Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:40 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:27 am 

I may have to bump one of my five in favor of google drive, which seems to give you 5gb of shareable cloudspace for free.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:33 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Facebook
Moon+ reader
APW Widgets (facebook, twitter, people etc)
News Republic
TuneIn internet radio

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:49 pm 

Ive got to temporarily withdraw my fav app choices of dolphin hd and space angry birds.

I had so much trouble with dolphin hd freezing up and the default browser only partly better, so i switched to boat browser in fullscreen, large text, and desktop agent mode. Really seems to tolerate my current wifi or whatever glitches nicely and makes using my g9 a pleasure again. Will try dolphin hd again with next firmware... dont have to uninstall with all the appspace g9 has.

And i loved angry birds space... far better than other angry birds, but they are so slow to add levels. Instead the retro dark humour game stupid zombies keeps adding levels by the hundreds and is fun enough that it doesnt have to be hard to keep your interest. If you do get stuck, use the stars to align your shots.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:12 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Honorable Mentions:

GrooveIP (Still some bugs to work out)
WiFi Manager
Mint.com Personal Finance
Kindle
Tapatalk
Facebook Messenger
Last.FM Official App
Simple Last.FM App

5. M:tG Tracker
4. AppyGeek
3. Email (Pre-loaded app)
2. Google Voice
1. GoneMad Music Player -- Absolutely NO skips when I play my music; also allows mass ID3 tag editing!

I have the 1.5 gHz 512MB RAM 250GB model

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:50 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I will try to eventually post 5 best apps, but for now, I will discuss apps in categories, in a series of posts (when I have time):

Regarding Pulse, Mobo RSS Reader and Flipboard (and other RSS Apps).

"Pulse" and "Mobo RSS Reader" are similar programs. Pulse seems to update faster than Mobo, but that might be because Mobo has some special functions that are being supported by their own server, and their own server might be slow. Mobo supports "Follow" where they are searching some news sources for specific character patterns like "Beyonce" and then send them to you in a special topic. If you have a lot of these, they can take time. If you just use the RSS topics, the two programs might be about the same.

"Mobo" seems to have some special "In house" topics that consolidate a few sources, to cover things like "Android Apps". This can be helpful.

Also, "Mobo" seems to have done more contracting for specialized content. For example, if you want to read articles from "Variety" magazine (the big trade paper for the entertainment industry), normally "Variety" will limit you to reading 3 articles per month for free -- which is not even worth following. To get more than that, you have to pay for a subscription. "Mobo" seems to send a lot of articles from Variety. That would seem to mean that they have contracted for a large amount of articles. There are probably other "semi-exclusive" sources like this.

Also, "Mobo" puts the "age" on each article's icon picture so you know, for example, if it arrived 10 min. ago, or 10 hours ago, or 2 days ago.

"Flipboard" is a different interface, more like Palm's "WebOS". I do not like it because it generally does not show more than 1 source at a time, and even then, it wastes screens with single images.

"Mobo" is much more configurable with user settable parameters.

Any conclusion? Not really. I am still testing "Flipboard", but so far I find it too wasteful. I use both Pulse and "Mobo", but only one of each on each of my devices. I think I am leaning towards "Mobo". It is the program that I run on the Archos A80 right now. But I after another couple of weeks, I might change my mind.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:17 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

1. Angry birds (all versions) :lol:
2. SPON-App (German Spiegel magazine online)
3. Gulli:news-app (underground / scene news / information / discussion about laws in Germany)
4. tapatalk app
5. Audio / videoplayer app from Archos / gonemad audio player on 5IT and on tablet.

