Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:43 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:59 am 
Archos User
Archos User

ViktorN wrote:
The solution of those problems is only: system recovery and then return back to system version 3.2.8
And what a surprise after that!
WIFI — is absolutely perfect.
GPS — quick and stable.
And Archos device — stable, quick and without any problem!

I understand your frustration, but just for the record : I'm using 4.0.3 and don't have any problems with wi-fi and GPS ... was on holiday for some weeks and connected to every hotspot in sight and Sygic (GPS) navigated me all over the place.
No problems with any other features, apps etc. ...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:54 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

ViktorN wrote:
My patience is at the end.
After After several upgrades — finaly to version 4.0.7 — Archos has wifi connection problems still and same problems are in GPS.

The solution of those problems is only: system recovery and then return back to system version 3.2.8
And what a surprise after that!
WIFI — is absolutely perfect.
GPS — quick and stable.
And Archos device — stable, quick and without any problem!

Thanks a lot, Archos developers, for your playing. <The „irony“ isn't water for washing windows> :badgrin:

Does anyone know, how to disable the firmware upgrade notification after every start of Archos?

If you look through the many threads on various versions of ICS, you will find that several people who allegedly have the same hardware report different experiences on what purports to be the same software. I say "purports to be" because it has been proven that there were four versions of 4.0.6 - not simple changes like correcting spelling mistakes, as one member suggested, but such things as new code to ensure the two ARM cores were in sync! There are three possible inferences to draw from this:

1. that people are unwittingly using different software versions that Archos have not owned up to;
    2. that people are unwittingly using different hardware versions that Archos have not owned up to;
    3. a mixture of the above

I had a disastrous excursion into a version of 4.0.5 and immediately returned to 3.2.80. I have not tried any of the other versions of ICS - despite one of the mods here chastising me for dissing 4.0.7 - and will not until I see a thread here (or elsewhere) that says that the version works for everyone's G9.

As for disabling the firmware upgrade notification, afaik the only way is to root the device and remove the relevant software - I saw that on xda-developers somewhere, but I didn't make a note of it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I agree with you. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:34 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just bought the 10b g3 today, and am sad to see this has not been fixed in ICS, as this was the reason I upgraded from the 7cht. I guess I will bug support again on this one, but the mention of the Atheros chipset (which my router has) has had problems like this in Linux for a couple years, esp if they are using the old driver(s). Anyway, would someone point me to the V3 android to downgrade? I do no mind custom firmware(s) or rooting... Just would like to know a trusted one referred to from the forum. THANKS!
================
UPDATE
Per suggestion on another site, I looked at my MAC address filtering and indeed had mistyped one letter. This change allowed the connection to finalize, maybe there should be an error message in between the retries? After this, I had to change my router not to use the '300' speed and dropped it down to '150'. Everything seems fine now, with the exception of the battery life dropping from 14+ hours down to less than 1 hour, just by turning wifi on.

Last edited by jj3666 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:29 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

jj3666 wrote:
Anyway, would someone point me to the V3 android to downgrade? I do no mind custom firmware(s) or rooting... Just would like to know a trusted one referred to from the forum. THANKS!
See this post: http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=64185 (its a sticky post in the 'General G9 discussions' forum). No need to root your phone first. Last V3 image from Archos was 3.2.80: http://update.archos.com/9/gen9/gen9_3.2.80/firmware_archos_it4.aos

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:33 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The problem with my tablet is; when 3G is switched on then WiFi disappears.
WiFi tries to connect but faild.
Then I switch 3G of, than WiFi make a connection but it is than very slow, I have to reboot to let it work properly.

When I need 3G again, I must switch it on and have to reboot it to make it work.
When I am back home it is not switching automateccily to WiFi.
By every change I have to reboot.

Archos 80 G9 and Archos 3G stick.
Firmware 4.0.25 (Android 4.0.4)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I registered on this website to offer a suggested fix that appears to work for me. I am running Android 4.0.4, although not on an Archos device. After fiddling with tonnes of settings on my device and router, it seems if I switch off QoS (802.11e) on my wireless router, my device is able to connect, and retain the connection.

