Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:46 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:27 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

After upgrade to 4.24, I had also RAM issues. But I disabled Archos remote control server and since then the RAM seems okay. But, the screen is slow and jerky, to the extent it is noticeable. Not sure if this is the same for everyone. Rest of the behaviour seems very similar to previous version. GPS, wifi,...have not seen any improvement, except chrome is installed - stock browser seems okay for me.

As for tech support, at least for me it has been fairly okay although at times when you raise a question it could be a lifetime before you get an answer. But when you raise a problem they almost always responded. Agree this experience can be different for different people. But unlike Apple, they don't pass off a fault as a feature in my opinion, like in the case of Wifi, and recently camera issues with iPhone. At least they have the decency to admit a fault for what it is - A fault- and try to fix it..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:02 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

robinhood wrote:
After upgrade to 4.24, I had also RAM issues. But I disabled Archos remote control server ...

You mean the setting "Discoverable" under More ... -> Remote Control Settings ?
That's already disabled by default om my device (switched it on and it takes only a couple of MB ... not the 100MB that 4.0.24 gobbled up)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

After the upgrade mine is working really well! On 4.0.7 it was already stable but now is faster, noticeable faster specially loading web pages! Very happy with this device :-) . Thank you Archos for one more update!

The only problem that's happening is an error message when the device boots. After a minute or two I get an error message "Unfortunately media center stopped working" or something likes this. I don't notice any problems after the message so I don't care for now... Anyone with the same issue?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:57 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Goner wrote:
robinhood wrote:
After upgrade to 4.24, I had also RAM issues. But I disabled Archos remote control server ...

You mean the setting "Discoverable" under More ... -> Remote Control Settings ?
That's already disabled by default om my device (switched it on and it takes only a couple of MB ... not the 100MB that 4.0.24 gobbled up)

Actually I only have 512 MB RAM. So previously I had only around 90/100 mb free depending on what apps are run. After upgrade it came down to about 50/60 . After I disabled the remote server, it came up to around 80. Yes lower than previous, but for me not much visible difference, except the screen which I do not believe is connected to this (I could be wrong though).. But those units with 1 gb ram the change in available ram maybe more noticeable ? Btw, I don't even use the live wallpaper because it uses up ram.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:19 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Quote:
The only problem that's happening is an error message when the device boots. After a minute or two I get an error message "Unfortunately media center stopped working" or something likes this. I don't notice any problems after the message so I don't care for now... Anyone with the same issue?

I am getting this on my 80G9 hard drive model with 4.0.24 whenever I try to use the Archos Music app - it is actually aborting when I try to scroll through my music. I think that it can't handle my 227 GB of mp3 files. Mine is a 512 MB RAM turbo version. I have reset Android and deleted all of my apps, but it doesn't help. 4.07 was working pretty well for me, too. I have reset the media library to no avail. The one thing that I haven't done is deleted all of my media files and put them back - maybe it wouldn't choke if the files went back on in stages.

This is not good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:25 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I am having a few issues, after the 4.0.24 update on my 101 G9 turbo 1GB

>the media center keeps stopping every time I turn on the tablet and even when I wake it from sleep
>the screen becomes non responsive every now and then
>the power says "slow charging, please connect the original charger" and I am using the original charger!
>my ram use has now become 60% where it was 40%
>media server is running and I have no shares!

so when can we expect an update to fix this! cause I am not happy that I have spent a lot on this device and now the manufactures have screwed the OS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:17 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

gdurrantuk wrote:
so when can we expect an update to fix this!

I wouldn't hold my breath ... at the moment Archos is busy with the 101's that were bricked by the upgrade.
In fact you're lucky ; your device still works ;)

I'm not using media center, but I have the same problem with RAM usage. I'll make a ticket for support, to make sure they don't forget about us.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:52 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Why are so many people worried about how much RAM is used?

While I'm sure to some extent Archos may be able to tweak RAM usage, I' really not seeing that as being any major thing to worry about. Apparently the rest you do not understand how Android and the underlying Linux kernel operates.

Linux (on a computer) uses just about all available RAM all of the time. If RAM is not being used for a current application the remainder is used to cache things so they can be gotten back to quicker if needed. If it needs more RAM for an new application to run it throws out some of the older stuff (sometimes to a swap file on the hard drive if it really still needs to keep it).

Android works just about the same way (actually it pretty much has to because it's running on a Linux kernel). Android loads certain services and process that are normally going to be needed. Any app you run is then also loaded. When you leave an app it (normally) will stay in RAM as a background task so that you can return to it quicker latter if you need to,.

If you start other apps and there is not enough RAM free for them it will kill of some older background tasks to free up RAM for the new app you started to run in.

Those that started out with Archos G9 device that came with Honeycomb (Android 3.2) noticed an increase in RAM usage when they upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich (aka ICS Android 4.0). Each new OS will, in general, want more memory and a faster processor to run with. Also, Google seems to like to add even more of their own stuff that wants to always keep running (if it can) for things like syncing Gmail, Google+, photos, browser bookmarks, etc..