6. -> xxx apps for battery / hw information

Mostly I use my tablet mobile with video and news content. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

1. Pandora
2. Foxfi (the new hotspot tether app)
3. My-cast classic (Best radar ever)
4. Slingplayer (TV anywhere. All networks, etc.)
5. Fring (Video conf. - WAY better than Skype ... at least on Android.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:01 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Web Browsers:

It has been a long time since I looked at a range of Web Browsers. Over a year ago I looked at the Firefox Beta, Opera Mobile, Dolphin, Dolphin HD and regular Maxthon. Maxthon was the only browser back then that could save the HTML page and picture files. Over the last year it has evolved constantly and has a wide variety of add-ons.

When I got my Archos A80, I decided to try the Maxthon HD browser on it. Back with Archos firmware 4.0.6, the Dolphin browsers were having some problems. The Maxthon HD (version 1.5) browser was not having any such new problems. I mentioned before that the 1.5 had a small design problem that would not allow editing of the file names of pictures when they were being saved. Sometimes it was hard to remember what a picture was about. This was corrected recently in version 1.6. The 1.6 version had a bug that I did not run across, but it was soon replaced with 1.6.1, which is the current version. Saving pictures can sometimes still be a problem in complex pages. Sometimes one cannot save a picture. I think this is a result of either Java or Javascript. But the Maxthon browsers are probably still the best browsers for their support of HTML file and picture saving generally. I am currently using the Maxthon HD version 1.6.1 on the Archos A80, and I do not expect to change from the Maxthon HD stream in the future.

Depending on your cell phone account, the Opera Mobile browser can actually save you money. That is really the only other browser I might use on an Android device, but I do not currently take the Archos A80 outside of home, so I have no reason to bother with it right now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:39 am 

Xiialive beta must be the very best net radio. The beta version is offered for free. Try genre = talk, then comedy. A zillion choices, such as classic bbc tv series. Click fav ones so they dont get lost.

P.s... should we be making apk copies of flash player, since adobe yanked it from google market? You can do it with es file explorer. Might get it to migrate into jellybean, which will lack flash player.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:36 am 
Archos User
Archos User

viking wrote:
P.s... should we be making apk copies of flash player, since adobe yanked it from google market?.

That's an excellent idea. I've just realised that the only one I have is Adobe Flash Player 11.1-111111008.apk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:07 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm new to this whole Android thing and just got my G9 80 a few weeks ago.
The only GPS apps I could figure out (get going) so far are GPS test and Waze.
So far, I'm good with Waze and may not need anymore GPS apps.
Google mail takes care of my e-mail, and Firefox Beta is my favorite browser.
Stumbleupon is on all my computers, so it is on my Archos too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:59 am 
Archos User
Archos User

There are too many. I tried about a half dozen over the years, and so far I have settled on the following three. Hopefully someone else will say a bit about some others.

Blackmoon File Browser, version 7.8c, by Blackmoon Info Tech Svcs.

I found this back during Android 1.6 days from Archos' "AppLib". This is the only program I found that integrates a file into the desktop as a Widget. I can link a text file this way and use it as a Memo without a special Memo program -- just the Jota text editor (or any other text editor). The operation is a bit unusual. To duplicate a file, Mark, copy to another directory, rename and then move it back. There may be an easier way, but this has worked.

Unfortunately, it has a problem on the Samsung Galaxy S 4G SGH-T959W (Build "GINGERBREAD.WUQLB6"). File access permissions will not allow files to be written using this program, so using it to "move" a file is not possible. Apparently this is Samsung's fault, so on the "Galaxy S 4G" I use Rhythm Software's "File Manager, 1.13.3". This becomes irritating, not because either program is particularly bad, but because they are different, so I have to think about how to do something instead of just getting it done.

"File Manager" version 1.13.3, by Rhythm Software

It works more like Windows. It has a number of icons along the top that speed up some functions. It also shows some "attributes" in a text list mode. Unfortunately, it does not give me a Widget to link a file to the desktop.

