Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:52 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:15 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Last Sunday my Archos 7HTV2 got unusable. The A7HTV2 only has soft buttons and many parts of my screen were not "touch sensitive" anymore for a few months already (which I also mentioned in several posts): Calibration didn't work at all (I always had to pack a backup of calibration settings for my own personal roms). Home key only worked in 90 degrees portrait mode, Menu key only in landscape mode, select "things" on the left side only in landscape mode. Screen brightness in all ebook readers (left side swipe upwards/downwards) only in 270 degrees portrait mode, volume lower only in portrait mode), "progress slider drag" in movie players not on all parts of the movie progress bar.
Last Sunday suddenly two bigger parts of the screen didn't function anymore and about 30% of the screen is no longer "touch sensitive" (even though it displays correct) which makes it in practice completely unusable.
So I bought an new tablet. It's a 7" tablet with capacitive screen and got the Alwinner A10 CPU which is technically an integrated Cortex A8, like the RK2918, or the not integrated Cortex A8's from the Archos A70 and A101 Internet tablets, but it's running at a higher speed. It's very fast(*) with the mentioned capacitive screen for only 99 Euros. I assume it's chinese build quality but who cares: In this fast growing and developing tablet market these tablets are out-of-date in 1-2 years anyway.
(*): Antutu bechmarks:
A7HTV2/froyo.21 {RAM, CPUinteger, CPUfloat,2Dgraphics, 3DGraphics,DB IO, total} = {80,192,16,217,45,65,615}
QwarePro3/ICS4.0.3 (not tweaked) {RAM, CPUinteger, CPUfloat,2Dgraphics, 3DGraphics,DB IO, total} = {400,633,161,285,1116,240,2835}

I have now started to tweak my new tablet. It's rooted by default and it is completely(!) writable if you know how to simply "switch" that on. I can customize and tweak on the fly.

I want to say goodbye and thank you for the nice cooperation and discussions. I will occasionally come back (I think) but my first interest is now with "my other tablet". Don't expect further upgrades of my roms as I can't use them myself anymore. I hope someone takes over.

Some useful links to Wiki articles I posted and roms I created:
Unbrick RK2818 [Mac OS X/Linux/BSD][Windows]
Roms A7HTV2 [eclair][froyo][gingerbread]
Dump your RK2818 firmware rom and create a custom rom
RK2818: The flashing mechanism and recovery images

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:33 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

We will miss you. Thank you for all =D>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for all your work and enjoy your new pad. Fred

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you very much, to make my archos better. Hope we see you.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:08 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Dear HVDWolf,

Thank you for all of your efforts during the past 18+ months. Good luck to you in all of your future endeavors.

Best Regards,

Andrew Park

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hvdwolf, thanks for all the work you've done on this tablet. It's helped a great deal in making this thing useable. I've pretty much moved on myself (ASUS Transformer), but still use your ROM on that old Archos once in a while. If it was still stock it'd probably be boxed in a closet by now. :)