Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:29 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 511 Next
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:38 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

ifb wrote:
The more I see such a divergent range of experiences the more I am convinced it is the hardware that is to blame for problems because the firmware is a constant.

I think it is a little more complex than that, as for basically all reported problems there are additional variables people might not even think about. For example, when it comes to WIFI stability, there are different types of access points, encryption methods, connection speeds; even using a special character in the SSID might be the reason why it works for one user, but not for another.
GPS functionality might depend on your location (inside/outside, Europe/US/Australia/...), weather conditions, interference with radar or radio, "garbage" left in the settings if you did not wipe your tablet after upgrading from Android 3.2 to 4.0, etc.
There are certainly differences for the hardware revisions, but unless somebody reports that for two different Archos G9 tablets, running the same firmware at the same location and after a wipe, one would get a GPS fix within a minute and the other does not within an hour (or one would connect to a specific WIFI access point and the other would not), I don't think this is likely to be the reason for the observed problems.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:42 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello,
I have a archos G9 80 Classic en have done the update to 4.0.6.
The problems with using the SD-card are solved.
This card is Fat32 and I can write and read to the card.

Also my tablet works with a sdcard in the G3 port.
That card is NTFS so i can not write to it only reading.
For video, foto's and e-books it is good.

I have no problems with the Wifi.

But the GPS is not working.
I live in The Netherlands/Rotterdam and today it is very cloudy maybe that wil not help the GPS working.
I try with GPS-Status and GPS-Test. When I start then it will find some satelites but it gives not a lock to hold the satelites, it find from 13 to zero satelites. Even with Wifi on or off it makes no diferance.

My Nav-system (Garmin) works wel and my smartfone Samsung mini work also with GPS today, why not my Archos tablet?

I hope that Archos find a solution!

Rein Hoen

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:22 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

viriato wrote:
ifb wrote:
viriato wrote:
Is rebooting itself one time per hour. Is time to update android version to 4.0.5.
I┬┤m very disappointed. How sony and other make stable releases and Archos dont?
This is not chinese. :cry:

ps: A80S-V5, OMAP 4430 ES2.3.

Have you installed 4.0.6?

Ian

Yes. Dont forget android version is still 4.0.3

I meant the firmware version number (it might be helpful for Archos to use a different numbering system as it is certainly confusing).

When you installed 4.0.6 firmware did you do a clean install, formatting the system, or did you overlay without erasing the previous firmware?

I don't know if I was just lucky or it's the best method, but I simply installed 4.0.6 without erasing the previous firmware. My tablet works almost perfectly - only audio sync on flash video playback is not right. The YouTube app is perfect, though.

My previous G9 crashed all the time and it was accepted by my supplier that there was a hardware fault. The replacement was much better but still not perfect until I installed the test version of 4.0.6. The release version of 4.0.6 also works well for me.

Ian

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:26 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ever since updating to 4.0.6 I am experiencing a crash/reboot issue when using a HDMI-VGA converter (Asus EP Mini HDMI-VGA Adapter, EeePad TF101) on my 101 G9, ergo, I cannot use VGA projectors anymore which is a big issue in my case. I imagine it to be a problem with the TV overscan fix... (Except for poor resolution, it worked with 4.0.5.)
HDMI itself works perfectly though.

Please fix it :)

Other than that it seems to be working just fine for now :)

-D

EDIT:
Just started randomly crashing on PlayStore etc.... :|

Last edited by derd85 on Fri May 04, 2012 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

ifb wrote:
I meant the firmware version number (it might be helpful for Archos to use a different numbering system as it is certainly confusing).

When you installed 4.0.6 firmware did you do a clean install, formatting the system, or did you overlay without erasing the previous firmware?

I don't know if I was just lucky or it's the best method, but I simply installed 4.0.6 without erasing the previous firmware. My tablet works almost perfectly - only audio sync on flash video playback is not right. The YouTube app is perfect, though.

My previous G9 crashed all the time and it was accepted by my supplier that there was a hardware fault. The replacement was much better but still not perfect until I installed the test version of 4.0.6. The release version of 4.0.6 also works well for me.

Ian

I only make a clean install(formating the drive) from 3 to 4.
It crash suddenly(rebooting itself) even if i dont touching. It crash with Chrome Beta to.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I installed the "4.0.6 Test" version using a clean install ( format etc..) from 3.2.80 and for a while the GPS seemed okay. But once when I disabled Wifi, enabled 3G and moved about 5 miles from where I live to turn on GPS, the maps and "GPS status" tool would not show any satellites and will not lock even after 30 min.. I am not sure what else I did in between. Anyway, powering off the tablet and powering back on did not help. The "GPS status" has a function to download satellite data. It was downloaded using 3G but then Google maps showed my location quite a distance from where I actually was, 2 lanes away, but the "GPS Status" tool still won't show any satellites. So I assumed the GPS was still broken after all.

Then I saw the new firmware, upgraded my Archos using the "transfer to tablet from PC" method using windows explorer. Upgrade was okay and I tried the GPS again. It will not lock. same as previously; rest everything seemed okay.

So I did a complete reformat of the tablet and reinstalled official 4.0.6. Now the GPS seems to be working, but I will have to try and replicate the scenario that I did previously to make sure that the GPS is working fine when I really need it. Hope it is fixed. But first experience does not tell me it is..

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:27 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

After the update I can't access shared folders in other computers in my network (smb)!!!!
This is a major problem for me!!!!
How do I revert to previous version?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

dmelina wrote:
After the update I can't access shared folders in other computers in my network (smb)!!!!

