Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:30 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:21 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm assuming all these are happening on the G9 80 tablet? Has anyone used the G9 101 and suffered from all these as well? Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:56 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

It's good to see the same developers that programmed the G8 firmware are still employed by Archos. If any of you new Archos owners want to know what's in store for you for the upcoming 6+ months have a look at the G8 section, read and weep the "updates" Archos deployed there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:19 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Servaas wrote:
It's good to see the same developers that programmed the G8 firmware are still employed by Archos. If any of you new Archos owners want to know what's in store for you for the upcoming 6+ months have a look at the G8 section, read and weep the "updates" Archos deployed there.

hopefully they will always allow downgrades with G9...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:26 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Servaas wrote:

Please, don't just gloss over it... Look at the ratio of upgrades to fixes..!
Most of the updates in Gen8's were to fix original bugs or breakages...

Updates never mean the same as UPGRADES. ;)

Semantics, the Archos salesmans' mantra... =P~

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Do the Archos developers actually look at this site? Have we any evidence that they do. If not then there seems little point in reporting bugs?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:50 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Bazabaza wrote:
Do the Archos developers actually look at this site? Have we any evidence that they do. If not then there seems little point in reporting bugs?

there are some archos employees on this forum
and information about bugs is useful for users even if no developers see this

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Good point

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:42 pm 
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

Bazabaza wrote:

Yes they do. Personally, I can confirm that a senior level R&D engineer visits this site and actually posts as well.

I will not tell you who it is.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:51 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Bazabaza wrote:

Yes they do. Personally, I can confirm that a senior level R&D engineer visits this site and actually posts as well.

I will not tell you who it is.

why no one made any official comment about screen problems...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Choice of 2 listed staff members - nz and bragon. Search forum using these ids to discover areas of interest. Jaffar hasn't posted in years.

Welcome Craig, and thanks for the active participation.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:13 am 

Remember that an Archos staff member could be here on an account that doesn't show his/her connection with the company. Could be anyone... 8)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Harfainx wrote:
Remember that an Archos staff member could be here on an account that doesn't show his/her connection with the company. Could be anyone... 8)

Yes, of course. I was answering the spirit behind this comment:-
Bazabaza wrote:

Hiding behind an anonymous id is what we all do (except for the very honest Nicholas King, of course :) ). I thought that Bazabaza was implying that it would be a good PR thing for Archos to publically contribute to (more of) the aired problems on these forums, by, at the very least, acknowledging them. As Craig, to his credit, seems to be doing.

However, I don't want to get drawn into more pointless speculations, so I'm out. I just wanted to inject some simple facts into the discussion, like, in this case, how to find out about the members of the forum, by simply listing members using an option at the top of the screen.

I'm always amazed how many pages of questions, answers, and speculation are taken up by doubt over info on devices, and which is freely available. Like a recent discussion about the size of the A80 G9. All the dimensional data is on the Archos website.

E.g. I found it very useful to compare the weight of the G9 A101 compared to the G8 A101. The new one is approx one third heavier than the old one. This was relevant to me because I've been trying the Asus Transformer (with keyboard dock) over the past few days. It's an absolute gem (for reasons which are a story on its own - not for here), but I decided to return it because of the weight of the tablet on its own. It makes the hand very tired / sore after a relatively short time.

So, using the Archos website, I had a quick look to check the weight of the A101 G9, and I was surprised to find it was a similar weight, to within a few grams, as the Asus Transformer. Hmm... Maybe its because only the A80 is out now, but I've not heard any adverse comments about holding the A101. Plus, the Asus Transformer has been hugely popular.

I've only seen one comment about the weight of the A101 G9, in a YouTube unboxing video, but its a lot heavier than the G8.

Anyhoo, my post was just to expand on the facts of Craig's post, show how easy it is to check stuff, and encourage Craig in his active participation. Like Bazabaza, I wish more (declared) Archos staff would contribute to more of the discussions, and that archos would encourage them to do so.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:48 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I plug Archos 80 G9 to PC with usb cable, no storage show. 4 day before it showed my sdcard and internal memory, copy files ok.

note: everything use as normal, just no detect storage when plug in pc.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:54 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Playing live TV from the BBC website, the Formula 1 stream being a case in point, is extremely slow and frequently locks when outputting via HDMI. When not using HDMI the performance is much better but sound quickly gets 5 seconds or so ahead of the video.

The stream is not direct from iPlayer, it's on their sports pages on

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 616361.stm

I don't know if it's essentially the same as the live TV streams.