Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:22 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Modified by Harfainx:

Please be patient, Archos has pulled the firmware. There have been many problems with people installing, so the download is no longer available. If you do manage to find a download link, please do not share it here. Be patient and wait for a fix, please.

Obviously I am not an employee of Archos, just a moderator here on the forum... and I count myself lucky that I was happy enough with my current firmware to not upgrade. I understand that people are frustrated, and the best thing I can tell you is to either be patient and wait, or go to Archos' Facebook page and click the "Support" tab and ask them about when a fix will be released.

Hopefully this will be fixed soon, and we will hear something official. Until then we're all in the dark on this one.

Post subject: Re: firmware 4.0.24
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:15 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

4.1 will come out in 2013, according to some sources.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Installed now.

Firmware 4.0.24 / Android 4.0.4 version.
Checking for GPS, WiFi and some apps. It seems all working, but they already were with 4.07 fw on my A80G9 "Classic".
I'll test it for a while, just to check it ;)

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:18 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

After update I'm stuck at boot logo? Is there some kind of recovery? Never had sde or root.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:27 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Stuck at splash screen, and can't get into recovery mode :-( .

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:29 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Firmware changes

Version 4.0.24 - October 10th, 2012

Android: IceCream Sandwich 4.0.4 version
Media Center: network indexing on network shortcut menu (+), network shortcuts creation is proposed on network share directory long press
Media Center: new simplified Movie/TV Shows/All Video views
Media Center Video: new video information view with backdrop display and chooser (click on backdrop to change it) Media Center Video: poster can be changed by clicking on it in the video Information view
Video Scraper: faster media information retrieval process. Note that in the migration process, all your video scraper information will be lost.
Subtitles: ability to download and save subtitles for network shares
Media Center: add video search
Media Center Music: Album art swipe gesture support
Remote control: control your tablet with your TV remote through HDMI on TV compatible hardware (directional pad, multimedia and color TV remote keys)
Archos Remote: support of remote touch pad
Wi-Fi: new more robust driver
Media Center Video: fix audio desync for some MPEG4/AVI files
Media Center Video: fix MPEG PS/VOB audio track selection
Media Center Video: fix UPNP playback of large files (>4GB)
Media Center Video: fix seeking in some TS files
Media Center Video: fix playing certain MKV files
Media Center Video: fix playing certain H264 files
Media Center Video: improve DVD/VOB playback in case there are IFO files present
Media Center Video: add support for MPL2 subtitle format
Media Center Video: improve playback of H264/AAC TS files

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:44 pm 

dblake wrote:
Wi-Fi: new more robust driver

Yee-ha! It seems to work fine so far. Did an over the air update and it all went nice and fast except for a warning about low space.

Edit... as a tiny nit i just got a false message about in slow charging state, but my fast charger was in use. Didnt go away with a reboot, but went away from an unplug then replug charger.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:03 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Also got the 'slow charge' message, but I've seen that before ; just unplug and plug in again and it's charging fine now.

Upgrade went fine and everything looks OK ... only thing is, I get the impression memory usage is much higher !! When looking at running apps, there's only about 400MB left, that used to be >500MB !! After a fresh boot ...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

My device fails to download the update and when I try to get it from the Archos site I get a 503 forbidden page, it seems the update has been removed for some reason, I've tried contacting archos but am yet to get a reply, anyone else having the same problem?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:19 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

exelletor wrote:
4.1 will come out in 2013, according to some sources.

That is true for the G10 devices, but there has never been any 'honest' verification (so far) that it will ever come out for the G9 devices.

Meanwhile, I find it interesting that Archos decided to FINALLY put out firmware based on Google's Android 4.0.4 (which they should have done way back instead of the crappy 4.0.3 based garbage)... and they did it at a time when Google just released the 4.1.2 upgrade of Jelly Bean for the Nexus 7... which now allows that device to work in landscape mode.

I'd really like to know what all the morons are thinking with these totally idiot half-a..ed upgrades to Android. I mean, why the hell did Google ever have Jelly Bean only running in portrait mode on a 7 inch 'tablet' device to start with? For a cell phone or an e-reader that's OK, but who the heck uses a 'tablet' in portrait mode?

