Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:31 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:01 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Harfainx wrote:
Anyone want to test G10 firmware? That is 4.0.24 also. I don't want to post the link because people will click on it thinking that it's the G9 firmware and download it without reading the text of this post. I would do it, but I'm pretty happy with where my G9 is at right now, everything works perfectly.

There were people over at xda-developers that have already been doing that even before Archos put it out for the G9... and, they have had the exact same mixed results. Worked OK on some peoples devices and trashed others so that they could not even get into recovery mode at all anymore.

Of course, if Archos had not sold so many devices with totally different hardware as the exact same G9 model names this problem really would never have happened. Nor would there have been such a mess of problems with the earlier 4.0.x firmware releases either.

It's starting to almost look like Archos wants to deliberately ruin their own reputation, get a bunch of law suits against them, and then file bankruptcy so they can sell out to some other bigger company. I can't think of any other reason a company would have done as many totally stupid and idiot things as Archos has in just one year.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:25 am 

deet wrote:
Has anyone who installed this noticed any improvement in GPS performance?

In particular, anyone who never got a GPS position fix in 4.0.4, are you getting a fix now?

I think mine went from ok to good. In a concrete bldg, gpstest thought for a moment, then clocked up to nine out of nine fixed. But then lost some, and would gain them back in a regular sequence.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:13 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Things are getting really interesting! Take a look at this thread about hanging on boot.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:06 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

For those whose G9s weren't bricked by 4.0.24, how does the 3G stick behave? In my case, running on 4.0.7, the stick will completely deactivate if the tablet goes to sleep for an extended period of time. Only a reboot will revive it.

Anyone notice an improvement?

Its about the one thing that isn't so great with my unit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:58 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

3G is still the same for me. Switched off Wifi and activate 3G, it comes back with "Error connecting to networks". Only a reboot enables it. So no change there then ! I don't do deep sleep in my tablet, so don't know about that behaviour that you described. But overall the screen feels slow even now - not sure how long will it take for the cache to be rebuilt as was suggested earlier by viking.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:00 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have the same "feelings" about slow screen and touch, but all other stuffs (WiFi, aGPS.....) are working.
I still have to try the 3G, but, anyway, tablet report that 3G stick is connected.
Then, I will try the GPS without "Assisted WiFi".

By the way, I've upgraded my A80 downloading the FW via WiFi and tapping then on it, without removing anything (3G stick, SD Card...) as suggested in other posts. No problem at all. It seems the usual story on G9, too many different HW/SW/something release :?

Ciao

Archos A80G9 "Classic"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:53 am 
Archos User
Archos User

The link is still dead! "403 - Forbidden" :cry:

Did any had it uploaded somewhere else?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:38 am 
Archos User
Archos User

So far, so good ...
None of the problems I read about here ; earphones, GPS, 3G card still working ...

The only thing that looks bad is the memory ; anybody else notices a much higher memory usage !? Only 300MB left after a fresh boot.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:46 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I noticed that playing video in flash player became "jagged". In previous version it was good and useful, now for me it is broken. Does anybody experience the same problem?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The download is back up, but is a different size

EDIT - No they have just put 4.0.7 back up :-(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

fjinnes wrote:
The download is back up, but is a different size

EDIT - No they have just put 4.0.7 back up :-(

You beat me to the punch....

Did anyone get version two of 4.0.24?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:39 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

So 4.0.7 is back. Doesn't help someone like me stuck on 4.0.24 now does it.
I know I can faff about and revert to a previous version but to be honest I can't be arsed anymore.
It takes about 5 mins to boot, is very unresponsive, reboots at will and has between 30 and 0 mb free.
Rubbish... they can have it back.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:59 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Like someone said in other thread, they really need to hire people that really knows about wrighting software code. Their hardware ain't that bad, but they really suck in code wrighting. Hence, this mess... on top of the others.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:45 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Their coders are probably fine (I'm a coder so happy to defend them lol) , what they need are some alpha and beta testers who know what they're doing, rather than unleashing it on the paying public to do that job for them.

They supply the hardware and the software and should have examples of all revisions of hardware and firmware so testing upgrades should be formality. In my industry if a release like this made it out of the door, the QA dept would be following it!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:50 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

That, and their customer communications could use some work too. A lot of ppl had issues with this firmware update, but no acknowledgement on their part other than pulling down the update. No memos or statements on their site.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:27 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Back again with my feedbacks on 4.0.24.

Tested also 3G stick and it works (but, again, it already worked under 4.0.7).
So, up to now, all HW is working.

The main issue, I think, is about free RAM. I have a 512Mb RAM A80 and, after a "clean restart" I have ONLY 35Mb RAM free with 3/4 app/widget running in background (and they are very light) :(

So, I really hope two things:

1) next fw will fix all these major (many G9 bricked) and minor (RAM) issues
2) when the fixed fw will be released again this will be called 4.0.25 and not (again) 4.0.24, just to avoid doubts like, in past, on 4.05 version 1, version2 /4.07 .......

Last edited by Jolly3 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:25 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Jolly3 wrote:
The main issue, I think, is about free RAM. I have a 512Kb RAM A80 and, after a "clean restart" I have ONLY 35Mb RAM free with 3/4 app/widget running in background (and they are very light)

Ah, I was starting to think it was only me !!
I've got a 1GB A80 and in the previous fw had over 500MB left with just a few apps running, Now it's less than 300 MB !!

Sorry to complain about something like this while everybody else seems to have a bricked or broken G9 ... :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Archos speaks about 4.0.24

http://m.facebook.com/Archosworldwide?i ... 5&refid=17

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:21 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Mandopicker101 wrote:

Well, wish the acknowledgement of it had been sooner, but I can understand a day or two delay considering they're already on top of setting up RMAs. Kinda sucks that they are having to charge for this up front, here's hoping they do issue refunds on that. Not to derail, but it is amusing to see the results of the consumer scoreboard link. Archos is bad, but their competitors in the tablet market(Apple, Samsung, Asus, and Acer), don't score that much higher.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:31 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

sirus wrote:
Mandopicker101 wrote:

Well, wish the acknowledgement of it had been sooner, but I can understand a day or two delay considering they're already on top of setting up RMAs. Kinda sucks that they are having to charge for this up front, here's hoping they do issue refunds on that. Not to derail, but it is amusing to see the results of the consumer scoreboard link. Archos is bad, but their competitors in the tablet market(Apple, Samsung, Asus, and Acer), don't score that much higher.

See, my experience of their customer service has been really good. Quick turnaround on RMAs, helpful staff and prompt replies to email. OK, paying for the return of dud goods is not ideal as is the non-free helpline (but that ain't so different to other tech support lines). So personally I'd take that scoreboard with a pinch of salt. Just like boards such as this, happy customers don't usually run to sing the praises of the company concerned, while anyone with a technical problem is calling down the wrath of the heavens.

Sure, they have work to do on customer service, but whoever replies to the Facebook postings sure seems to be fairly consistent. Having used this to follow up an issue, we had a reply in 24 hours. Here in the UK, the guy who runs the RMA service is exceptionally helpful. That doesn't seem diabolically bad.

Moreover, I find that people aren't exactly measured or thoughtful when responding to online blogs, reviews or other fora. Hardly makes for useful dialogue...