Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:32 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:25 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi MLS thanks for replying,as that has stopped my confusion. Just one more question for people who have rooted /flashed their g9 , what do you think is the best stable ROM to flash? Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:14 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

jem111111 wrote:
Hi MLS thanks for replying,as that has stopped my confusion. Just one more question for people who have rooted /flashed their g9 , what do you think is the best stable ROM to flash? Thanks

I really doubt if anyone will ever give any real answer to that question. First off, there are very few people in this forum that even have any interest in 'rooting' their devices to start with.

You make it even harder to answer your question by combining the words "best" and "stable" together in a question. So, let's throw out the "stable" part simply because there is ABSOLUTELY NO OS that is actually 100 percent stable (not Windows, Apple, Linux, Android, or any other). Some versions of an OS are simply more "stable" for some people than others simply because of how they use their device(s). And, a LOT of stability problems can stem from flaws in whatever other software or apps they install (many of which have flaws of their own). Some of Google's own app updates create problems!

That leaves us with which is "best"... and I have a really short answer to that... and a longer one in an attempt to explain the short one...

The short answer:
The BEST firmware for any Archos G9 is the one that actually WORKS correctly on YOUR specific G9 hardware. There are NO rooted firmwares that work any better than the official Archos firmware versions (because ALL rooted firmware. other than experimental ones, all use the official Archos stuff as a base to start from).

The longer answer:
It's now been about 2 years from the early demo or prototypes on up, and Archos has (rather foolishly) changed the hardware in their G9 models many times. All of those changes have created a problem for Archos as far as providing newer firmware that actually works correctly on ALL of them. In fact, Archos has recently actually stated they are giving up on providing any further firmware for the G9 series simply because "they" CAN NOT figure out a way to make firmware that works correctly on ALL of the various hardware in the G9 devices they have sold.

Those of us that got our Archos G9 tablets over a year ago have gone through dozens of firmware upgrades and already know which ones worked right on our specific device. On my end, I KNOW FOR FACT (as many others also) that the *ONLY*
official Archos firmware releases that have ever actually WORKED anywhere near correctly are 3.2.80 or 4.0.7. And, as far as I'm concerned, anything above 4.0.7 (which means ALL 4.0.2x firmware) is nothing but total garbage!

There are all kinds of "customized" ROM's out there, but they really are nothing more than than the "stock" Archos firmware with a bunch of extra fluff added. Sure, people can brag about having some other firmware, or all the fancy pretty stuff, but that still DOES NOT make it work any better. Having a higher benchmark test score DOES NOT mean any device actually performs any better in "real life" usage (because "real" usage requires the system to use everything, not just one specific part like a benchmark test does... and the overall full performance depends on how well a LOT of things were tweaked in the original device manufacturers firmware).

Unfortunately, there are people that have just recently purchased an Archos G9 (which is already an obsolete device from Archos viewpoint) and have ended up with newer firmware... They very likely will NEVER KNOW how good their device could actually work... Which, oddly is what this whole thread started from... people that WANTED to get back to 4.0.7 after Archos screwed everything up with their 4.0.2x firmware upgrades.

If you want "bragging rights" and fluff, I've already mentioned ICS@BLUE (which you can get based on 4.0.7). Otherwise, I'm sticking with rooted stock 4.0.7 (no extra fluff and just plain works BEST on my G9 devices).

Sounds like your looking for something "better than", in which case I suggest just buying a Google Nexus device (at least they are designed to Google's specifications and will therefor also outperform anything from Archos).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi MLS
Thanks for the reply , its good to for a newbie like me to read answers that are to the point and in a language i can understand..
I think I have been lucky as i have had all the upgrades for 1 year and they seem to work , i have never had problems with wifi , gps etc.But i probably don't use it to the extent as others , as all i do is surf the net ,emails , you tube , plugged into my tv to show videos.and it works.
Perhaps you are right i am looking for something more ( no jellybean) but overall i have been satisfied with it , as its 1/2 the price of a ipad.
I read with interest when people say 4.0.7 was the best , and wonder did i miss something when i had it , or did it give something that i am not using anyway ( e.g i don't use the dongle) as i found i can tether to my mobile , and that works great

Thanks again for you help :D

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Update
Well I tried ics@blue ,and it looked and felt nice,but seemed to drain the battery ,as others have said on other forums. I then went to surdu's clean,slim and fast v02. I must say it has been running very good for me,with no problems,and I am happy to stick with it. :D

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:55 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

jem111111 wrote:
Update
Well I tried ics@blue ,and it looked and felt nice,but seemed to drain the battery ,as others have said on other forums. I then went to surdu's clean,slim and fast v02. I must say it has been running very good for me,with no problems,and I am happy to stick with it. :D

Glad you found something that 'seems' to work for you! Of course, from your previous post it sounds like you only use it for the most basic of uses to start with (so the little things that are messed up in the 4.0.2x firmwares may go unnoticed, especially if you are lucky enough to have 1GB RAM in your device).

