Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:47 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Sorry Superpat but you are totally wrong.

Quote:
The Archos GPS uses the cell phone method of GPS location, that is known as "ASSISTED GPS" 0r A-GPS, (using WIFI not phone network)

The chip in the Archos tablet is a fully functioning GPS chip. It does NOT need wifi or 3G to operate. Most of the problems experienced by G9 tablet users are caused by ICS. I purchased my tablet in March 80G9 16Gbyte 1.5 Turbo. I had problems from the start after I upgraded to ICS with freezes and force closes and reverted back to Honeycomb. I have used my tablet extensively for navigation in the USA and Germany and have had no problems getting a lock, even indoors. I dont have a 3G dongle and never use the wifi for a fix. If yxou are having problems with GPS on your unit then switch back to Honeycomb. If that doesn't work then you have a faulty chip. Send your unit back.
Having said all that if you do have wifi enabled the chip is capable of using AGPS to get a quicker fix.

I can get a fix even indoors (more than my dedicated Navigon GPS unit is capable of).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:16 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Hi, like I said before, my GPS works fine :wink: on ICS.

I just checked again, indoors, switched OFF Wi-Fi, no 3G stick or BT GPS device, no reboot:

It took maybe two minutes to get a fix with 7 sats in view, 5 in use, accuracy 20 feet.

And indoors means lots of concrete overhead and two meters from the double glazing window.

Regarding the 4.0.6, I still do experience:
> freezes
>Jabra 3030 BT stereo headset stutters during HD video playback

Greets, T.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:15 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Superpat is not wrong, just because the g9s contain a GPS chip does not mean they cannot use AGPS. The assist is there is provide initial ephemeris data so that a cold start will take seconds or minutes rather than many minutes or hours.

Folks, please do not keep posting that your GPS on HC or ICS works and, by implication, we are doing something wrong/different if ours does not work. We know about the work-arounds, we have a good idea about how GPS works, we have used other GPS devices. Please accept that some of us have g9 tablets which have non-functional GPS units and that it is not our fault that they do not work. Maybe Archos can fix it with a firmware release, but I doubt it.

What I would like to hear is an explanation from Archos.

Don.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

There is also an issue with Skype and Google Talk, where during a call it is impossible to hear the person on the other end.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Android/A ... d-p/735852

The only way round apparently is to downgrade to 4.0.5.

Also I did not notice any increase / decrease in freezes and reboots between the two versions.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hey Tweety, have you ever had your bluetooth audio working without stutter on another firmware version?

The first thing i did with my 80 turbo was update it to 4.0.6 so I havent experienced the other versions or Honeycomb.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:27 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

x3mxs wrote:
There is also an issue with Skype and Google Talk, where during a call it is impossible to hear the person on the other end.

Also I did not notice any increase / decrease in freezes and reboots between the two versions.

they put out a test firmware you can optionally try. it fixes skype issues.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:23 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

superpat wrote:
I am getting very frustrated with people commenting "My GPS works fine"
If you are going to comment on your Archos GPS performance, please quote:-

1. With WIFI on or off (or 3 usb mobile internet stick)
2. Was system rebooted just prior to using GPS
3. Time taken to get working locked GPS

I have a G9 80 classic, which has been upgraded through a series of honeycomb and ICS versions as they came available from Archos, without any reformatting.

I have been running with GPS disabled for a few weeks, so any cached ephemeris data would be out of date. Today, In response to Patrick's post, I disabled wifi and 3G, rebooted, enabled GPS and then quickly started GPS Test. The app almost immediate reported seeing 4 satellites with signal strengths between 20 and 45. After about 2 minutes it got a lock, and the number of satellites went up to 9.

I think that qualifies as 'working fine'. Of course there may be a daemon running behind my back that periodically downloads new ephemeris data even though I normally have gps disabled - but I am not going to leave wifi off for a week or so to see if this makes a difference.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:52 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

bunyip wrote:
Hey Tweety, have you ever had your bluetooth audio working without stutter on another firmware version?

The first thing i did with my 80 turbo was update it to 4.0.6 so I havent experienced the other versions or Honeycomb.

Nope, the stutter has been there since HC. On easy AVI files my BT headset works as long as I don't FFW or SKIP during the video. During HD mkvs there is always stutter. I was successfully using the same headset on the A70 IT Gen 8 before.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:00 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

sper56 wrote:
x3mxs wrote:

they put out a test firmware you can optionally try. it fixes skype issues.

My apologies for the repetition, but my Skype IS working on the OTA 4.0.6. I have no doubts that your problems are real, but on my A80 Turbo HDD Skype works. I have NOT downloaded any test firmware.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:17 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have to minor problems with this stable firmware.

1. The latest version of the Netflix app forces the app to hard crash when just browsing within the netflix's UI for a few mins.

