Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:32 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:46 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,

I use my G9 250GB Turbo mounted in my car as my main music player. I have been having difficulties getting a good mp3 player to work on this device due to skipping, pausing & stuttering caused by the hard disk. Below are my finds & if anyone can add their experiences to it I would be very interested to read, if not then I hope it helps someone else out as this is quite a minefield!

1, Stock Player = Locks up occasionally & very dull/featureless

2, Jukefox = Great potential but cannot cope with the 40,000 MP3's that I have on my device & constant "program has stopped responding" errors

3, Player Pro = I actually bought the full of this as it was looking good & could handle my mp3 collection with ease & loads of features! however constant pausing/skipping (sometimes 6 times in one song) made this unuseable.

4, MixZing = Could not cope with the quantity of mp3's

5, WinAmp = Could not cope with the quantity of mp3's

6, Double Twist = Could not cope with the quantity of mp3's

7, Cubed (3) = Could not cope with the quantity of mp3's

8, Mort = Seemed ok, not as many features & handled all MP3's just became VERY unresponsive most of the time

9, Songbird = Could not cope with the quantity of mp3's

10, PowerAmp = This is the one I have settled with... It basically does everything, Album Art Downloading, Lyric Display/downloading, Very Fast & Obviously handles all MP3's with ease! Also to add it has by far the best sound quality out of all I have tried. It did skip, stutter & pause, but only on tracks with a bitrate higher than 200kbps when played from the hard disk. As I have been unable to find anything else that can play my collection I decided to re-encode all my MP3's to 192 VBR & go with it.

Would love to know if there is another alternative that people use that I haven't mentioned!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:57 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Did you try Gomadic. It was written by a member of this forum with Archos large hdd in mind.

Also try Rockbox: even though it's just beta version this is a powerfull player with a lot of features and options:

http://rasher.dk/rockbox/android/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:19 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Look at gonemads player. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:08 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,

Just trying out Rockbox, looking Good!

Tried gonemads player & selected a song to delete that it started playing & it asked to confirm...took a long long time as seemed to lock up, but no....the reason it took a long time was because it was busy deleting my 40,000 mp3's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: = Uninstalled!

Cannot find any trace of Gomadic player?? Market or Google!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:30 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Sorry I meant to say gonemads....but you already tried that...!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:59 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Sorry I cannot help your quest but I have a question for you. Is this skipping caused by the vibration of the car on the HDD or is it inherent to the device and it skips outside of the car also?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:27 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

You can find the gonemad player on android market (14 days for free).

Here is the link for discussion and wishes. :)

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=52515

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:25 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

mbc0 wrote:
Hi,

Just trying out Rockbox, looking Good!

Tried gonemads player & selected a song to delete that it started playing & it asked to confirm...took a long long time as seemed to lock up, but no....the reason it took a long time was because it was busy deleting my 40,000 mp3's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: = Uninstalled!

Cannot find any trace of Gomadic player?? Market or Google!

what way did you delete it? Using the gesture, or selecting a file in the browser and deleting it?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi Gonemad,

Been away for a while, now I am back I am desperate to sort a permanent solution to my mp3 playing problems!

After re-encoding all my mp3's (no biggie just an overnight job) it seemed to cure my problems in PowerAmp but they seem to have crept back in somehow! with the stuttering returning whilst the disk is spinning up (not all the time, probably 30-40% of the time)

Your player I have to admit has the functionality of the 20 second buffer that gives me completely flawless playback which is what I want, but after I deleted purely the song I was playing it decided to delete ALL! (I noticed that someone called William also reported this on your feedback for the app on the market) I really would like to try your app again & would be happy to purchase it if you have resolved this problem, can you please let me know where you are with this?

