Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 2:01 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,

sorry for you hvrwolf, but I got a A70CHT from a friend for pimping up and I wasn't too happy with your ROMs. The froyo's have issues with video playback and are freezing on display timeout. The eclair's have a calibration-loop which seems to be an OOPS in the startup sequence. For this reason, I put together my own flavor which does the job for me. Nevertheless: kudos to hvrwolf, because I've leared someting from his ROMs that help me very much 8)

Building: Sorry for you windooze types, but I do not upload the update.img due to copyright issues - ROMs are not open-source, remember? Instead, grab a standard Linux and cook your own. Download http://sven-ola.dyndns.org/repo/archos-kit-0.1.tgz, unpack and make. Ready in 2 minutes (or 15 seconds when re-building without downloading again).

Flashing: put the resulting update.img to the tablet as ususal. Wipes your config. Mind the recovery description at the end of the build or read the Makefile. Also note, that no GPS apps show up in market - but that seems OK because the hidden apps (e.g. Öffi) do not install either...

Note for ROM builders: Archos has encrypted the first 128k of system.img and I'm too lazy to decrypt. Also, Archos uses a change zlib compression option - without this change, the resulting ROM causes calibration loops. Dunno if it's a bug or a weird kind of copy-prot.

I may never show up on this forum again, because my friend should be happy now and I return his tablet with lots of softs installed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:34 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Your approach of using a Makefile is interesting. I use (ba)sh scripts with a set of variables to e.g. (partial) roms in the header and some command line parameters to build all my roms.
There is a tool called rkDecrypt.exe that decrypts the system images. It works fine in wine (I only use Mac OS X and Linux as well).

Note though that roms are partly not open-source indeed but definitely not illegal to build and distribute. If you read the (L)GPL licenses and the Google licenses you will notice that distribution of Google apps even to "non phones", e.g. tablets, is now allowed.
Note also that if you make changes to (L)GPL code you need to be able and willing to distribute your changes on request. That is what (L)GPL stands for.

Including some apps like rootexplorer and a couple of others is not allowed in roms. I only include allowed apks.

Thanks for your addition of using a Makefile with some patches as build method. I wil definitely look into this.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi hvrwolf,

thanks for the tips. Found naobsd's GIT repo which also contains rkdecrypt.c as a waiting commit. Makes it possible to remove the wine(windows) dependency by replacing with source code now available to me.

Have a look into http://sven-ola.dyndns.org/repo/archos-kit-0.2.tgz which now uses rkdecrypt to get the unencrypted system.img. Mey be eventually possible to run that stuff on the tablet itself now, e.g. with that debian installer available in that repo - I may play with that now.

As a side note, only Wizard.apk is removed which prevents the unnecessary calibration wiz from starting automatically. Thus, leaving TSCalibration.apk intact for on-demand calibration in system settings...

// Sven-Ola

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:18 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I┬┤m trying your script:

Installed Ubuntu 10
Downloaded v1 of the script
run 2apt-get install build-essentials fakeroot wine libusb-dev"
Error finding build-essentials
Then I tried install build-essential and worked
Run the scrip with make (for the third time, as I have also to install... some other command, do not remember, something related to copy or append files..., nothing that apt-get could not solve)
And finally, script stopped as it cannot find zlib.h (not found).

Some suggestion?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:41 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

On the second script:

Plesase, add "git" in the apt-get development environment (README file).

This time hanged in "Cloning into downloads/rkutils."
Stopped, run again and the same error, cannot find zlib.h.
Solved with zlib1g-dev

Next error:
-/afptool.sh: 23: /tmp/archos: not found
make: *** [update.img] Error 127
Silly error, Linux does not like spaces in directory... as stupid as windows...
I saw some warnings while compiling... do I have to worry (file extend past end of file)?
I respond myself: check update failed, the firmware was not installed when copying to the tablet.

