Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:11 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:15 am 
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

gonemad wrote:
the 20s "buffering" is only for preloading the next track for gapless playback. The device wont go to sleep if you are playing music back

the device won't but the hard drive might.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:41 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

if eq, crossfade, and gapless is off.. the next track preloads immediately... same with if crossfade is enabled (since it needs to be able to fade into the next track on track change)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:21 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hmm, not liking what I'm reading. I was about to buy the 250GB and mount in my car and use poweramp too. Any idea if this skipping/hd sleep issue is on the latest 1GB ram model? Is it both on honeycomb and ICS? Any idea if it's something archos is working on fixing or not?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:38 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It is still a problem I am afraid... No Idea what Archos are doing about it.... Gonemad Player handles music perfectly.....just needs the Lyric function & some nice art transitions... :D Hint Hint Gonemad lol

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:56 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

mbc0 wrote:
It is still a problem I am afraid... No Idea what Archos are doing about it.... Gonemad Player handles music perfectly.....just needs the Lyric function & some nice art transitions... :D Hint Hint Gonemad lol

Hmm, I'll check out gonemad - I really like poweramp but I can't have skipping. Have you tried changing the governor to see if that makes a difference (has to be rooted)? I've read that can help with some of the issues.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:15 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

miketunes wrote:
mbc0 wrote:

Hmm, I'll check out gonemad - I really like poweramp but I can't have skipping. Have you tried changing the governor to see if that makes a difference (has to be rooted)? I've read that can help with some of the issues.

Hi,

It is nothing to do with the CPU it is purely hard disk. I have done extensive tests with this using PowerAmp as the test player. Poweramp will play flac files perfectly (did this for days!!) as the hard disk is constantly on due to the size of the files. I even re-encoded about 2000 mp3's to M4A's of a much higher bitrate which almost doubled the file sizes and reduced the skipping overall by about 70%. If you put the Archos to your head when playing Mp3's through Poweramp you can hear the hard disk spin up & down constantly, literally as soon as the disk has spun up the disk is spinning back down again and so on...... Poweramp as far as they are concerned say this is purely an Archos issue and cannot be fixed (Even more props to Gonemad as he certainly got around the issue) I too like Poweramp for the slick art transitions & the lyric functions etc but at the end of the day it comes down to functionality. Gonemad works...the others don't....

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:03 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

mbc0 wrote:
Hi,

I use my G9 250GB Turbo mounted in my car as my main music player. I have been having difficulties getting a good mp3 player to work on this device due to skipping, pausing & stuttering caused by the hard disk. Below are my finds & if anyone can add their experiences to it I would be very interested to read, if not then I hope it helps someone else out as this is quite a minefield!

Gonemad may be my answer, not as polished as poweramp, but seems to work fairly well. Can I ask what car charger you are using (min amps required?) and how you mounted it? For audio quality, I'm guessing the 3.5mm jack is the best - I know there are a bluetooth pass-through's which don't require re-encoding, but I don't know if archos supports them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ugh, so I went ahead and purchased the archos turbo 250gb and loaded gonemad. I'm getting stips about every 5-10 minutes or so. I increased the priority and buffer to the max, how'd you get gonemad not to skip? Running ICS.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Do you guys think changing the HDD to SSD would eliminate this specific problem with poweramp?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:20 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

FOXTEiN wrote:
Do you guys think changing the HDD to SSD would eliminate this specific problem with poweramp?

Hi, yes it does, I changed to a Samsung 7mm 256GB SSD & all my problems have disappeared! with an added bonus of weight loss, no waiting for video's/track's to load, improved battery life, never seeing the hard disk icon appear at the bottom of the screen & NO MORE SKIPPING OR STUTTERING!!! Woo Hoo!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:31 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Great mbc0... thats quite promising.
can i get more info on ur drive... i.e. model number, form factor (2.5/1.8)?
Thanks a lot :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:12 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

FOXTEiN wrote:

I would always recommend replacing an HDD with an SSD. It is basically the same situation I had years ago with a Palm LifeDrive: this had a massive (for the time!) 4 Gb HDD which caused delays while it spun up, stuttered while playing music or video, and chewed the battery in no time flat. The solution was to replace it with a Compact Flash Card.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello,

I already started to become frustrated with my new ARCHOS101, as my prime intention was to use is as home media (music) player but the the scatters during HDD access made it almost impossible to enjoy it.

I also tried the poweramp but with the same bad result, stange!

Finally the GoneMad player is doing the job very well, that I directly bought the main version, GOOD JOB!!

just my music list is a bit chaotic as there seems to be no folder structure, which makes it not easy if you have several files in organized folders, but with track01, 02...

Thiy may come from Windows thinking :)

Bye, bear

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi bear,
I have tried Gonemad's which is still stuttering and skipping every now and then.
I am sure it has folder structure based browsing though if that's what u r after :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

FOXTEiN wrote:

Hi Mate,

Here is a link to the drive, it fits like a glove! & havent had to charge for two days!

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/256gb-sa ... e-400mb-s-

Samsung 830 SERIES SSD 256GB Notebook Kit Inc Norton Chost Slim 7.5mm
MZ-7PC256N - 256GB Samsung 830 Series, SSD Notebook Kit, SATA III, 3-core MCX, NAND-Flash, Read 520Mb/s, Write 400Mb/s, 256MB Cache

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:56 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

mbc0 wrote:
FOXTEiN wrote:

Hi Mate,

Here is a link to the drive, it fits like a glove! & havent had to charge for two days!

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/256gb-sa ... e-400mb-s-

Samsung 830 SERIES SSD 256GB Notebook Kit Inc Norton Chost Slim 7.5mm
MZ-7PC256N - 256GB Samsung 830 Series, SSD Notebook Kit, SATA III, 3-core MCX, NAND-Flash, Read 520Mb/s, Write 400Mb/s, 256MB Cache

How did u replace the orignal HDD by SSD? Will be great if you can post a video of how the 80G9 was opened & SSD installed? Also how does the OS read the SSD? Details pleaseeee.

Also is Gonemad working fine? When i used it, the stuttering/skipping mp3 issue was not resolved. Strangely the stock music player has no issues except media center keeps crashing now & then but no features & bad UI.

Thanx, R.