Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:42 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 511 Next
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Archos 80 16gb turbo bought from Archos shop, delivered 18th April 2012. Located in England.

The tablet came with 3 point something installed and GPS found satellites and seemed to be working OK although I never took it out in the car. Then connected to WiFi and upgraded to 4.0.5. GPS now definitely not working. No other problems found, WiFi, 3G, media players, touch screen all good.

I was hoping to get a definitive vote of approval from archosfans for the 4.0.6 upgrade before I did it myself but the forum server was offline all day so I went ahead and did a standard overlay without formatting. GPS still not working, all other apps still fine.

Could be my mistake was not doing a clean install as has been pointed out, garbage can be left in Settings but formatting is scary.

@tomsk - looks like a good plan, install 3.2.80 then update to 4.0.6. Did you reset or format at any stage?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:55 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi, my device is an Archos 80 G9 16Gb turbo running latest 4.0.6 official cable upgraded after a full reformat. I had previously tried the stock firmware the tablet came with and the 4.0.5 official also upgraded after a full format. GPS has never worked properly.

Problems:

1- I went out today to try the GPS but although I managed to get some locks it was very unstable and not enough for a smooth navigation.

2- I cannot get the vibration to work at all. At: (settings-Language and input - Android keyboard settings - Advanced settings - key-press vibration duration settings) is greyed out so I cannot select or activate it.

3- My stock browser and also chrome freezes sometimes.

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:53 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Still have problems with wifi on tp link router.
The problem is not the router since all my other devices (2 phones 2 pcs) does not disconnect ,
my archos disconnect every ~30secs, in most cases it manage to reconnect again after few secs, in some cases i need to restart wifi for it to connect.
when I tested other access points the wifi was much more stable.
3.2 did not have his problem.

Eli

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

virtualtoy wrote:
@tomsk - looks like a good plan, install 3.2.80 then update to 4.0.6. Did you reset or format at any stage?

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=64185

That thread explains how to boot into recovery mode and from there you can install any firmware you wish. I've always done a full format before installing a new firmware.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Does anybody have the vibration function working? I cannot get the vibration to work at all. If I go to (settings - Language and input - Android keyboard settings - Advanced settings - key-press vibration duration settings) the option is greyed out so I cannot select or activate it.
I don't know whether the motor is not installed or this option is missing from the firmware or maybe I'm just missing something. (Archos 80 G9 16Gb turbo)

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:02 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Hi,

I have been running on the trial 4.06 (2) so when I upgraded to the official release via a full format and recover, there was not much change.

The GPS is still broken.

If I turn off all Google location services ie use GPS ONLY, it NEVER gets a lock. With the Google location services enabled I get a first time lock after 4-5 minutes, (still a bit slow compared with my mobile phone!

As an aside, I just noticed that the received signal strength varies enormously depending how the tablet is oriented. If you hold it with screen vertical the received signals are extremely low, holding it with the screen horizontal, increased the signal level by several magnitudes.

The Gps performance is no better than with the trial release.

My problem is I want the GPS to work stand alone, I.e. with NO location assists from wifi / internet based servers.

When I first looked at the GPS service routine some weeks ago, looking at real time system message logging, I could see the Tablet GPS service running in an A-GPS (assisted) mode It was looping waiting for:-

1. Time info from the European ntp server,
2. Satellite Data from some internet based servers belonging to a GPS chip manufacturer, however NOT the Archos chip manufacturer btw!

Once the service entered that routine, if there was no internet connection then the GPS service just looped and did not allow the satellite data that was being received to be passed to the GPS user application.

regards

P

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I tried to replicate the scenario that I had with GPS on the 4.0.6 Beta. Did a good lock at home using Wifi, switched off Wifi and moved to a place around 1 mile away. I had the 3G stick inserted but 3G was switched off. Tried GPS Status tool and Google maps. Both would not lock even after 30 min. The GPS Status tool does not even show any satellites. But the GPS symbol on the status bar below showed the white blinking sign indicating somehow it is trying to acquire the satellites. The Googlemap app said something like " your location is temperorily unavailable". The NAVfree app showed "Low GPS".

Tried switching on 3G, and for some reason it would not come on. ( said "Error in connecting"). So switched off the tablet and switched it back on. 3G came on and so did the satellites. google maps locked on within a flash.. But the I switched off 3G , came back home ( probably in 20-25 min) and tried without wifi and 3G, the satellites still showed lock ( probably because the downloaded data was still relatively fresh. - that is my silly assumption)

To me this is still broken. But it seems like somehow GPS stack is not working properly as it was in HC. I mean, my Nokia phone pickedup satellites within about 2 seconds and locked within another sec. The Archos was not even showing presence of any satellites forget about locking. I think this is somehow a configuration/firmware/ issue as the GPS itself was working in HC. I mean the HW is okay..

