Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:19 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I recently bought a killer device that works with all of my devices and makes me wonder if i want the 250GB G9 after all.
Its a portable 500GB HDD with a WIFI and a battery for $199 called the Seagate Satellite.
It works with my Android phone and tablet as well as the iphone/ipads too.
You connect your device to it as if it were a WIFI hotspot and it's web page(s) are the only pages you connect to (while you are connected to it).
There are also apps that are easier to use then the browser method.

It works ok for music (no playlist etc) but perfect for pdfs (i have 40GB worth of comics on it) and for videos (mp4 and hidef work great).
It is read-only though (for the moment, it is DLNA complient).

I like the idea of sitting the vunerable HDD down and carrying the tablet around. Plus it can work with 3 connections at a time.

Has anyone else tried this as an alternative to the HDD models? (which i despair of ever seeing in a B&M store here in the US)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I think that Satellite drive is a pretty cool idea, however you can't use it on an airplane, so for frequent fliers this might not be a good option.
Otherwise I like the idea of not having any spinning disks in my player/tablet.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:28 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

harddrive technology has moved on - I never had any problems with any of the 5 previous Archos devices that were hdd based, and the latest hdd's should be even better than previous models. I would not be too concerned about having the hdd version, the benefits far outway the risk. I have also used a wfi harddrive, theoretically they are great - in practice it was a pain and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:06 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i've got this drive also and it works great.

i've used it on a flight recently to Barcelona with my 8Gb A80 G9 watching a lot of animes, and no problems whatever. best thing is that my wife was able to connect to it and watch another movie on her galaxy s2 at the same time. ;)
the battery only lasted 3hrs, but more that enough for that flight.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:30 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I have one of these as well. Seagate's app needs some work, but it does what it claims to and works with all my tablets.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:38 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

For those unfamiliar with this device, it basically sets up it's own little network (hands out ip address to device connecting) and then has the ability to stream/share the data in its folders. It also creates folders on a connecting device. When you you put info in a folder on your device, you can see it on the satellite. However you cannot upload wirelessly to the satellite. I haven't played with it to see if you can access the folders on one device from another debice that is connected.

You cannot connect to internet through this while connected. There may be a way, but I haven't explored that possibility.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:04 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

What i find compelling about this device (other than the massive storage jump) is the ability to take the moving HDD off the android device and access it remotely and safely but without incurring 3G usage.
I like the ability to store a ton of comics and movies and tv shows in one place (and not have to swap sd cards to do so) and access them from multiple devices (not just my one but others such as passengers in a vehicle on a trip).
Plus i can set the device down on a stable surface (like a desk or car dash) and move around the room etc without wires or cables or worrying about moving too fast and doing damage or making the media stutter while playing.
And it means i don't have to buy a particular tablet (like the archos hdd model) just because it has more storage. I can choose to go with whatever device i want (such as the quad core tablets or ipad etc) or even upgrade as new devices come out. I can even buy two (or more) of the satelitte if i want to devote one to movies/hidef, and another to tv shows etc.

My point was, how many people might give up on the hdd model of the G9, because of this device? I have been waiting for the hdd full android device from Archos, and now find i don't really need it because i can just connect via wifi on a flash android device.

I just wish someone would write some software sepecifically for this device to address the shortcomings (ie ftp client built into a file manager to allow copying to the device from the tablet, a music client that can handle play lists and folders off the device etc).

Some of these features might work there way into seagate's own app but i'd like support added into existing apps too. I wish there app was open source so we could tweak it too (the above features plus an autoconnect feature, launch the app and it autoconnects you to your last connected satellite wifi spot).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:08 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I looked at them when they first came out as an alternative to the hd versions of the gen 9. There are compelling features such as the ones you've mentioned. I am currently using a 500 gb wired hard drive for external storage. I decided against the wi-fi hd because of its lousy battery life, less-than-seamless file management, and monopolization of my wi-fi connection, which I use a lot. I can't remember the cost right off the top of my head, but I think that was a factor too. It may be great for other folks, but it ain't for me.