It's only been an hour since it started working, but keeping my fingers crossed ... . Would be great if some of you could verify.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hey guys. i would seriously try doing this as its worked for me so far...
On your router, change the encryption to WEP (open system) or (shared key) and your password to connect use 16bit strength and use passphrase 1 as **NUMBERS ONLY** (10 digits). on my android tablet running 4.0.4, i have had problems connecting for weeks until i tried everything on my router. Also, install a wifi booster on your device from google play called wifi signal booster. the application icon is a blue background with a green wifi signal. i ran this when it was trying to obtain ip address with a low signal and it connected. let me know if this works.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:03 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hm, this is not the problem, I have tried to try everything.
But there is no only WiFi problem. After v4 upgrade there was problem with GPS as well. That's why I returned to last stable version 3.2.8

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:39 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

:( Same thing here after upgrade to 4.0.26 worked on and off for afew days now it can even find my d-link router :( :( :(

Can any one tell me how to roll back my firmware archos 80 G9 4.0.26 :?: :?: :?:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:51 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

airmatt24ky wrote:
Same thing here after upgrade to 4.0.26 worked on and off for afew days now it can even find my d-link router

Please note that this is a very old message thread about the older Archos 4.0.4 firmware back at that time. So, it has absolutely nothing related to the (current) 4.0.26 firmware.

The wi-fi in 4.0.26 is actually better than it has ever been in any previous firmware. Unfortunately, that is about the ONLY thing that is any good with 4.0.26. There are so many other things crashing and going wrong in that firmware that there is no way to even make much of any use of the tablet. As such, I think your wi-fi problems are just a side effect of the other bugs in this firmware. Hopefully, Archos will release a new firmware soon.

Quote:
Can any one tell me how to roll back my firmware archos 80 G9 4.0.26

If you have already installed the official Archos 4.0.24, 4.0.25, or (current) 4.0.26 you can NOT install any earlier official Archos firmware. Also, you can NOT even install the official Archos SDE to then install any 'rooted' firmware either.

In other words, currently the ONLY WAY would require:

a) Installing an ADB USB Driver so that you can...
b) Install an UN-official SDE so that you can then...
c) Install a older 'rooted' firmware version (best one would be the 'rooted' stock Archos 4.0.7)

So, if you don't mind risking the possibility or turning your tablet into a brick... well, there is a way (in fact, I've put together a whole package with everything needed, but I'm not ready to release it to the public yet). I'd rather see Archos put out a newer firmware that works (instead of having a bunch of people having to wipe everything to start over after installing rooted firmware).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Dinosaur wrote:
ViktorN wrote:
I say "purports to be" because it has been proven that there were four versions of 4.0.6 - not simple changes like correcting spelling mistakes, as one member suggested, but such things as new code to ensure the two ARM cores were in sync!

Classic Archos. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:46 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

mls wrote:
Please note that this is a very old message thread about the older Archos 4.0.4 firmware back at that time. So, it has absolutely nothing related to the (current) 4.0.26 firmware.
… (Viktor: :badgrin: )
The wi-fi in 4.0.26 is actually better than it has ever been in any previous firmware. Unfortunately, that is about the ONLY thing that is any good with 4.0.26… …Hopefully, Archos will release a new firmware soon.
… (Viktor: :badgrin: )
If you have already installed the official Archos 4.0.24, 4.0.25, or (current) 4.0.26 you can NOT install any earlier official Archos firmware…
… (Viktor: :shock: :? )

Oh, thanks a lot, mr "mls", you are very funny!

As I can see, problems with WiFi still persist. My patience with archos firmware update ended in version 4.0.4. And now — I can see I saved my time and my nerves.

The last actual version is 4.0.28. And I can see — problem with WiFi, problem with Bluetooth, problem with GPS… LOL — still the same song :-)

I see the last stable and 100% functioning version with useable WiFi, GPS and BlueTooth is version 3.2.8. Sorry, but there is no other stable and reliable version of newer firmware.

And at last — "If you have already installed the official Archos 4.0.24, 4.0.25, or (current) 4.0.26 you can NOT install any earlier official Archos firmware" =D> thank you very much, dear Archos developers. I definitely stay at version 3.2.8 with fully functioning WiFi and GPS!
And desperate attempts with new installations of new "better" firmware versions? [-X Go to hell with new versions of firmware with same bugs!!! :evil: :badgrin: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:51 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

ViktorN wrote:
Oh, thanks a lot, mr "mls", you are very funny!

Not sure what you find "funny" about statements of well known facts? What really bothers me though is that I have no idea how, why, who, or what MOD changed the the original title/subject of this thread to read "after firmware upgrade to 4.0.4-28..."?