2. The beyond podcast manger for honeycomb hard crashes the tablet when playing videos.

Those are my main problems with this stable firmware that i can find.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

TweetyRJ85 wrote:
My apologies for the repetition, but my Skype IS working on the OTA 4.0.6. I have no doubts that your problems are real, but on my A80 Turbo HDD Skype works. I have NOT downloaded any test firmware.

An audio bug with Skype in firmware version 4.0.6 was confirmed by Archos:
viewtopic.php?p=399425#p399425

However, there is another discussion in this forum that Archos obviously revised the "official" firmware 4.0.6 without changing the revision number. - In other words, somebody who updated to 4.0.6 within 5 days or so after it was released (on 3rd of May) might have a different firmware 4.0.6 installed than somebody who did the update two weeks later. It would not surprise me if the reason for this undocumented change would be the Skype audio fix.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:01 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Possibly, I waited until June 8 before I performed the update 4.0.6.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:49 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Me too....ota around Wk1 June...so....is it a wipe and re-load rather than just an ota to fix skype I wonder ? Either ways waiting for 4.0.7...if it ever comes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:09 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Regarding the Skype issue (can't hear audio over built-in speaker on Skype calls)...

I just bought the 80 G9 on Friday and upgraded to 4.0.6 over wifi. And my unit had the Skype issue!

I found the issue described in this archosfans thread, which pointed to a "TEST4" version of the 4.0.6 firmware. Once I installed that firmware, Skype worked fine.

So based on my experience, it doesn't seem like Archos has updated the default 4.0.6 firmware to include the fix. Just because you installed 4.0.6 fairly recently, don't assume that you have the fix for this Skype issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:19 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

discman017 wrote:
Regarding the Skype issue (can't hear audio over built-in speaker on Skype calls)...

I just bought the 80 G9 on Friday and upgraded to 4.0.6 over wifi. And my unit had the Skype issue!

I found the issue described in this archosfans thread, which pointed to a "TEST4" version of the 4.0.6 firmware. Once I installed that firmware, Skype worked fine.

So based on my experience, it doesn't seem like Archos has updated the default 4.0.6 firmware to include the fix. Just because you installed 4.0.6 fairly recently, don't assume that you have the fix for this Skype issue.

Yes, the skype issue has not changed in 4.0.6 official...however, something has.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:29 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

zandoli wrote:
zandoli wrote:
Archos Media Center for Gen9 has problems streaming smb and uPnP shares.
Wifi signal drops. Router reboots.

AMC works pretty well when streaming to my Gen7 Archos 5 IT.
Wifi signal does not drop. Router does not reboot.

Archos please work this bug out.
I compromised by buying the 8 GB because I thought streaming from home network would be perfect.

Cheers

Today I made a change in my router settings and wifi seems very stable now.
I made WAN IP static (not LAN IP on G9). I just used the last DHCP IP (eg. x.x.x.x) that I got from the cable modem and changed the Default Gateway to x.x.x.1 .
The router still gives out DHCP addresses.

Streaming smb shares now works over very long periods.
I even paused for about an hour and it was still connected when I got back to it.

My other devices including my older Archos 5 Internet Tablet worked well with the WAN IP DHCP setting.
I do not know why the router was failing whenever the G9 got connected.

The Archos 101 G9 has the latest (4.0.6 Test4) firmware which is the most stable. Archos G9 has not crashed once after installing on May 22 .
GPS also works well.

I do not have flash installed. Will install later.

I really hope the experience stays that way.

ps. From today I will always have to remember WAN IP may need to change after a power failure, or reset of the cable modem. :cry:

Changed my router to Medialink Wireless N Router MWN-WAPR150N

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005P0 ... 03_s00_i00

I no longer have WiFi drops.
(I had to switch WPS off because G9 would not connect with it enabled)
SMB streaming works quite well.

AMC UPnP streaming of video does not work with G9 (audio streaming works). I get an error before file starts playing. "Cannot play video. File is damaged or incomplete"
BubbleUPnP with BSPlayer works quite well.

AMC still works pretty well when streaming to my Gen7 Archos 5 IT.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello all!

I purchased my first Archos tablet (Archos 80 G9) last Friday. I do not know very much about the company, but was looking for a cheap tablet for my children to use. :)

Out of the box I immediately upgraded to 4.06 and ran smack into two issues 1) one-way audio on Skype/Groove IP 2) no GPS. After finding this forum online, and there a lot of good members here, I have upgraded to 4.06 Test 4 and solved the one-way audio issues! :D :D :D Yeah!

Unless I missed reading post, there does not appear to be a GPS fix yet. Is that correct?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I did a clean install (formatted the "disk") of ICS 4.0.6 and then GPS works!

FW 4.0.7 is available now!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:29 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks GerritRG. I will install 4.0.7 tonight and post my results.