Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:11 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:25 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I've seen a large number of people having problems with charging their Archos G9 devices. I've also seen some totally
ridiculous solutions posted in these forums about how to fix it like "put on a hot water bottle" (which even for those that "think" it works actually works for a totally different reason). No real electronic technician would ever tell you to ever apply any heat to an electronic device because heat is the biggest enemy of electronics in general. So, I'll try to explain a few things here that most new users do not understand about how the Archos G9 devices operate/charge.

When I first got mine, I noticed that either:

a) When the push them into the bag for shipping it may be pushing on the power button causing the device to be turned on before it even leaves the factory.

OR

b) During shipping the power button gets pushed to turn it on.

Either way, it ends up with the battery being just about totally dead when the user gets it. Mine started up long just long enough to show it had ONLY a 3% charge... which is way too low to operate for much more than a few seconds at most.

Too make matters worse, Archos does not fully explain how the power LED can be blinking when it has fully charge verses how it can also be blinking if the battery is so low (totally discharged) that it can not start up when the charger is plugged in. And then there's the notice that it can only charge if it is turned on, which seems to have totally confused some people. So, here's my thinking (from experience) about how to solve all the charging problems people have...

1) Unplug everything you may have connected to the device. That included any USB, microSD card, and also the charger cable.

2) Press and hold the power button for at least 10 second (better to hold it for maybe 20) just to make sure the device has totally shut down and is turned off.

3) Plug in the charger cable and plug the power adapter into the wall outlet. ONLY USE the cable and charger that came with the Archos G9 device for charging!!! That cable has heavier gauge wires to allow more current, and their charger has a higher amperage rating than many others.

4) Do NOT worry about whether the power LED comes on or is blinking at this point because it could be blinking simply because the battery is so low that it can not start up to properly. Instead, watch it for a bit to see if it does one of these:

a) The screen lights up and starts to display the Archos logo.

b) The screen does NOT light up, but the power LED starts blinking.

If it does either of the above, then just leave it alone and let it charge. It will take roughly 5 hours normally, but can
take more than 12 hours if the battery was totally depleted.

5) Do NOT try to use it while it is charging, or at least keep any use to a bare minimum with the screen brightness turned all the way down. The best thing to do (assuming it does come up and run) is to:

a) Turn the screen brightness all the way down.

b) Turn off Wifi and 3G Stick (if you have one).

c) Tap the power button just one short tap so that it goes into stand-by.

d) Then just leave it along and do NOT mess around with it until it is fully charged again!!!

6) IMPORTANT NOTE: DO NOT press and hold the power button to shut down the device or select shut down anytime it is connected to the charger!!! That will cause it to totally shut down, including turn off the charging processor circuitry. The power LED will go off and it will NEVER charge at all in that condition. That is why it will (usually) try to show a warning that it can NOT charge if turned off. So, just leave it alone and let it do its thing charging itself!!!

It's this last part that is why some have managed to get their device to charge with totally idiot ideas like "put it on a hot water bottle" have actually ever worked. The REAL REASON is simply because they finally just quit messing around with it and let it charge long enough to work again. There simply is no magic in a water bottle when it comes to electronics!

PLEASE ALSO NOTE that it is almost impossible to ever charge from a computer USB port connection (which is why it will show "slow charge"). A computer USB port (at best) can only provide roughly a third of the amount of amperage that the Archos charger is capable of.

ALSO NOTE that even when the real Archos charger (and cable) is plugged in that if you try to do much of anything with the device that power level may actually still continue to go down. The charger just does not have enough power to handle the screen being on and everything else you may be trying to do to still have enough left to also recharge the battery.

In short, just plug it in to charge, leave it alone, and go to bed yourself. Odds are that it will be fully charged and work just fine when you get up.

If it does not work with the above mentioned steps then it may have a serious hardware problem and you should return it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:00 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

(The original post applies to the flash-based models, which are charged via the micro-USB socket; for these, Archos supply a 1.5A wall-wart with a USB-A socket, and a USB cable. For the HDD units, there is a separate power socket on the device, and Archos supply a different plug & cable. If the battery is flat, the flash-based models will first just trickle-charge until there is enough battery power to enable the USB chips that can negotiate how much power can be taken from the 'host device' - which could be a charger, USB hub or a computer. At this point, the tablet will either (a) decide it does not recognise the host device, and take no power from it; (b) decide it does not know much about the host device, and take just the maximum it is allowed to do without negotiation (500mA) and put up a 'slow-charge' notice; or, (c) think it is the official charger or a close-enough facsimile, and take as much as it can. For the last option, one hope that the host device does not deliver so much power that it overheats!)

(perhaps someone with an HDD device could add something about how their device operates?)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Good write up.

I have not been following the "won't charge" threads so I apologize if this was answered elsewhere. I'm curious to find out since the device must be powered on to charge, if the battery drains completely where the unit will not power on, does that meant that it can not be charged at that point?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:42 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thor20003 wrote:
I'm curious to find out since the device must be powered on to charge, if the battery drains completely where the unit will not power on, does that meant that it can not be charged at that point?
Assuming you are talking about a flash-based model, then my earlier response applies:
Quote:
f the battery is flat, the flash-based models will first just trickle-charge until there is enough battery power to enable the USB chips that can negotiate how much power can be taken from the 'host device' - which could be a charger, USB hub or a computer.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:08 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Thor20003 wrote:
Good write up.

