Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:52 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

After the 4.0.25 update I noticed the charger connection seemed very intermittent. It would change quickly from no charge to slow charge to fast charge. Fiddling around with it I managed to get it to stay connected by propping it up on the charge connection.

I thought it wasn't really related to the update because it was acting more like a loose connection inside. I RMA'd it. I received a replacement unit yesterday after about a week.

Good news - it works ok so far with the update OTA.

Bad news - the unit I sent them was a turbo G9 80 8GB, but the replacement is a standard.

So I've contacted them to see what they'll do about it.

Regards
Michael

Edit: Just to follow up on the story. They RMA'd the 2nd one. I received a Turbo version last week. And all seems well. Shouldn't have happened, but they did straighten it out.

Last edited by mmnich on Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:59 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I had a 80 G9 Turbo flash version whose 3G port went kaput. Because it was under warranty got an Archos RMA and in return I got a 250GB HDD Turbo version although I had no need for that kind of storage. But I noticed that the 250GB version needs a separate charger to charge as opposed to the flash version which could charge from the USB port and was very convenient for me, especially on my long overseas travels. The 250 GB version does not charge on a USB cable.

But I had a USB charger cable lying around which was part of an old Bluetooth headset and its dc plug is the same as the archos one. I plugged it in my Archos dc port, plugged other end to my laptop USB and it started charging. No slow charge message.. So far it has not damaged my USB port (it’s a USB 2.0) or the archos itself.. Not sure if this is damaging in the long term, but for me it’s useful to be able to charge from the Laptop USB port.

I checked the pinouts of the cable and it seems the datapins ( D+/D-) are shorted, and the Vcc/ Gnd pins are connected to the dc plug. Interestingly, when I look at the power drawn by the USB port it does not show any current at all and I am using Windows 7. It reports power consumed by my other devices like my Bluetooth adapter, mouse etc but not this one. I am assuming probably because the data ports are shorted (?). The charging time also seems reasonable as it charges from about 80% to 100 % in about 15 min. I have the 4.0.26 installed.

In the interest of safety I don’t recommend anyone do this and damage their machines, this is just a practical observation I made. I am sure people who are more knowledgeable about these can shed light on what is right and wrong in this..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:38 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hey guys,
Having the same issues as you discribe here.

The evening I always plug in the Archos 80 G9 Turbo 1,5GHz 8GB into the wall so it is fully charged the day after. Sometimes when I wake up it is very deep discharged (blinking LED).

Last night I plugged it in as usual and this morning it only had 53% charged. My partner used the tablet this morning and after I plugged it back into the wall and took this screenshot:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/e ... directlink

It's Dutch language and the bottom green bar is CHARGING, but as you can see on the graph the charge is DECREASING. I also noticed a slow charge message in my notification bar, it comes and it goes, very strange. (I think I did not have this with older firmware, but then the tablet and the connector was younger)

Suggestions? :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

according to slow charging in ARCHOS 101G9 as following
In USB adepter side we have 4 cable Black, Red, Green & white
Black is connected to Ground (-)
Red is connected to Positive (+)
White to Data (-D)
Green to Data (+D)
solution is to to joint Green and white
you need connect green with white cable in USB adapter

i have photo but cant to upload it.

i try it on my tablet and Workssssssss

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:48 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

my archos 80 g9 is messing up when i plug it up to charge in starts to charge and then it stops and thin it starts to charge and thin it stops i don't know if it the cord or the port please help me :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :doubt: :doubt: :doubt: :doubt: :doubt: :doubt: :doubt:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:47 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I purchased the 10b g3 back in April. To my surprise inside the box was the 10c g3... last week, it got knocked over, and the charging pin snapped. I've been trying to read up on this for months, but all I could find was the 10b and 10d "can't" charge through USB. But through experimenting, I found plugging it in to my iPhone charger through the USB port located at the bottom, it would say it was in fact "charging". Now, while this wasn't the case, it would maintain the battery from depleting, meaning the 5v .5a USB current was maintaining status quo. So, after the charger broke, I set out to experiment further. I had an old Motorola charger floating around, so I spliced the USB plug from it to the end of the supplied charger (which isn't USB, but is 5v @ 2A). After a few tries, and realising how my Archos 43 doesn't charge unless it's not in use, I decided to attempt it the same way. It is, in fact, charging. I hope this helps anyone with the same problem who needs a quick fix whilst waiting for a new charger in the mail.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:55 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

the fact that i've actually made an account for this forum based on archos' shittyness says it all, i've had my archos 80 g9 for a year, now i have a red frame/border around every application that i use, firmware is up to date as far as i'm aware and archos wont charge even if i paid it!! 5 hours for 5% of battery you've got to be joking right? What makes matters worse is that because the charger connection is yet so bloody common, the charger i need has been misplaced, fabulous! can't buy one off the internet these days through fear of being blown up via wall socket! scam artists, so i am well and truly buggered! all i wanted was to kill time in work, now i end up killing IT!!!!!! :(

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:34 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The Guidance was very useful for me.(Especially hold power key for 20 seconds)
Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

If I do not have the original charger can you advise where to get one?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi mates,

found an interesting solution on youtube which works fine.

Link is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-pjLIVI...

It is actually about a NEXUS 7 but it is fair enough.

For the Archos: look twice the film, remove backcover of ARCHOS, prepare the USB-cable, connect it with the black cable and the red one (near the black one) on the board. Wait a little bit (5 minutes). Thing is that the LED must turn green without blinking. After the 5 minutes plug in another loader cable into the usb port of the ARCHOS. LED should blink now. Power up your ARCHOS. Smile. I did.

Knie, Belgium

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:44 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

mls wrote:
6) IMPORTANT NOTE: DO NOT press and hold the power button to shut down the device or select shut down anytime it is connected to the charger!!! That will cause it to totally shut down, including turn off the charging processor circuitry. The power LED will go off and it will NEVER charge at all in that condition. That is why it will (usually) try to show a warning that it can NOT charge if turned off. So, just leave it alone and let it do its thing charging itself!!!

Okay, I think I've done that :?
So what can I do now??

My tablet has been unused for 1 week.
When I plug the power adapter into the wall outlet, it looks as described that the "charging circuitry" isn't working: The power LED is red, the power adapter stays always cold: even after 24h plugged to the wall outlet.
When unplugged, no LED are lit.

So, what can I do??? The guarantee ended 3 months ago... :?

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:18 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ive recently obtained a refurbished 101 G9 and im experiencing some issues with charging myself. When the tablet is turned on and playing a movie (Screen turned down and volume off) i monitor the charge progress. It varies wildly, one minute it shows 43% then drops to 19% and then up to 26%, all within a matter of minutes of each reading. Ive even downloaded a couple of Apps that supposedly control the charge with intelligent thinking, and i get the same results. Have i got a duff unit?