Since this new 4.0.24 firmware not only upgrades Android, but also upgrades to a newer Linux kernel also... well, or course, the RAM usage is going to change considerably.

Worry about RAM usage AFTER Archos manages to first actually get an upgrade to install and run without trashing some of the 101 G9 tablets. I'm sure there will be plenty of other more important bugs or problems that will have to be fixed, and in the process the RAM usage may also end up going back down somewhat.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

4.0.24 installed successfully on my 80G9 "old" 1.2GHz Turbo (PC 1147*) and I should probably be happy taking into consideration all the problems many of you are facing...

I didn't notice any issues with performance - however also no noticeable improvements (possibly it boots a bit faster). A nice feature of the *.24 is the support of the HDMI-CEC remote control. It works out of the box on my Full-HD Samsung-TV ("anynet"). However with this improvement there came also a severe bug: On a HDMI-monitor/keyboard-combo (Atrix-Lapdock) & a pico-LCD-beamer I use for work & fun while on travel - both of which are *not* Full-HD - the A80g9 with 4.0.24 now selects an awfully low output resolution for the "desktop" and movies when HDMI is connected to those devices (looks like 640x480, and that even in the wrong aspect ratio). With 4.0.7 it worked flawlessly with the best resolution the devices supported and in the right aspect ratios (4:3 for home screen/apps and 16:9 for movies).

I downgraded back to 4.0.7 and HDMI-output-resolution/ratio is back to normal. With the downgrade, I somehow messed up my gmail-app (force-closure on start but i can live without using the stock-email-app).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

a32quaeler wrote:
I downgraded back to 4.0.7 and HDMI-output-resolution/ratio is back to normal. With the downgrade, I somehow messed up my gmail-app (force-closure on start but i can live without using the stock-email-app).

Go to Settings->Applications->All, find the Gmail application and uninstall all upgrades and clear all data. The downgrade could have installed an older version of GMail over the newer one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks "Goner" for the heads up, and I must say that being a 10year linux user I am not fussed about ram usage! just the media center issue, as it gets in the way of my angry birds game LOL!

I do wish there was more control over what can run in the background and what can't

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:46 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

neur0mans3r wrote:
Go to Settings->Applications->All, find the Gmail application and uninstall all upgrades and clear all data. The downgrade could have installed an older version of GMail over the newer one.

Thanks, worked fine. In my first atempts i only cleared the gmail cache - not the entire app-data. By the way, after downgrading i had some crashes of the media center as well but the initialization of the multimedia database (settings->repair) did the trick.That did not surprise me since it is something I had to do several times in the past already after upgrades.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:14 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

mls wrote:
Apparently the rest you do not understand how Android and the underlying Linux kernel operates.

So you don't think it's odd that a new Android firmware suddenly needs 200MB (in my case) more than the previous version ?? Just because it's newer and uses a newer Linux kernel, it's perfectly alright to take all that extra memory ? After a fresh start with no extra apps loaded ...
The change log only mentions Android being upgraded from 4.0.3 to 4.0.4, a new wi-fi driver and a load of media center (which I do not even use) changes ...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've done the upgrade on my G9 80 Turbo 1,5GHz 1GB RAM, 8GB ROM device.

The device works OK, but when I turn it on (from a normal standby) I have to touch the screen before anything happens. Since the update the device is a lot warmer after a charge.

Boardversion A80S-V5 (T1), RAM usage 551MB used, 342MB free.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:02 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

HaCo wrote:
RAM usage 551MB used, 342MB free.

Is that the same as before the upgrade (yeah, I still think memory usage of 4.0.24 is excessive ;) )

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:47 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Am I the only one whose boot time has increased dramatically? Its now a full 5 mins to boot on my 80 G9 250HD.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 pm 

Well... There is a clear reason that they pulled the firmware and are working on a fix. I'm fairly certain that they would admit that something is wrong with it, seeing as how it isn't even available anymore. When they release the next firmware, it will probably be something like 4.0.32, and it will fix these obvious mistakes that were in 4.0.24.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:31 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just another confirmation that Archos needs to hire competent software people directly from Google if they want to stay competitive in this market. Because if Archos continues writing crappy, bug laden software code for their tablets they are absolutely going to be crushed by the Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD, Nook HD, Ipad mini, Samsung Tab 2, extc, extc.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:52 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Harfainx wrote:
Well... There is a clear reason that they pulled the firmware and are working on a fix. I'm fairly certain that they would admit that something is wrong with it, seeing as how it isn't even available anymore. When they release the next firmware, it will probably be something like 4.0.32, and it will fix these obvious mistakes that were in 4.0.24.

I bet it will be just another 4.0.24...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:03 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

exelletor wrote:
Harfainx wrote:

I bet it will be just another 4.0.24...

They clearly have some hardware issues on some of their platforms, but the software seems pretty stable so far.

Regards
Michael