voiding of the warranty and ARCHOS declines all liability and responsibility for any issues resulting from the installation of this SDE firmware.
- ARCHOS strongly advises that only experts in embedded software development should install this firmware.
- This firmware is provided "as is" and is not supported by ARCHOS.
"""

Since Archos does not actually even 'support' the use of their own 'official' SDE... And, as far as I know, the 'UN-official' SDE does not "watermark" your device or disable DRM functionality... Well, I've only used the "UN-official" SDE.

Since it seems like you (currently) do have a fully functional device with 4.0.7... I'd suggest trying my full package (from the download link further above). That way, you can read the documentation/instructions to find out how things work before actually doing anything, and it will let you install a 'rooted' version of the stock Archos 4.0.7 if you decide to do so.

As far as "trying out" other 'rooted' firmware goes... In all honesty I see very little that can be gained with any of the other ones. Once you have 'rooted' 4.0.7 you can pretty much find all of the other stuff (that is in the other 'custom' ROMs) available to install right from the Google Play store (like other launchers, AdAway, Titanium Backup, or other things that require a rooted device). So, there's really no need to try any of the other 'custom' ROMs unless you can not find any other way to do the exact same stuff with 'rooted' 4.0.7.

Although I've never tried it, you might even be able to try a 'rooted' version of 4.0.26 without having to actually install the actual 'official' Archos firmware version. Of course, from my point of view I'd totally avoid anything to do with 4.0.26 (there are just way too many little things that do not work right in 4.0.26).

Here's a YouTube video I made showing just a couple of the problems I found (in this video, just the problems with 2 specific games): Graphics problems with certain games.

And, that was with a special newer 'test' version that Archos had sent me, not the current official 4.0.26.

There are many people that "claim" 4.0.26 works just fine for them, but I doubt they've actually fully tested some of the other things... Otherwise, they WOULD find that there are a LOT of little things that do not work correctly.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:33 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

mls,
Thank you so much for responding, I had already downloaded your full package this morning and browsed thru your batch file - looks good to me.

After reading about the 'watermarking' I agree with you - 'Un-Official' SDE looks like the way to go.

The main reason I was wanting to root was I was hoping to be able to do nandroid backups - but I see that's not possible - but I do see that I can do a backup using adb commands.

The main reason I am wanting to experiment with other firmwares is I am hoping to find one that enables GPS on my tablet to work like it should. Currently I have to be connected to the Internet when I turn on GPS to get a lock - not always possible when you are travelling.

Again, thank you for putting together the package and your advice.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I had problems with 4.0.7 again.

I did a full format, installed fresh 4.0.26 official, then installed 4.0.7 rooted. But while it seems to work fine, both internal storage and sdcard appear as empty and read-only over USB. I tried the wipe Android option in recovery that clears settings but that makes it unbootable.

I'm currently sticking with 4.0.26 because it seems OK on here. 3.2.80 was fine too but it is tangibly slower. I found that when the GPS refuses to work with 4.0.26 that a reboot fixes it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:13 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

mls,
Your batch file worked great, thanks again.

I was going to backup the /data directory with the following commands (that I found in another thread):

adb shell
stop zygote
tar -cvzf /mnt/sdcard/full_backup.tgz /data/*
reboot

But it says "tar: command not found".

So is 'tar' expected to be a Busybox command?
Can I just install another version of Busybox?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:27 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

gdenton61 wrote:
mls,
Your batch file worked great, thanks again.

You're welcome.

Quote:
But it says "tar: command not found".
So is 'tar' expected to be a Busybox command?

Yes, tar, gzip, and many other things are Busybox commands.

Remember though that the rooted 4.0.7 in my package is simply a 'rooted' version of the actual stock Archos 4.0.7 (with "su" and "SuperUser.apk" added). As such, it still has the rather stripped down original Archos busybox, and therefor many commands are missing.

Quote:
Can I just install another version of Busybox?

Yes, you can upgrade with this free Busybox installer from the Google Play store.

I did not bother to check exactly what is different (and you may not need it), but there is also this pay for version.

Also, you may want got get this paid for version of Root Checker Pro. It will not only let you check if root is set up correctly, but it also will tell you which version of busybox you have installed and lists all the commands that are available in that version.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:56 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

After running the BusyBox Installer app 'adb shell' returned:

- exec '/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory

I found all utilities in /bin are now 0 byte size.

I copied sh from /system/bin to /bin and now 'adb shell' works.
I was able to backup using tar.

But now I'm wondering if I screwed up not following this guide:
Installing Busybox without breaking your root:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=21646995&postcount=4

Root Checker shows I still have root but it also says 'System appears to be running very slow'.

Any thoughts on all utilities in /bin now being 0 byte size?