Many Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:01 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

well could you answer my last question on how you deleted it? Long pressing the file in the browser and selecting delete or using the gestures.. depending on which you selected there is different code that runs

I could copy paste the code that does the delete in here and show you the only possible way for it to delete everything would be that the operating system is giving my app the wrong information.. and there is nothing I can do about that. Assuming you used the browser to delete.. do you recall what the prompt said? It is supposed to print out the name of the exact file or folder it is trying to delete

I have 4 test devices and ran the code through emulators of all the versions of android and cannot reproduce it.. nor can i see any fault while analyzing the code (its a very small chunk so its not hard to look through)

You have to take the reviews on the market with a grain of salt, one person gave a bad rating saying the unlocker caused his phone to reboot multiple times and crashed stuff... the unlocker is essentially a license key that doesn't even run! There is no possible way it was the cause of his issues.

Now don't take this as me not believing my app was trying to delete all your music.. i do believe it.. i just dont know what more to fix when the code is solid and i cannot reproduce it anywhere

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:44 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi Gonemad,

Thanks for the quick reply...

I REALLY wish I could remember what I did to delete the song....I remember the prompt coming up but I really cannot even remember what that said now... all I remember is that it deleted all my songs & I uninstalled the player straight away! I have this-afternoon installed the trial again & have been playing with it for a couple of hours... I have to be honest the fact that it plays flawlessly is a great bonus! I am just finding my way around the player & cannot even find how to delete a song this time!!! lol (is there a manual??) Can I also ask please is there going to be Lyrics added to the player as that is kind of a deal-breaker as my Wife is French & loves to read all the lyrics to songs as she has difficulty understanding some of the words in songs... & Lastly is it best to communicate with you on here or your blog?

Cheers Mate,,

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:46 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

PS.

Are you aware that the Icon your player creates is called "GoneMAD Musi" not a deal-breaker but......kinda annoying (Self Confessed OCD With My Gizmo's! lol)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:20 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Basic user guide:
http://gonemadmusicplayer.blogspot.com/ ... asics.html

Explanation of the preferences:
http://gonemadmusicplayer.blogspot.com/ ... ained.html

Other:
http://gonemadmusicplayer.blogspot.com/p/help.html

Depending on the launcher it will show different things.. on my phone with go launcher ex it shows GoneMAD Music Play before its cut off.. i'll look into shortening it tho

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:21 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

im' also wondering... did you possibly delete the file using an external file manager? or are you sure you did it in the app

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:28 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Cheers for the guides mate, I have some reading to do!!

I am wondering if I may have selected folder instead of file (Is there a confirmation as I REALLY don't want to have to reload again!) but I DEFINATELY deleted from the app.

Any response on the lyrics? ;-)

Really not fussed about the shortened name on the icon, just wondered if you knew...

appreciate your time....thank you :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:51 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

i responded to the lyric post in my forums.. but yea its on my list of things to do (its quite a large list haha)

There is a confirmation if you use the file browser to delete.. the gesture will pop up saying "File" or "Folder" dialog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:20 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

i mentioned this on my forums.. but the delete bug was fixed in 1.1.17. Thanks for the info

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:08 am 
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

mbc0 wrote:
Hi Gonemad,

Been away for a while, now I am back I am desperate to sort a permanent solution to my mp3 playing problems!

After re-encoding all my mp3's (no biggie just an overnight job) it seemed to cure my problems in PowerAmp but they seem to have crept back in somehow! with the stuttering returning whilst the disk is spinning up (not all the time, probably 30-40% of the time)

Your player I have to admit has the functionality of the 20 second buffer that gives me completely flawless playback which is what I want, but after I deleted purely the song I was playing it decided to delete ALL! (I noticed that someone called William also reported this on your feedback for the app on the market) I really would like to try your app again & would be happy to purchase it if you have resolved this problem, can you please let me know where you are with this?

Many Thanks

20s is way to small for a buffer when you have a hard drive that wants to go to sleep. Make it 2 minutes... And you have to start to rebuffer some time (5-7s) before you need the data because the drive might have to spin up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:10 am 
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

gonemad wrote:
i responded to the lyric post in my forums.. but yea its on my list of things to do (its quite a large list haha)

There is a confirmation if you use the file browser to delete.. the gesture will pop up saying "File" or "Folder" dialog

see above reply to mbc0, it was actually for you :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:35 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

the 20s "buffering" is only for preloading the next track for gapless playback. The device wont go to sleep if you are playing music back