Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:03 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:21 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Actually, it installed just fine over the air (didn't try PC/USB load). It ran really well on my 80 G9 "classic", except that the Opera browser (ver. 12.10) crashed enough to be a nuisance. So when I saw it had been taken down, I downloaded and re-installed 4.0.7.

Looking forward to getting updated, as the wifi performance was definitely better with 4.0.24.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:33 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

blancocooper wrote:
Actually, it installed just fine over the air (didn't try PC/USB load). It ran really well on my 80 G9 "classic", except that the Opera browser (ver. 12.10) crashed enough to be a nuisance. So when I saw it had been taken down, I downloaded and re-installed 4.0.7.

Looking forward to getting updated, as the wifi performance was definitely better with 4.0.24.

If the update worked well for you, there was no need to downgrade. The main problem that people are experiencing is the boot issue with newer 101 G9 models, made from March 2012 onward. I think these devices have ICS pre-installed.

Goner wrote:
mls wrote:
Apparently the rest you do not understand how Android and the underlying Linux kernel operates.

So you don't think it's odd that a new Android firmware suddenly needs 200MB (in my case) more than the previous version ?? Just because it's newer and uses a newer Linux kernel, it's perfectly alright to take all that extra memory ? After a fresh start with no extra apps loaded ...
The change log only mentions Android being upgraded from 4.0.3 to 4.0.4, a new wi-fi driver and a load of media center (which I do not even use) changes ...

4.0.4 introduced over a hundred of small tweaks and fixes, with the end result of running better and faster. Just by upgrading Android version we get a performance boost.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:46 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I installed the new version after formatting and all went well (archos 80 1.5).
however, after a while the gps stopped working.
Has anyone experienced the same?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just a note in reply to complaints about responsiveness of Archos Support -- I have had several issues, including one 80 G9 that had a hardware failure (charging over USB connetor failed, and it was not the charger or cable). I got excellent response and received a replacement unit (no fees) about a week after I sent in the defective one.
I did follow the RMA process on their website.

I also have had some software issues that got promptly resolved, usually with advice from Andrew H in Archos support. Compare their support with several of the PC manufacturers and Archos looks really good.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:42 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Goner wrote:
HaCo wrote:
RAM usage 551MB used, 342MB free.

Is that the same as before the upgrade (yeah, I still think memory usage of 4.0.24 is excessive ;) )

I have no idea.

Yes boot time is also a lot longer, but I don't care because I never boot really.

Still very happy with my Archos.

Btw, thanks to me 4 people I know also bought G9 devices :-)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:54 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Goner wrote:
mls wrote:
Apparently the rest you do not understand how Android and the underlying Linux kernel operates.

So you don't think it's odd that a new Android firmware suddenly needs 200MB (in my case) more than the previous version ?? Just because it's newer and uses a newer Linux kernel, it's perfectly alright to take all that extra memory ? After a fresh start with no extra apps loaded ...
The change log only mentions Android being upgraded from 4.0.3 to 4.0.4, a new wi-fi driver and a load of media center (which I do not even use) changes ...

No, I do not think it odd at all for the RAM usage to go up in any new first release of a new OS (especially with how Archos tends to screw things up the first time around). In fact I would actually have expected an increase in RAM usage (even if Archos didn't screw a few things up).

Efficiency of an OS is not about lowering RAM usage. In fact, it's completely the opposite. The more efficient an OS becomes the more things it can have using RAM at any given time. Every newer OS tends to always require higher system resources anyway. ICS (Android 4.0.3, even after Archos fixed and tweaked things) still uses more RAM than Honeycomb (Android 3.2) did. I would therefor expect Android 4.0.4 to then also use even more RAM than 4.0.3.

Since RAM usage is dynamically controlled by the OS it really doesn't matter to me at all as long as the OS works correctly.

I'm not sure just what you were trying to go to about the change log. That only lists the main things that people would mostly likely notice being different. It does NOT include the hundreds of driver changes or other modifications that Archos has to make to get Android and their own extra apps to run on their specific hardware. Nor does it list the over 100 changes and bug fixes that Google made to the OS from 4.0.3 to 4.0.4.

Most of what is listed in the change log is fluff about new features to the Archos media apps. I could care less about that (although nice of them to add new features). The ONLY REAL IMPORTANT line in the change log is the very first line about changing to the Android 4.0.4 base. That's a really huge change under the hood... especially with Archos actually jumping way ahead several Linux kernel versions (that is not really required to run 4.0.4).

Although Archos does not come right out and say, the whole real purpose of this upgrade (especially the big jump in the kernel version) is all about getting the G9 devices ready so that they can (possibly) be upgraded to Jelly Bean sometime next year. Between now and then there will likely be many more updates to fix bugs and may add a few more features.

In other words, if Archos can not get this upgrade to work on all the G9's (with all the hardware changes they made in them in the last year)... well, then there would be no chance of ever getting a Jelly Bean upgrade in the future. As such, to me, there are far more important things to worry about than RAM usage (which I consider totally un-important because the OS takes care of that by itself... if the OS is working correctly anyway).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:01 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I finally tried firmware 4.07. It worked OK but kept timing out especially in the browser. I stopped all running apps to free up Ram, but after a few minutes it would start to lag again. I gave up and re-intalled 3.2.8 and it's running great again. I don't think 512 meg of Ram is enough for ICS. I'm sticking with 3.2.8 until I get a new tablet

Archos 80 G9. 512 MB Ram

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:22 am 

Jimb wrote:
I don't think 512 meg of Ram is enough for ICS.

Mine runs perfectly fine on it... even plays PS1 games without any issues. 512MB is plenty of RAM to run ICS.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:17 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Harfainx wrote:
Jimb wrote:
I don't think 512 meg of Ram is enough for ICS.

Mine runs perfectly fine on it... even plays PS1 games without any issues. 512MB is plenty of RAM to run ICS.

Maybe it's the combination of the slower processor and lower RAM on the base 80 G9 that make lag on ICS.

It's a great little tablet at 3.2.8, so I'll just keep it at that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:43 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

mls wrote:
ICS (Android 4.0.3, even after Archos fixed and tweaked things) still uses more RAM than Honeycomb (Android 3.2) did.

Is it true that 3.2 could only address/use 512MB ??
I'm asking because I got my G9 80 1GB with Honeycomb and remember when I first tried it that the memory used by running apps and free memory only added up to about 512MB ... but I still upgraded to ICS and there it showed a total of 1GB !
Still think it's strange that 4.0.4 running on my 1GB device uses more than 500MB and you (and others) run 4.0.4 on 'only' 512MB ... :?

Thanks for the informative replies btw !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:13 pm 

Like someone who posted in another section, i am suddenly getting browsers blowing up... dolphin, boat, and chrome. The funny thing is this didnt happen until quite a while after my firmware upgrade... just very recently it's a couple times a day, sometimes causing loss of a lot of typed input. I wonder if google play upgraded some app that is causing problems in background.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:31 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I don't know if it's related but I've suddenly (in the last day) started experiencing the thing bouncing between no charge and slow charge while on the charger, and the cord is not moving. No firmware changes since 4.0.24 came out.

And there have been several Play Store app updates recently.

Regards
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

4.0.25 was released - http://update.archos.com/9/gen9/changes_firmware_archos_android_gen9it4.htm