I have not been following the "won't charge" threads so I apologize if this was answered elsewhere. I'm curious to find out since the device must be powered on to charge, if the battery drains completely where the unit will not power on, does that meant that it can not be charged at that point?

Thanks

Well, here's the problem, Nigel tried to point out a different situation with the HDD models (thanks Nigel, sorry I don't have one to know all about those "finer" details).

Anyway, if you have a flash memory only model...

As I tried to point out in my original post above... if the device is actually turned off (why I recommended holding down the power button for at least 10 seconds) just to make sure...

When you plug in the charger cable it will try to start up all by itself (if the battery is not so far totally dead than it can't). I guess I should try to clarify a minor point in my original post though because there is one thing that gets a bit tricky that can mess up a few people. If the device is trying to do anything at the power LED will either be on or will be flashing. As long as that LED is lighting up or flashing it will eventually charge (unless the device is totally defective). So, just let it do it's thing for at least 5 hours or so before trying to mess with it.

A key, and VERY IMPORTANT POINT, I tried to make in my original post is about that warning that the device displays that it can not charge if it is turned off. This is only important if the device has already turned itself back on after you plug in the charger. If you then try hold the power button so it displays the power stand-by and power off option... and then select to turn off (or press and hold it for 10 seconds trying to do a reset)... it will just turn off, and basically nuke the charging part of things... and end up with it (if you're lucky) going all the way down to just a trickle charge level (which could take over a whole day to ever charge).

Here's the one thing I forgot to mention (and maybe Nigel can fill in further details on the HDD models)...

If it doesn't seem to be charging, just unplug the charger for about half a minute or so and plug it in again.

Basically, it amounts to this, just plug in the the cable and charger that came from Archos and just go to bed and forget about. Do NOT start messing around pressing the power button or trying to figure out if it is or is not charging. Just leave it too do its thing and it WILL eventually charge. Doing ANYTHING else can force it into a far slower charging mode that you really don't want.

Now, if for some weird reason you think it will be more comfy on a water bottle (not recommended), or a pillow or sofa cushion that's up to you, but it REALLY will not do anything that will make it charge any faster. The real key to things is to just quit messing around with trying to figure out if it is charging or not. Just leave it "to do it's thing". The more you mess with it, the less change it has to do what it need to.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Also, make sure the plug is facing down, so that the power can flow more easily into the device. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:38 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Thor20003 wrote:
Also, make sure the plug is facing down, so that the power can flow more easily into the device. :-)

Hmm, a statement that contributes ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to the knowledge of others and in no way is of any
benefit to the other forum readers here.

Besides proving to everyone else in the forum that you are someone to be totally ignored, the only real thing you
have proved is that parents really do need to use better birth control.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:04 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

mls wrote:
Thor20003 wrote:

Hmm, a statement that contributes ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to the knowledge of others and in no way is of any
benefit to the other forum readers here.

Besides proving to everyone else in the forum that you are someone to be totally ignored, the only real thing you
have proved is that parents really do need to use better birth control.

Wow, aren't you witty. I think you meant to type "proven", not "proved".

My comment was not intended to be insightful but was only an attempt at sarcasm related to the "water bottle and pillow" comments. I did not mean to "butt-hurt" you over your attempt to be the most knowledgeable person on the board regarding how to use a charger.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:30 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

mls:

The warm hot water bottle trick that I mentioned sometimes works not because of magic but because of chemistry. Batteries are chemical devices, not electronic devices and temperature does affect chemical reactions.

Don.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:36 am 
Archos User
Archos User

deet wrote:
mls:

The warm hot water bottle trick that I mentioned sometimes works not because of magic but because of chemistry. Batteries are chemical devices, not electronic devices and temperature does affect chemical reactions.

Don.

deet would be correct. try leaving your phone in your car overnight in the cold winter time, and see how much battery you have ;)

Anyways...good write up on this guide. however it could easier be summed up in the following statement:

If you are having problems with your device "not charging", try the following:

Plug in your tablet with the official USB cable and wall charger. Leave this charging for 5 or more hours. Then come back. If your tablet will turn on, then let it and keep it charging until battery is 100%. If your device will not turn on, leave it plugged in over night then try turning on in the morning.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:27 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have the feeling the usb port was only soldered on and not screwed into place. My archos will not charge with the charger that came with it but the connection wobbles a lot so my guess is the connection inside is broken.
No response from archos to my mails.
I will try calling them see if that works.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:23 am 
Archos User
Archos User

pucky wrote:
I have the feeling the usb port was only soldered on and not screwed into place. My archos will not charge with the charger that came with it but the connection wobbles a lot so my guess is the connection inside is broken.

hi. same problem here. the connection is so loose that a slight bump while the charger is in, could break it. you must fill an archos RMA

http://www.archos.com/support/support_t ... us&lang=en

I did so and once i shipped my tablet to them they returned it in just a few days