If Archos provide a log collection app, I can provide logs if that helps. I don't have a rooted tablet, but it may help you find the problems (like it was done for the HDMI issue - just a suggestion). But they know better on what to do..

I am now fed up of moving between various versions. If they ask for specific information that helps problem resolution I can provide provided there is feedback from Archos.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've found a bug!! While charging, if you hold touching blank area on home screen, you will get the screen shaking.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Bug: Touchscreen broken with 4.06

Have a look at this comparison video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPjTyzsF ... e=youtu.be

After upgrading to ICS, the problem appeared again.

I recalibrated the screen like a hundred times (also in recovery mode). Pretty sure there is something wrong with the touchscreen drivers.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:44 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Problems with Skype sound after this firmware update (4.0.6)!

Can NOT hear any sound from the other side (they can hear us clearly)
Both on audo call and video call as well.
Skype version 2.8 (newest)

This is not the case before this update.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:59 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

JTHS wrote:

I can't remember if it was different before, but I concur; Skype audio only works one way (at least with a video call), so the G9 user can't hear the third party.

Ian

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:27 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

GPS works fine. Even indoors within 15 seconds satellites start to appear and I get a lock soon after. No wifi problems either. Flash videos, despite my earlier optimism after a recent Flash update still exhibits an audio sync issue.

Ian

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:29 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I can't remember if it was different before, but I concur; Skype audio only works one way (at least with a video call), so the G9 user can't hear the third party.

Ian

Ian,
that's not true...the audio works always perfect (I can hear the third party) even when I do video call.
Now it's not! Even when I install the old skype version again (2.6).

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,

First post on this forum. I'm really getting fed-up with the ICS wireless issue.

Only way I can get my Archos 80 G9 to connect to wireless is to sit next
to my router (Draytek Vigor 2900 vg) and reboot it and while it's rebooting
switch wireless off/on on my Archos. Once it is connected it gradually seems
to loose signal then disconnects. The 4.0.6 upgrade doesn't seem to have fixed
it.

It was working perfectly ok before ICS. It does seem to stay connected
to other wireless points a bit longer but still drops out after a while. My router is
ok because my laptop/Wii / TV all stay connected ok.

Anyone have any suggestions other then wiping and re-installing Honeycomb ?

I've tried making the SSID all capitals etc. :( No luck

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Last Friday I reported that GPS now works for me. Sunday I tried again, and guess what: only 1 satellite found after 20 minutes (=> no fix!), even with WIFI enabled, at precisely the same location where I placed the tablet for my checks on Friday. - I have no idea what's going on here... :cry:

As for the vibration, to the best of my knowledge there is no motor any longer for the newer hardware revisions of the tablet: I bought my first Archos 80 G9 (1GHz; 8GB RAM) in October last year, shortly after it became available in Europe. That unit came with vibration, but after a firmware update, this feature was gone. - I returned the tablet due to the infamous display problem a week later. Two month later (in December 2011) I decided to give Archos another chance, after I had read several weeks before that the display problem had been confirmed by Archos and they reported it to be fixed in production, so all new units should not be affected any longer. But even though I waited with my order until a new batch arrived, the unit I received still suffered from the same issue! - Nevertheless, I briefly installed a tool to check the hardware components before I returned it for the second time, and found that there was no motor for vibration installed at all. - By the way, that first version actually weighed about 480g (17 oz), as advertised by Archos, but the second one weighed more than 525g (18.5 oz). So there had obviously been a major hardware revision.

Also note that there is at least an English version of the manual for ICS online in the meantime:
http://www.archos.com/manuals/G9home.htm
This revision of the manual does not mention vibration any longer.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:13 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

So far I have not had a repeat of the freeze when swiping problem that I reported against 4.0.5.

Actually, I have not had any freezes since updating to 4.0.6.

Don.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

both my 80 and my wife's 101 have increased freezing when using Firefox after the 4.0.6 update
Ian

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

After updating to 4.06 firmware on my archos 80 g9, I cannot hear my friends on Skype, very disappointed. Worked fine before, any news on a solution.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:20 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

After updating from beta 0.6 to final 0.6, the tablet has stabilized massively. Went from a couple of freezes\reboots a day to 72hours before first crash. And those were some intense hours on the tablet mostly varying between wordfeud and the dolphin browser (and means a lot screenusage which the beta just couldn't handle) but also opened and tested every single app installed (115 according to App2SD which only covers the externally installed apps). Did have to clear apps using a mem.manager after a while tho as it noticeably had an effect on performance.

Have also noticed that the screen needs more frequent recalibration now and have also run into the homescreen-jiggle issue when trying to change icon positioning. Needed a recal to fix so definitely something still not working properly with the display drivers imho.

Have used the tab in a few locations now and can definitely say a major improvement to wifi connectivity and reconnect.

Much thanks to the Archos team for improving on Google once again!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:28 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

No GPS!

And Why can't we move apps to SD card? That is crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 511 Next