"X-plore File Manager" version 3.05 by Lonely Cat Games

This is the only program I found that allows viewing a "Hex dump" of a file. This is the only reason I use it. Otherwise it is ok. It has some built-in viewers, which in my opinion is a waste of resources, and because it shows 2 side-by-side views, and some special icons, the view is crowded -- even on my Archos A80. If you have good eyes, I suppose this might be a nice file manager.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Perfect keyboard Pro
File explorer with plus add-on NEXTAPP, INC.
Scrollable news widget
Boat Browser or Dolphin Browser Beta
HD Widgets

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:23 am 

1 plex (not free). One of the best streamers from my nas drive ever. Works flawlessly even when im tethering.

2 footmob. Got to keep up with the hammers

3 netflix

4 built in video player. No other android video player is as refined and the extra video tagging is excellent.

5 audible app. I never go a day without starting this app up for my ever increasing audibook collection

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Nook
Picsay Pro
Overdrive (library book checkout and reader)
Opera Mobile browser
TuneIn Radio Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'll have to try Dolphin and Maxthon as alternative browsers. I'm not too enamoured with the built in browser or Chrome.

My top 5...

1. The video player that comes built in. With HDMI-out it's so handy to start watching something on the big TV then walk off somewhere to watch the rest if I feel like it.

2. [WordHero] - it's like Boggle with a never-ending global leaderboard.

3. The Guardian - I didn't really read this newspaper until I got the app. In fact, I have still never read the paper version. I think I just like the app and their tech news is unusually savvy for a national newspaper.

4. Whatever the newest game by Kairosoft is. At the moment it's "Beastie Bay", all their games are really great little sims with a lot of personality.

5. Either : Splashtop Remote (for remote desktop PC use), or VNDS (for reading visual novels). Because I use both for the same thing. I get a lot of lag from Splashtop - I guess it's the way my network's set up - so I tend to just use it to read visual novels, as they're not particularly susceptable to problems coming from lag, and it's generally more comfortable to read on a tablet and progress the dialogue by touchscreen than with mouse / keyboard in front of a PC.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Of course I can also easily think of more than five apps I like and use regularly, so I'm going to cheat a little and not consider the Google apps suite (Gmail/Drive/Maps/Calendar/Store etc.) part of my five, although I do use and like them a lot. Let's see what else I use:

- Opera Mobile (My favourite mobile browser, though the built-in one isn't bad)
- ColorNote (check lists just the way I like them)
- RssDemon (RSS feed reader, put your news in one place)
- AndSMB (SMB/Windows shared folders client, to wirelessly fetch files off my laptop)
- Aldiko (E-book reader)

For those into geocaching, I recommend Columbus and GPS Status. And I also like the metadata/episode synopsis retrieval feature of the Archos video player app.

As for a photo gallery app, I'm not sure which I like best. I use both Android's own Gallery and QuickPic.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:59 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm not sure what just happened to the Geocaching link there. It looks like some new addition to the forum code automatically includes a site snippet for external links.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:50 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

After getting to know the capabilities of ICS and JB, as well as DLNA and networking over the past year, my new favorite apps have to be the following (no particular order, since I use them all equally):

Bubble uPnP (streaming movies I have on my desktop wherever I go) with MX Player for video decoding

Splashtop 2 or Splashtop Gamepad (the latter only works on JB devices) to stream my desktop to play games like Diablo 3

Unified Remote

Tapatalk HD

Gonemad Music Player (Still the best music player with scrobbling support and mass tag editing!)

Honorable mentions:

Appy Geek
Google Voice
GrooveIP
TuneIn Pro
HaxSync (Integrates Google's calendar with your Facebook calendar)
Mint.com
Xfinity Player

Plus all of Google's awesome stock apps! (Browser, email, maps, calendar)

There are also some great launchers and themes you can find out there. I've attached a screenshot of my home screen for your viewing pleasure (I'm using Apex launcher with Sphere Theme)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:10 am 

maxhow wrote:
I've been using LibriVox. You can listen to free audiobooks on it

Wow, thanks... I didn't know there was an app for librivox. I always had been downloading the files, then playing with mortplayer audio app.