To avoid confusing people it should have stayed as the original subject "after firmware upgrade to 4.0.4" because now people are posting comments/questions about all of the newer firmware in this thread... which clearly do not apply. You can see that for yourself by looking at the earlier posts and the dates they were posted.

It starts with posts from back in March of 2012, which is when Archos released their first firmware upgrade from Honeycomb to ICS. And, the Archos firmware numbering is very misleading because the Archos firmware versions 4.0.4, 4.0.5, 4.0.6, and 4.0.7 (and half a dozen "test" versions in-between them) were all based on Google's Android 4.0.3.

Too many newer people are confusing the Archos 4.0.4 firmware number with the newer Google Android 4.0.4... which is what Archos used in their later 4.0.24, 4.0.25, 4.0.26, and their last firmware (for the G9 models) 4.0.28.

Compare the dates of most of the previous posts in this thread to the dates listed in the Archos Firmware Changelog and it's pretty easy to see just where this thread went totally off track from what it originally was about.

ViktorN wrote:
As I can see, problems with WiFi still persist. My patience with archos firmware update ended in version 4.0.4. And now — I can see I saved my time and my nerves.

The last actual version is 4.0.28. And I can see — problem with WiFi, problem with Bluetooth, problem with GPS… LOL — still the same song :-)

I see the last stable and 100% functioning version with useable WiFi, GPS and BlueTooth is version 3.2.8. Sorry, but there is no other stable and reliable version of newer firmware.

That actually seems to depend on multiple things... individual usage/needs, the various hardware changes Archos made between production runs, and how poorly Archos assembled some devices (not to mention how horribly bad some of their solder joints look in some of the pictures I've seen).

I've got several Archos G9 tablets, and on my end all I can say is that the GPS depended more on the weather conditions (meaning how well a signal can get down through heavy humidity, clouds, etc.) more than which firmware I had installed.

As for the WiFi, after changing to a better WiFi Router... well, there also I have not found all that much difference between firmware.

Of course, I will say that it does seem like the Archos 3.2.80 firmware did seem to be a bit better for both WiFi and GPS than with 4.0.7. And, for most people those 2 things improved back up in 4.0.28. If it was not for that stupid 'file indexing' constantly kicking in causing severe slow downs or crashing... I might actually have liked 4.0.28.

For more average general usage I would agree that 3.2.80 is probably the best, but it has glitches in the Archos Video Player when playing certain files, and it does not have support for an Xbox 360 USB controller. So, I prefer to stay with the Archos 4.0.7 firmware on my end. Not saying it is the best, but averages out to being the better choice of what Archos has put out for my usage.

ViktorN wrote:
And at last — "If you have already installed the official Archos 4.0.24, 4.0.25, or (current) 4.0.26 you can NOT install any earlier official Archos firmware" =D> thank you very much, dear Archos developers. I definitely stay at version 3.2.8 with fully functioning WiFi and GPS!
And desperate attempts with new installations of new "better" firmware versions? [-X Go to hell with new versions of firmware with same bugs!!! :evil: :badgrin: :lol:

I will totally agree with you and also warn people that if they are happy with their Archos G9 that is currently running 3.2.80 then do NOT upgrade. For others, if they have the 4.0.7 firmware and are happy with how their device works then do NOT upgrade the firmware.

It took a lot of users complaining before Archos ever decided to provide a way for users to downgrade from the 4.0.x firmware back 3.2.xx firmware. Now, even though there are a large number that want it, Archos has simply REFUSED to provide any way to downgrade from their 4.0.2x firmware back to any older firmware versions. The only way back is with 'rooted' firmware... and to do that require installing SDE... which Archos took many months to ever even provide a version of SDE that could be installed on a G9 that had their 4.0.2x firmware on it (fortunately, there was an older hack that still worked posted over on the xda-developers.com forum so we all did not have to wait for Archos to post their own official version).

Archos is pretty much a brand name that NOBODY wants anymore now. From what I've seen, none of their newer products work right either. Archos COULD have done a lot better, but their reputation has gone too far down the drain. After their 4.0.24 firmware release trashed thousand of Archos 101 G9 tablets (and may some of the 80 G9 tablets also)... well, I really don't know how they ever managed to stay in business at all.

And, I do not see anything "funny" about any of that!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:33 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I am really grateful for your guidence,,,

i liked it and thanks for this advice.i will help me to work well for everyone i will we thankful to you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:19 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Interesting solution.
Glad to see your responds.