Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:32 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:46 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Pure awesomeness! I've spent a while trying to figure out how to:

-- Turn my Archos 80 G9 into a full-featured phone

-- Having the ability to talk via A2DP Bluetooth headset instead of the built-in speaker

I accomplished both today... and the best part is... all calls and texts are FREE (considering you have a wifi or 3g/4g data connection available). It all involves Google Voice, Google Talk and Groove IP (or Groove IP Lite if you're only using it for wifi calls).

First, create a Google Voice account (if you haven't already). Make sure to download the Google Voice app on the Android Market as well, as this will be your SMS client (unless you prefer your SMS to be sent to you via email). There may be other SMS porting apps out there as well.

Go through the motions to get a Google Voice number. You will NOT need to keep the phone number associated with your Google Voice number, so as long as you have it initially activated, you'll never have to worry about forwarding calls to that number (I actually made the mistake of buying a Skype number for the forwarding feature).

On a PC browser, access your GMail account (or make one if you don't have one) and go down to chat and call a number with it. You're only required to do this once. After you hang up, disable chat on all computers that have your GMail account signed in except your G9.

Go back to your Google Voice settings and forward all calls to your Google Talk account.

On your G9 (or any other Android tablet you have), download Groove IP ($4.99) or Groove IP Lite (Free - you can read about the differences on the Market).

When Groove IP starts, provide your credentials for Google and you're free to start sending/receiving calls and texts!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Now for Bluetooth! I recently bought a GoGroove Airband wireless stereo headset (yes it's bulky, but I like listening to my music, too!) and it works fine with listening to music AND phone calls! Make sure your headset is A2DP compatible, or it won't work!!!

Once your BT headset is paired with your device, open Groove IP and go to Settings > Troubleshooting and select WiFi Tablet. You can now listen to your music AND phone calls with the headset instead of looking like a weirdo holding up an 8 inch tablet to talk on the phone! :)

OPTIONAL: While you're on troubleshooting, you may want to select the High Perf WiFi Lock option, as I'm not sure if the G9 goes into a power-saving mode when you turn the screen off. If your WiFi's off, you're not gonna get any calls! Hope this helps someone from a month's worth of research and about 100 bucks in wasted money on Skype and about a dozen Android dialers and clients!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:05 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Great post!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:58 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Hi

Great!

But (afaik ) Google numbers are still not available to UK punters.

cheers

P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:17 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Helpful post, thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:33 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Pretty much any VIOP service that has an android client will let you do this.

Skype for example has a little known set of paid services that gives you phone numbers in over 100 countries.

My US skype number costs me $50 a year and gives me a monthly allowance of 10,000 minutes of world-wide calling.

I could have opted for a number in any of the coutries Skype does business in.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:45 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

@megadp, for clarity, can you confirm that when you say BT headset you mean just something that supports A2DP - and that you still have to use the microphone built in to the tablet? As far as I can tell, the Archos G9 tablets doe not support the BT hands-free profile, even though Android ICS does have some support for that profile.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Groove IP has a troubleshooting menu that allows you to enable an option called "Wifi tablet"... when you check this box, it emulates a normal phone's audio codec. My Bluetooth headset works perfectly fine when talking AND listening to calls! Not sure about other headsets, but the GoGroove Airband that I own works like a charm! My only complaint is that when you get a call, the ringtone sounds through the Archos speaker, rather than the BT headset (same goes for incoming SMS notifications). Once I accept the call, the mic and speaker are routed to the BT headset, just like using it on a real phone!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:31 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

what are other best bluetooth headset for G9