I've never wasted my time trying clean, slim, and fast V02 simply for these reasons:

1) It's just a stripped down version of the Archos 4.0.25 firmware... meaning he just dropped out some system apps (which anyone with 'root' can do themselves if they knew what they were doing.

2) Unless he did some super magic that I don't know about... the memory management simply does not work correctly in 4.0.25 to start with. It's less noticeable to people with 1GB RAM than to those of us with only 512MB, but you can double check things yourself by going into System=>Apps and the Running tab. It will very likely show that EVERYTHING that is running is using ZERO memory!

In short, that basically means it just keeps loading things until it can't anymore and something crashes to free up space. It's really strange that the people at Archos did NOT notice that, or even bother fixing it until => I <= told them about it!!!

3) And then there's the "deodexing" part of things... does absolutely NOTHING as far as increasing speed or performance. The ONLY purpose of deodexing is simply to allow the developer to alter the "theme"... or, in other words be able to change the icons... which is of no real need/use, just cosmetics.

But hey, if it works for you and you are happy with it that is just fine. All I've been trying to say is that I am much happier being able to do ALMOST ALL of the things I used to be able to do with 4.0.7. I'm not happy that I was FORCED to use a 'rooted' stock version of 4.0.7 though... Archos SHOULD have given us a way back to the official non-rooted firmware instead... that would really make me much happier. In case you haven't noticed you have lost some RAM and good chunk of Flash memory when installing the SDE and any 'rooted' firmware. And, that's why I said "ALMOST ALL of the things I used to be able to do with 4.0.7"... because I really can not simply because I no longer have the full amount of memory that the official firmware had.

Really pisses me off that Archos flat out refuses to provide a clean way back to what I had before!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Corrected mistyping 4.0.26 which should have been 4.0.25

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:02 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It is possible to go back to 3.2.80 or 4.0.7 if you're on the latest firmware. As long as you can install the SDE. I've gone back to 3.2.80. You need to get the rooted version of the firmware.

This is how you roll back to a old rooted version.
1) Copy the archos.ext4 file to your internal storage.
2) reboot into SDE
3) do remove kernel (if this option is there)
4) do flash kernel (rename initramfs.cpio.gz to initramfs.cpio.lzo if you have that)
5) if installing 3.2.80, go back to SDE and to format and do "reset android". this clears out any incompatible data from the newer Android versions. 3.2.80 might not boot otherwise.
6) reboot

I think 4.0.7 is probably faster than 3.2.80. The Honeycomb launcher app is certainly slower than ICS's at least. 3.2.80's old kernel's video driver has problems with some games too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:02 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

swaaye wrote:
5) if installing 3.2.80, go back to SDE and to format and do "reset android". this clears out any incompatible data from the newer Android versions. 3.2.80 might not boot otherwise.

Yes, if you want to go back with any of the older 'rooted' Honeycomb (3.x) firmware you will have to go into Recovery/SDE and do a 'reset android'. Unfortunately, that pretty much also blows away any apps or data files you may have on your device, but that is what is needed to get back to those older versions.

I'll try to explain a bit move here...

When you copy older Honeycomb 'rooted' firmware versions, the device boots directly from that file in /storage. As long as that file is still there it will boot into it (if you also have installed the 2 kernel files in the SDE).

However, even though you still copy the (newer) ICS 'rooted' firmware to that same location... when the device boots the (newer kernel files needed)... it copies that firmware file to /data/local and renames the original file in /storage with a .update extension.

As such, if you have installed a 'rooted' ICS firmware and do a 'reset android'... it deletes all the files in /data... which then also includes the 'rooted' ICS firmware that was copied to /data/local and the device will then not be able to boot.

To avoid that problem with 'reset android' for the rooted ICS firmware you need to rename the original rooted firmware file by removing the .update extension BEFORE you you do the 'reset android'. Or, for those of use that just delete that file (from /storage because it just wastes space and is no longer really needed) be sure to copy whatever the rooted ICS firmware file was back onto the tablet (with original filename, not with the .update extension). Then, when the SDE boots it will (again) copy the firmware file from /storage back into /data/local to boot from.

Hopefully I haven't confused everybody here, but it is IMPORTANT to know how the older 'rooted' Honeycomb firmware gets installed compared to how any of the newer 'rooted' ICS firmware installs... and, therefor how doing a 'reset android' operates differently between them.

Meanwhile, I still do not understand why Archo REFUSES to provide a simple way to reset our devices to allow us to install ANY previous version of 'stock' Archos firmware we want (or whatever version we know that works better on our specific device). The Archos G9 tablets WERE really great devices up until Archos decided to ruin them with their crappy newer 4.0.2x firmware (and then expecting everyone would just BUY their newer G10 tablets... which DO NOT work right either). Seems like they just don't care about going out of business by totally ruining their own reputation (which they themselves had made rather poor already).