The other thing that REALLY scares me about this Archos update is that it also upgrades the kernel (which is likely why it's not working right for some people). I'm worried that after this update there will be no way at all to ever downgrade back to 3.2.80 Honeycomb... which is the ONLY one that really runs good on the older 'classic' 1Ghz G9's that had only 512Meg of RAM. Seems like most of these upgrades are really steps backwards with only worthless changes to the user interface (just like Microsoft has been doing with Windows).

Anyway, good luck to all of you that do try upgrading. I'm not about to for a long time yet until I see how many problems it cause for the rest of you first.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:25 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

djdribble wrote:
My device fails to download the update and when I try to get it from the Archos site I get a 503 forbidden page, it seems the update has been removed for some reason, I've tried contacting archos but am yet to get a reply, anyone else having the same problem?

Almost looks like Archos is trying to pull the same bogus crap they did before. The download webpage says: "Last update - 27 Sep. 2012", but the firmware changed on Oct. 10, 2012. And, now they seem to be trying to sneak in a different version after they find out there was a problem with it... just like they did in the past.

Best thing to do is just wait at least until next month and see what problems other people have before upgrading.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:41 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Installed it this night on my G9 101 classic. No problem at all. Everything is working fine!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Got the update over the wifi. Updated without any error. So far it looks okay. Appeared a bit slow, but could be just a feeling... But then I also don't have too many apps. Stock launcher, stock browser, no live wallpaper, ......But now it seems the update is pulled...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just discovered my headphones dont work... plugged in or out. Still routes audio through inbuilt speaker. Bummer man. :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:58 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Link is dead. :(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:25 am 

fedge81 wrote:
Just discovered my headphones dont work... plugged in or out. Still routes audio through inbuilt speaker. Bummer man. :(

My 101 earphonejack works ok, at least from builtin music or movie app.

robinhood wrote:
Appeared a bit slow, but could be just a feeling... But then I also don't have too many apps. Stock launcher, stock browser, no live wallpaper,

I think it has to recreate caches and stuff, so is slow at first.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:14 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Has anyone who installed this noticed any improvement in GPS performance?

In particular, anyone who never got a GPS position fix in 4.0.4, are you getting a fix now?

Here's hoping ....

Don.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:54 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

It may be interesting to note that when people started getting the 403 Forbidden error when trying to download...

Right around that same time the information about the 4.0.24 firmware was also REMOVED from the change log. Then, an hour or two later it was back in the change log again, but the server is still spitting out the 403 Forbidden error.

Now, that error can be due to several things, among them are actually restricting access to the file... or, depending on the server, also when there are too many requests for a file. The later would seem very likely with a huge number of people all wanting to download in a mad rush (for what most likely is just another piece of bug filled garbage like ICS was).

However, that does not explain WHY the change log got changed in midstream while they still left the link for downloading 4.0.24 on the webpage. So, clearly someone at Archos does not have a clue about what they are doing (which is something I concluded way back with the mess they made with ICS, including different file sizes with the same version number at times).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:08 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

deet wrote:
Has anyone who installed this noticed any improvement in GPS performance?

In particular, anyone who never got a GPS position fix in 4.0.4, are you getting a fix now?

Here's hoping ....

Don.

Did your GPS work with 3.2.80?

I noticed your sig shows an 80 G9. I just ordered another used 80 from Amazon (first used one I got a month ago the USB jack broke or was already broken, so I never even got it fully charged to even use it). I'm hoping this one comes with Honeycomb still on it though because I really do not see much of anything worth upgrading to ICS (and even less to JB) for the older G9 devices that have only 512Meg RAM. While the last ICS firmware does run on my 101, it still seems more like a joke compared to how much better it ran with HC.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:25 am 

Anyone want to test G10 firmware? That is 4.0.24 also. I don't want to post the link because people will click on it thinking that it's the G9 firmware and download it without reading the text of this post. I would do it, but I'm pretty happy with where my G9 is at right now, everything works perfectly.