Have you tried enabling Network shares option in your Wifi settings ? I am sure you have , but just in case ?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

dmelina wrote:

Another important addition I just noticed: After turning the wi-fi off and on again I can't even connect to the internet, even though I can connect with other wifi devices in the network!!
you totally screwed this update!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:31 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

dmelina wrote:
dmelina wrote:

Another important addition I just noticed: After turning the wi-fi off and on again I can't even connect to the internet, even though I can connect with other wifi devices in the network!!

Try deleting your network, restart then add network again.

Also for your shares, try deleting them restarting and adding again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

zandoli wrote:
dmelina wrote:
dmelina wrote:

Thanks, but that's what I tried after my first post, and the result was my second post - which is even worse.
Tomorrow I will have the opportunity to test the Wi-Fi connection on a different network, and I will see if it behaves differently.
Still pretty s***ty update if this is the result.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Everything works great on mine. EXCEPT its so god-damn slow. Jerk Jerk Jerk. 3.8 was smooth flicking between screens - web browsing etc. But every version of 4.x jerk jerk jerk. Is this a RAM problem, Is anybody on Archos aware of this - could you confirm there is a problem with this ?

I mean one can live with this but it isn't the fun object its supposed to be. I have bought over twenty of these, I sure won't be buying Archos the next time. A low end phone can run ICS smoothly. What's the problem ?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, but that's what I tried after my first post, and the result was my second post - which is even worse.
Tomorrow I will have the opportunity to test the Wi-Fi connection on a different network, and I will see if it behaves differently.
Still pretty s***ty update if this is the result.

OK in addition to the things you suggested that I did before,
I reset the router after "forgetting" the connection in the tablet again, and then rebooted the tablet...
and now it works again.
I was ready to kill someone already....

Thanks for responding and reminding me that sometimes with the archos you need to reset everything to make it work again.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:26 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I can confirm that you can still re-install 3.2.80 after installing 4.0.6

Don.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Still got WIFI problems. I'm going back to 3.2

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:46 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Nightsurfer wrote:
ifb wrote:
The more I see such a divergent range of experiences the more I am convinced it is the hardware that is to blame for problems because the firmware is a constant.

I think it is a little more complex than that, as for basically all reported problems there are additional variables people might not even think about. For example, when it comes to WIFI stability, there are different types of access points, encryption methods, connection speeds; even using a special character in the SSID might be the reason why it works for one user, but not for another.
GPS functionality might depend on your location (inside/outside, Europe/US/Australia/...), weather conditions, interference with radar or radio, "garbage" left in the settings if you did not wipe your tablet after upgrading from Android 3.2 to 4.0, etc.
There are certainly differences for the hardware revisions, but unless somebody reports that for two different Archos G9 tablets, running the same firmware at the same location and after a wipe, one would get a GPS fix within a minute and the other does not within an hour (or one would connect to a specific WIFI access point and the other would not), I don't think this is likely to be the reason for the observed problems.

I was thinking location too for gps issues...however I have noticed, and many others too, while their G9 might have issue connecting to GPS, theyre phone connects perfectly. Thats why Im thinking its a bug in the software. Perhaps a combination of hardware/software

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Update on-the-air to 4.0.6 until "optimizing the (95) apps". Then the system rebootet, and rebootet, and showed the Startup-Screen for about 30 Minuten. Then I forced a power-off. After power on, the optimizing screen came again. This time with 45 apps to optimize. Then the Archos 80 G9 Turbo (1.5GHz, 1024MB, ICS Version) was up and running.
Internet is working, network shares are working.
GPS was always working - if GPS was activ on power-on. If I had GPS disabled and startet afterwards, no Sat-positions were found (for a long time). Had to reboot then. Now I got 3 Sat-Positions inside, near the window. Guess that┬┤s better than before.
Just got scared when seeing the "Achos" Startup-Screen for 30 minutes. But now, everything seems fine. With 4.0.5 there were 2-3 freezes a day. Mostly when surfing the web. Hope this got better.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Working with a 80 G9 non-turbo. My tablet is set up to connect to two different networks right now. When I connect to my software hotspot which uses the free version of connectify to extend my connection from my dlink wireless n router after several minutes it will randomly decide to disconnect and switch to my more reliable but weaker wireless G router that is set up with all caps ssid. This occurred with 4.0.5 B2 and 4.0.6 official. Installed software hotspots in between the two releases to try to solve signal strength issues in case that was the problem.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:36 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've two problems that appeard after the upgrade to ICS and still persist with this latest firmware:

- I've a lot of photos in a SD card, over several folders. The gallery app shows these folders but when I open one I get duplicate photos or black thumbs, two for each photo more or less... This affects some of the folders but not all...I've removed the cache and data files of gallery in apps settings and manually, reboot the device in the process but nothing worked

- When I connect the device to a PC, navigating the SD card I get three folder entries per each directory in the SD -- for instance, a "music" folder appears three times in Windows... I've format the card and moved back the directories but the problem persists

Anyone with the same problems? Fix suggestions? Googling seems that the gallery problem is present in other Android devices...

This latest firmware is more stable but I didnt't had major issues with 4.0.5 except GPS that seems solved now.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Installed 4.0.6 on mine.
GPS didn't work even after reboots. :(
Re-installed 3.2.80
GPS worked again. :)
Re-installed 4.0.6 again.
GPS works! Better than under 3.2.80 :D

Whole tablet does seem a little more sluggish than before.

So far so good.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 511 Next