Last edited by aleste2 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:03 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

sven-ola wrote:
As a side note, only Wizard.apk is removed which prevents the unnecessary calibration wiz from starting automatically. Thus, leaving TSCalibration.apk intact for on-demand calibration in system settings...

This is so obvious. I do the same when copying roms from other tablets (like my Arnova7 based froyo rom) to make them run on mine. And now I even didn't think of it. :(
Thanks for mentioning this blind spot.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:09 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

sven-ola wrote:
thanks for the tips. Found naobsd's GIT repo which also contains rkdecrypt.c as a waiting commit. Makes it possible to remove the wine(windows) dependency by replacing with source code now

Where did you find that rkdecrypt? I use naobsd's repo as well, but as far as I can see there is no rkdecrypt.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

sven-ola wrote:
Hi hvrwolf,

thanks for the tips. Found naobsd's GIT repo which also contains rkdecrypt.c as a waiting commit. Makes it possible to remove the wine(windows) dependency by replacing with source code now available to me.

Have a look into http://sven-ola.dyndns.org/repo/archos-kit-0.2.tgz which now uses rkdecrypt to get the unencrypted system.img. Mey be eventually possible to run that stuff on the tablet itself now, e.g. with that debian installer available in that repo - I may play with that now.

// Sven-Ola

Can you upload the upgrade.img?
I am not able to compile it.

Edit: finally I get the script v2 working!
The warning is still there but the image file was correct (I had a silly error transfering it)
Afer flashing the tablet worked as promised!
Wifi working
Market working...

:D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:24 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

aleste2 wrote:
Edit: finally I get the script v2 working!
The warning is still there but the image file was correct (I had a silly error transfering it)
Afer flashing the tablet worked as promised!
Wifi working
Market working...

:D

Good for you!
I removed my images. I still don't know why they don't function.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:42 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

sven-ola wrote:
Have a look into http://sven-ola.dyndns.org/repo/archos-kit-0.2.tgz which now uses rkdecrypt to get the unencrypted system.img.

Very nice piece of work. Works flawless on my linux box.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:27 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi all,

got it working on the Archos tablet itself - thanks to no more Windows binaries in there. It's much slower, ~ 5 minutes to make update.img but it works. Due to the fact, that the CRAMfs is read-only, I have to heavily adapt my Debian-Installer to work with a read-only-root (most Androids use a remountable RAM-disk as root dev so I added pivot_root to do the same here). If someone is interested and not in point-and-click-only mode, she/he may try out http://sven-ola.dyndns.org/repo/debian-kit-en.html on the A70CHT.

While working with stock Debian, I detected more dependencies on the ROM builder. For this reason, a newer version is here: http://sven-ola.dyndns.org/repo/archos-kit-0.3.tgz

Also thanks for the replies. Here are some answers:

@aleste: I miss-spelled "build-essentials". Nevertheless, with a stock Debian/Ubuntu more packages are required, I now have the complete list in the README. Hmm - yes a couple of compiler/program warnings are normal. The Makefile will stop if md5sum does not match anyhow, thus you cannot create a wrong update.img.

@hvdwolf: rkdecrypt.c is a contribution(Ithamar) not pulled into naobsd's repo currently. Still waiting here: https://github.com/naobsd/rkutils/pull/1 Note, that it does not work when compiled with -O2 (img is garbled). For this reason, I searched the key in the Windows-exe avail here and there only to find out that Archos uses the key mentioned in the rkdecrypt.c. Sometimes things need a bit to come out correctly. About your images: I presume it's the mkcramfs with Z_BEST_COMPRESSION. Look into my cramfs*.patch

P.S.: Today I return the tablet. Was fun meeting you...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ah - one further note: You need at least 1024Mb for the debian.img to get the ROM builder running on Android. Debian=205Mb, +Softs=423Mb, +update.img=801Mb.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just a short note. There is an installer for Windows now included that installs the necessary cygwin stuff. Hence a new version: http://sven-ola.dyndns.org/repo/archos-kit-0.4.tgz Note that the webserver redirects all download links mentioned to this archive file now.