Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:24 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i recenty bought a second hand archos 101 g9 16gb with the intention of downloading some of my dvds to a usb stick to play on the archos. fat chance!!
i just can't get them to work consistently. After conversion, some work, some half work (stop halfway through) and some don't start at all. I'm having an absolute nightmare with this - conversions take ages, there are no error messages, but half the time the playback won't work. Am seriously thinking of ditchig the Archos and going back to my linux netbook + external drive!

i'm converting using either handbrake or "allfree dvdto wmv converter" and am converting to AVI.

for both these converters there are multiple choices of output format available. Can anyone tell me exactly what format the Archos 101 G9 will play, and can anyone recommend a free good virus/spyware free conversion software for DVD for the Archos ???

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I don't think I can help much, but from my Linux box I also used Handbrake but converted to .MKV
I do have the extra codecs which I purchased from Archos.
It plays fine.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:12 pm 

Conversion is a needless nightmare... archos will play the raw .vob files from your dvd. Either buy the decode extensions from archos or limp along with mx player app for free. The vob files appear on my mac if i click on the dvd file. Archos.com has detailed spec page for video formats covered... i have a link to it in a sticky topic above.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:48 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

you are right about conversion! the free ones i've tried don't work, and taking up any issue with handbrake is a bit of a mare. I tried a simple conversion of a DVD to MP4 on handbrake, and it converted just 1 minute of film, then said encoding finished.
I'd be willing to buy conversion software if i knew it would work, but i'm not convinced.

i did try to buy the codecs from archos but i bought this m/c second hand and the previous owner (who i now can't get in touch with) has registered it in his name so although i can create my own account with archos, it won't let me buy anything until i register the archos, and i can't because it's already registered! I've contacted archos about this, but they don't seem to understand.

re vob files - i'm using a W7 laptop to convert.. but if i try to just open the DVD it says there is no program associated with it, and asks me to create an association. I'm not sure which program to associate so i can see the vob files.

i'm thinking it's going to be far simpler just to take my laptop (with dvd drive) away with me! :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:06 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I use dvdfab to convert my dvds to either avi or mp4 to save on a usb harddrive, but this is only because of storage limitations. I did buy the extra video pack off archos and successfully have tried playing the discs with an extrnal usb dvd drive. My preference is still dvdfab conversion on windows laptop, and usb harddrive

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:15 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I tried several different Converter and find the DVD to Archos Converter exports quality video with reasonable size. DVD to Archos Converter is a CUDA activated DVD ripper. It provides DVD to Android Ripper trial, which is free, clean, and safe. The app is available for Windows and Mac.