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi, last week I was using my Archos 101 G9 and before I went to sleep I noticed that the battery was down to 5% and then I connected my charger and turned the screen off and left it overnight. The next morning I went to turn it on and it was completely unresponsive not even the green LED was on so I googled my problem and found (as you all well know) the amount of Archos owners with a charging problem but couldn't find anyone with a similar problem. I contacted Archos and they gave me info on what to do (hold the on button for 10 sec etc), I found out that when I hold the on button in for 10 + seconds then connect the charger the LED stays solid for around 15 minutes then turns off, this is the only thing that happens. I then replied to Archos telling them that what they told me doesn't work but I'm still waiting for a reply. I've left the device charging over night and even for a couple of days but without result.

Has anyone came across this problem and if so has there been a way to solve it or do I need to send it back to Archos?

PS Ive tried the hold in power button and + volume button routine without result.
If it helps any, I bought my tablet from the Archos website.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:50 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

My Archos drained the battery while charging if switched on. I know of no other device where this is the case. Mine took about 12 hours to charge. Basically this product is defective in many ways and should not be on sale.

Do yourself a favour Tom. Get a refund and buy a different tablet.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:43 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

sper56 wrote:
pucky wrote:

hi. same problem here. the connection is so loose that a slight bump while the charger is in, could break it. you must fill an archos RMA

I did so and once i shipped my tablet to them they returned it in just a few days

I sent back 2 defective units and paid €45 then once they were replaced received a bill from the shipping company back to us for €60 and now one of the units they sent back has precisely the same fault and again they want me to pay for shipping?? We have not been able to use it for more than 3 weeks out of 4 months..I know they will replace it but I want them to replace it free of charge. It is a construction fault, it is too silly for words we should have to pay so much to get a defective product replaced. I could have bought a high end tablet for that kind of money, from a company that delivers actual customer service..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... st26162514 looking at this picture I see why the charge port comes undone with only a little use. No screws to hold it in place, just soldered on..

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:07 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

pucky wrote:
looking at this picture I see why the charge port comes undone with only a little use. No screws to hold it in place, just soldered on..

For such a small connector there really should be no reason to need screws. My cell phones sure as heck don't have any screws holding in the micro-USB connectors!

However, at least on my 101 G9, I have noticed that it does not actually have a single "standard" type of micro-USB connector. It has a rectangular opening (instead of the "D" shape) so that it can allow either/or a micro "A" or a micro "B" to be plugged into it (which works out nicely to allow some other OTG host type cables for USB usage to plug into it).

Unfortunately, that also means there is very little mechanical support for just the "standard D" charging cable connector. As such, if you're going to be pulling, jerking, yanking any cable plugged into that jack you ARE going to eventually break it.

As such, for some it may be considered a design flaw, while for others (like myself) the added capability of being able to plug in an "A" or "B" cable is a nice feature. As such, I'm not sure who is at fault about the USB charging jack problems people are having.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:30 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Hi, My 80 HDD has a depleted battery. On the charger it is now performing the following cycle:
1. It turns on with a quick 7 beeps, the HDD starts to run continuously
2. It stays on for a few minutes then reboots and back to 1.

It doesn't matter if I give the power button a quick tap or not. Wifi is OFF.

The accidental powering ON is very annoying...can't it be changed into e.g. a quick double click requirement to turn it ON? Or at least an AUTO shutdown before it is too late?

Maybe I should accidentally poor a bottle of hot water on it...

604 wifi is great, 70it is great, this is not so great...
:( Turbo disappointed
T.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:34 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Update:

I gave up after half an hour and left it unplugged for the night
Reconnected in the morning, came back after 6 hours to find the battery at 70%

Maybe the tablet had just become too hot last night. Nevertheless I am rather disappointed that it is misbehaving like this. Like somebody else stated; which other device won't allow you to use it with the proper charger (220V) plugged in? [-X

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:01 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

sper56 wrote:
pucky wrote:

I did this too :) , but unfortunately after just a few weeks, it happened again :roll: . I am sick of archos.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:50 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'll agree with those that the USB port does not seem very secure. As others, I looked at it and wondered why it did not have the "D" shape to keep the plug more secure. I've never seen the AB (more oval than D shaped) cord available in any stores in the US.

Here is something I tried the other day, and so far it has continued to work.

I was at the point where my tablet would no longer "blink" or "flash" when connecting the USB cord....even when jiggling while connected. I got the feeling that the plug wasn't making contact with the charging port.

I took a safety pin and very slightly moved each of the contact points towards the middle of the tablet. In my case the microSD slot was facing up and the screen facing down, so I moved the contacts towards the screen.

I plugged in my USB charging cord and to my surprise the Green charging light came on and the tablet booted up, indicating "5% Charging."

I checked on it 30 minutes later and it was off again. I turned it back on, readjusted the cord and it once again came back and reported "12% Charging."

I was more careful when placing the tablet back down and after about 5 hours it was still on and charging. Left it on overnight and it was fully charged.

Still not convinced it's going to be a permanent fix, but it is working for now.