Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:56 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:07 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

HOW TO GET VOLTAIRE ROM

I saw another post where members were asking how to get the Voltaire rom, and I myself was quite confused. So I will provide a bit of direction.

Go to this site for bq's official tutorial on how to flash Voltaire onto your tablet. Its in Spanish but if you are using Google Chrome it will offer to translate the page to English for you.
http://www.mibqyyo.com/2011/05/13/instalacin-del-firmware-en-el-bq-voltaire-hard-reset/

To clear things up, I'll provide a brief explanation.

This rom is made for a Spanish manufacturer called bq. The device is basically the same as the Archos 70c, so we can use it. But unlike our Archos it is a full fledged android OS with market and google apps and no junky ereader interface.

First, download these files
The drivers for your PC to use when flashing your archos
http://www.mediafire.com/?r0sclvfhvmvequa

The image file of the voltair rom to flash onto your archos
http://www.mediafire.com/?ybwf0dok7qrl0pg

The program RKandroidbatchupgrade to conduct the flash
http://www.mediafire.com/?iny1l9aq8f3bj8j

My directions are based off of bq's, and are not necessarily better. This should help those that cant get the translator to work, or maybe provide a better reference. You don't have to use them so don't be too critical.

Code:
1. get all the files unzipped onto your desktop or some other place on your pc where you can [/color]easily work with them

2. Get RKAndroid up and running. First unzip the folder.  You need both the .exe file and the accompanying language folder for RK to work.  For my installation I had to delete the Chinese language file out of the language folder to get the program in English.  Now that RK is running close it. 

3.  Turn off your tablet.  To do this hold the power button until a menu appears asking you whether you would like to shut down or suspend.  Choose shut down and wait for the screen to go black.

4. Remove any SD cards just as a precaution.  Also, you are about to erase all the data on your tablet.  Backup everything so you don't get bricked if something goes wrong.

5. Now, you must hold down the right arrow button (the one that turns pages as an e-reader).  Do not let go of this button!  You cannot let go of it until you have finished the entire process (I'm not 100% sure this is correct, but it works).  I find that it is easiest to hold the device upside down so that I can hold and press the button with my left hand. 

6. While holding the right arrow button plug in the USB cord

7. Windows should prompt you about drivers, click the notification icon by your window's clock.  If you don't get the notification go to your device manager and look for the yellow exclamation mark showing your RK device.

8. Now right click and choose update drivers.  Then select the drivers that you previously downloaded.  THe device should now show normal in device manager and show up as RKXXX (X = some numbers).  If it doesnt work properly you may have to unplug and re-plug the USB as I did.

9.  Open RKandroidbatchupgrade.exe.  A green box under the number one should be shown.  on the bottom half of the application screen.  If the box isn't green your drivers didn't install right.

10. Select the ... button next to the image file bar (the second bar down) and choose the voltaire image you downloaded.

11. Then hit upgrade!  This takes a few minutes.  The green box will now show yellow with a percentage inside.  When all done and the box is green again disconnect the device

12.  Get a pin and press the reset button breifly.  Now hold the power button until the device powers on.  It will do some formatting that takes a couple of minutes, be patient.  Note, the device may shutoff requiring you to boot it up.  If so, just hold the power button until the bq logo appears. 

13.  After waiting for the tablet to fully boot up you will see the calibrate touchscreen program.  Calibrate and press the android robot when done.

14.  Now, you are in Spanish land.  Navigate to the settings (its a cog wheel and its the first option.)  Then look through for the language option.  In spanish language is Idioma or something like that.  Then select the option that says Lacale.  Then choose English USA.

15.  You have successfully made your Archos 70c not suck!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you for the tutorial.

The largest problem is this firmware is not rooted, and I can't root it by using z4root (ver 1.2, 1.3 either).

So how can we use several important apps which required rooted on our Archos 70b ereader?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:26 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm having the same issue getting rooted. I've Been unsuccessful at finding a solution. Driving me crazy because I really want netflix. :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,
this is the latest rooted Voltaire rom: http://www.mediafire.com/?nayrcjc3bu07rso . It's based on the 20110906-v2 rom from BQ.
The only thing new I noticed, is the new Market Place App (with updater).
The rooted old one (based on 20110511): http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ml82u60o3celzyp

Jefi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:59 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

This is a official firmware? Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

They are based on the official firmware. I only added Superuser.apk and the permanent root.

jefi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:01 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Got it working using jefi's rom.

Thanks for the instructions ldsgja!

Still can't connect to wifi :doubt: