Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:06 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:06 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Tomorrow: London - I guess for more English vids.
September 2 ÔÇô 7, 2011: IFA Berlin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:25 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hey, thanks for all the info about the new Gen9. Would much appreciate if you can post any video link from the London announcement. TIA.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:47 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

something from androidcentral hands-on:

http://www.androidcentral.com/hands-archos-g9-tablets

The biggest physical difference between the two tablets is their respective aspect ratios. The 10.1-inch model ships with a widescreen display running at 1280x800, whereas the smaller 8-inch G9 runs at 1024x768, and is slightly more square-shaped. Speaking of the screen, it's nice and bright, and viewing angles are good too. It's nice to see that Archos hasn't compromised on picture quality in these low-cost tablets. We mentioned the different storage options before -- some models will ship with 16GB of flash storage, while others will sport 250GB in the form of a good old-fashioned HDD. Archos assured us that the impact on weight and device thickness would be minimal, with only a couple of millimeters being added to the back of the chassis on models with the HDD option. Speaking of options, we're told that certain models will ship with 512MB of RAM, while others will a full gigabyte. We're not thrilled about the prospect of Honeycomb on less than a gig of RAM, but at least this won't be the case on every G9.

512, Archos?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:58 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanks for the link. One thing I noticed is how big the bezel looks on the 80. It's not noticeable at first glance because of the two-tone scheme, but when you tune out that border, it's almost like 2" on the size and 1" on the top/bottom. My calcs put it at 1.25" and 0.6", which I'm sure is more accurate. I think it's just the relation between bezel and screen size that makes the former look outsized. Still, could use less bezel there, Archos.

Yeah, the peek-a-boo nature of the RAM spec is kinda scary, as is with the announced price info. It's not a big deal. We'll know soon enough when these things are released. I don't get worked up over the pre-release hype anyway. Learned my lesson from last year.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:33 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I just hope Archos will say clearly what models come up with 512MB and what ones with 1GB, then it's just customer option to buy one of another, instead of not saying anything and find yourself with 256mb device, like in Gen8.

If they advertise the RAM capacity, it's fair for me.. you pay and get what you want/need.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:34 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

http://www.slashgear.com/archos-80-g9-a ... -28161817/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:50 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

BenMars wrote:
http://www.slashgear.com/archos-80-g9-and-101-g9-tablets-hands-on-video-28161817/

Wow! You've got to love that article. Not only do they report "sluggishness and crashes" that no one else has reported (Androidcentral has the opposite impression), they even got a lot of their facts wrong.

I hate modern journalism...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:13 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

The_Blood_Raven wrote:
BenMars wrote:
http://www.slashgear.com/archos-80-g9-and-101-g9-tablets-hands-on-video-28161817/

Wow! You've got to love that article. Not only do they report "sluggishness and crashes" that no one else has reported (Androidcentral has the opposite impression), they even got a lot of their facts wrong.

I hate modern journalism...

like i said on another thread, slashgear acting like apple fanatic who can not act well near superior specified tablet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:52 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I saw ONE crash, well known by ingeneers : the "info" fonction of the Pictures app is not implemented. If you clic on it it you obtain an error message. I did it but asked the guy before writing anything because it is normal !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:01 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I Hope everyone noticed that Henri Crohas is Quoted by ZDNET(UK) that Archos is still awaiting google certification on
Gen 9. http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/mobile-devi ... -40093265/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:12 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

10robertb wrote:
I Hope everyone noticed that Henri Crohas is Quoted by ZDNET(UK) that Archos is still awaiting google certification on

And what does Google certification do? I dont think they would be advertising the Android Market if they weren't certain that they would be able to implement it. I mean from the looks of this tablet, it has everything Google certified ones have. Im just curious as to what the benefits of official certification are?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:47 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

You're wrong.
In 2009, they did it but wasn't able to implement the Market on the 5 IT

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Without google certification no google apps preinstalled No Market. Not as big a deal now with Amazon App Store and Googles
own Android Market online. But if Google doesn't certify don't expect Gen 9 to run as smoothly as other manufacturers tablets.
Google doesn't withhold certification without cause. In this case Archos must show that TI processor is fully optimized to run
Honeycomb 3.1 or 3.2. I'm just guessing but given the lack of clarity on how much Ram gen 9 is going to have can be a big issue. Acer released Iconia A500 with 1G of Ram and has had no problems even will upgrade to Honeycomb 3.1. But they
were supposed to release Iconia A100 running Honeycomb with 512mb ram and have had some difficulties getting this to
function properly. I'll ne interested to see reviews of A100 which should be released before Archos gen9 to see performance
on whether gen 9 will be worth buying. I own A70 and love it. Only down fall is 256mb Ram. Given the Dual Core processor
that Gen 9 will pack it would be rediculous to not have 1G of Ram.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:41 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

10robertb wrote:

Ooo... I have a definite feeling of Deja-Vu here as it was about this time of the year we had the Gen8 announcement and we were all excited, they didn't get Google then!

Always someone else's fault, but marketing can say what they want until final product.

BTW, they can show Google stuff on a dev Android screen but that does not mean they can SELL any units with Google apps market unless approved! [-X

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:37 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

10robertb wrote:

Quote:
Crohas said TI's processor makes the G9 tablets 50 percent faster than either Apple iPad 2 or many other manufacturers' Tegra 2-based Android tablets.

This is not true, they cant compare two different processors only based in their clock speed. What they expect lying to their future customers?

Better wait for benchmarks and user experience to say that

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:54 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

tester482 wrote:
10robertb wrote:

Quote:
Crohas said TI's processor makes the G9 tablets 50 percent faster than either Apple iPad 2 or many other manufacturers' Tegra 2-based Android tablets.

This is not true, they cant compare two different processors only based in their clock speed. What they expect lying to their future customers?

All companies lie to their customers unfortunately. Apple is the king at making their products seem more revolutionary than they really are.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

bmar29 wrote:
tester482 wrote:
10robertb wrote:

Quote:

All companies lie to their customers unfortunately. Apple is the king at making their products seem more revolutionary than they really are.

Apple tends to exaggerate in their presentations, but usually do not tell lies so clumsy as the Archos chief chairman

50% faster than the A5 apple chip ! are still laughing at his office in Cupertino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:32 pm 

I think when he said that he was stating it purely from the physical stand-point.

1GHz dual-core chip vs 1.5GHz dual-core chip = 50% increase in raw power

Logically it won't even be close to a 50% increase in actual computing power. We will probably see something closer to a ~15-20% increase in actual speed.

I would bet he was talking about raw power, not actual computing power.

This is not a lie, companies talk about speed and power all the time, and it's almost never accurate. They talk about raw numbers, not logical speed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:46 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Harfainx wrote:
I think when he said that he was stating it purely from the physical stand-point.

Logically it won't even be close to a 50% increase in actual computing power. We will probably see something closer to a ~15-20% increase in actual speed.

This is not a lie, companies talk about speed and power all the time, and it's almost never accurate. They talk about raw numbers, not logical speed.

If you want to see it in that way you are free to think what you want. I see another thing:

Quote:

he┬┤s comparing two devices, people without knowledge in electronic may think reading that, new Archos device its 50% faster than ipad 2 wich it┬┤s a nonsense

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:27 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Harfainx wrote:

Tegra 3 (quad core) is touted to be five times faster than Tegra 2 (Dual core).