I also noticed the guide I referenced above says to have BusyBox installed in '/system/xbin' but the BusyBox Installer I used defaulted to installing it in '/system/bin' - bad/OK?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:28 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

gdenton61 wrote:
I also noticed the guide I referenced above says to have BusyBox installed in '/system/xbin' but the BusyBox Installer I used defaulted to installing it in '/system/bin' - bad/OK?

Please be careful about what you are doing! The instructions you reference were posted way back in January of 2012... which means they were about how to do things with 3.2.79. Things have changed a lot with how the system is set up and what things are stored where from 4.0.4 and up. And, some things are also totally different from 4.0.24 up.

I think you may have botched things up with what you have done. Also, I do believe the free Busybox installer I listed would have done it correctly.

ALWAYS check the date of anything you read (here, over on xda-developers, or anywhere else for that matter) and cross reference with the Archos firmware changelog to see which firmware version it was written for. Besides, there's really no reason to be using ADB when there are already apps that can those things (most free, or at a very low cost).

I should also mention that I have VERY LIMITED skills or knowledge of ADB or Linux. As such, you would very likely get much better help over on xda-developers than I could ever give you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:15 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I used the exact BusyBox Installer that you linked to - and it defaults to /system/bin.

I don't think I've messed anthing up (yet) - I've been using it a lot, power-cycled a few times, everything is fine.

I know to be really careful wih Linux/Unix - I use it everyday at work.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:23 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I finally got a chance to actually play around with that Busybox stuff and found you are correct in that there is something royally messed up with how things end up.

Since it has been mentioned over on xda that Archos did things in a rather weird way for Android on the G9 tablets... Now I am beginning to wonder... even though the link to instructions you mentioned is rather old and out of date, maybe that is the only way to get a newer Busybox installed correctly.

I haven't bothered going that far with things, but just wanted to let you know there is something fishy with how it works on the Archos G9 tablets.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:57 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

mls wrote:
I finally got a chance to actually play around with that Busybox stuff and found you are correct in that there is something royally messed up with how things end up.

Since it has been mentioned over on xda that Archos did things in a rather weird way for Android on the G9 tablets... Now I am beginning to wonder... even though the link to instructions you mentioned is rather old and out of date, maybe that is the only way to get a newer Busybox installed correctly.

I haven't bothered going that far with things, but just wanted to let you know there is something fishy with how it works on the Archos G9 tablets.

So MLS did you have chance to look as im thinking of installing unofficial sde . your rooted 4.07 ( or rooted 4.0.28 was it surdu?) , but on this chain i got a bit confused .
So it read you batch file worked great , but then there was a tar problem ..which led to busy box , and that pointing somewhere wrong , then it stopped . So does it still work or is there another way to do it?. Thanks for any info you can give

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:55 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

jem111111 wrote:
So MLS did you have chance to look as im thinking of installing unofficial sde . your rooted 4.07 ( or rooted 4.0.28 was it surdu?) , but on this chain i got a bit confused .
So it read you batch file worked great , but then there was a tar problem ..which led to busy box , and that pointing somewhere wrong , then it stopped . So does it still work or is there another way to do it?. Thanks for any info you can give

Don't let the side discussion about the tar command and Busybox stuff confuse or scare you. It has nothing to do with being able to install SDE or 'rooted' firmware. In fact, unless you know a lot about working with Linux and really want to do some serious extra experimentation... odds are the problem with upgrading Busybox on an Archos G9 will not even matter to you (because you probably will never need the extra/additional Busybox commands for any normal usage of the device).

Busybox just provides a collection of Linux commands all in one file. The Busybox that Archos used in their firmware was stripped down to the bare minimum, so not all of the commands that Linux users are used to having were included.

The problem with trying to upgrade Busybox stems from the fact that Archos set up Android (and the underlying Linux) in a rather non-standard way (compared to most other Android devices). Since some things are not in the proper directories, and somethings are sym-linked to point to other places... well, it does end up requiring some extra fiddling around to get a newer Busybox version installed and working correctly.

The 'rooted' 4.0.7 in my package is based on the stock Archos 4.0.7 firmware (only with root added), so it has the same Busybox as Archos used. However, there are several custom ROM available that do have a newer Busybox already properly installed. I believe surdu-petru's ICE@BLUE firmware is one of them (if you want a really fancy rooted ROM to use).

Otherwise, don't worry about Buzybox until you actually run into a situation where you really do need something that is missing in the stock Archos version.

Oh, and supposedly Archos has recently released a newer version of SDE that will now install on devices that were upgraded to the 4.0.2x firmware. That would be easier for most people to install because it doesn't need the ADB USB driver like installing the UN-official SDE does. I just don't like the warnings about "watermarking" and disabling DRM for the official Archos SDE, but it probably doesn't really matter in the long run anyway. You can find it on this Archos support page.

The best place to find out more information would be in the Gen9 sections of the xda-developers website because I won't be checking things in this forum very often anymore (now that Archos has basically given up on the G9 models).