Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:35 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Best Firmware Available
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:21 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have recently purchase an Archos 7 HTv2 and i want to know which is the fastest ROM for it enclair , froyo or gingerbread ? (i have already tested the latest froyo and its a little buggy). Thx.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:06 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

You could try the Eclair Custom ROM by HvdWolf... Just search in forum... Works fine (it's the original rom slightly modified), is rooted... Google Market works and not...but for me is not a problem because you can always find the APKs on the web.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:57 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

birdiebnl 21.04 (Android 2.1) is the best. Fast, and stable, it's everything the Archos ROM should have been. Market works well (though sometimes it's reluctant to get started, and sometimes it will STOP working.)

I hear hvdwolf's 2.1 is equally good, but I've never tried it myself since birdiebnl's has been nothing but awesome.

birdiebnl 22.06 (Android 2.2) was ok, but slightly too unstable to use. EDIT: He's up to 22.22 now.

The gingerbread (Android 2.3) ROMs are interesting, but very slow and very unstable. I appreciate the effort, as it let me test some software that demanded 2.3. But I need to use this tablet, so I'm going back to 21.04.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

wrzwicky wrote:
The gingerbread (Android 2.3) ROMs are interesting, but very slow and very unstable.

The gingerbreads are not slow. The average performance is quite well. The rom does have some hickups though: it sometimes stops for 1-3 seconds and then continues. I do not know yet what causes this.
Iß©┐ again now running my gingerbread.05 rom for a couple of days now and I must say that it is really stable. Not one single crash yet.

It does have some drawbacks currently. Especially that the usb connection to pc is really flaky: most of the time you do not get a connection.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Erick P. wrote:
You could try the Eclair Custom ROM by HvdWolf...

I think HvdWolf Eclaire ROM is the best for A7HTv2.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:05 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I've tried all of them and I noticed that the launcher seems to make a huge difference. Wolf's Ginger seemed too slow and jerky but when I installed and used the latest ADW EX launcher his Ginger worked smooth and fast. A big difference. However I couldn't get any video player to work right except Rock Player Lite. And no soft volume without widget or shortcut. However Birdie's Last Froyo is absolutely flawless! Everything works perfectly and it even automatically updated to the new Google Play (Market). None of the other roms did that for me. Plus it has the stock video player that works flawlessly and soft volume. So that's what I settled on. It totally breathed new life into my 7.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Cyberpunk wrote:
However Birdie's Last Froyo is absolutely flawless! Everything works perfectly and it even automatically updated to the new Google Play (Market). None of the other roms did that for me.

And that was for a very good reason!!
Birdie's rom is an old rom (which as such is not bad at all if it functions well) and that time we had the 2.3.x series of the market.
Then came the market 3.0.x, 3.1.y and 3.2.z. Those market versions performed terribly bad and were faulty on our tablets. That's why I removed the market updater from my roms to really prevent the update (read the posts of all the complaints about those versions and not only on this forum). As birdies rom is "that old" it simply missed the intermediate rubbish versions of the market.
If you check the info I gave with my last 2-3 roms, you see I incorporated a script to reinstall the market updater, to allow to update to the new market (Google Play) if you really wanted to (and also why I did it like that).
Currently the new 3.4.x series perform "reasonably" on the RK2818 tablets, but it is still far from the performance of the "old" 2.3.6 market versions that are in my roms.
If I would still have a functional 7HTv2, a new rom would probably still not include the market updater with the new Google Play as it doesn't bring anything new to our tablet, only worse performance.
Only if the old version wouldn't function anymore I would make the new Google Play part of my roms: If the new "thing" is worse, then don't include it.

(But that's now all history since my 7HTv2 doesn't function anymore).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:23 am 
Archos User
Archos User

hvdwolf wrote:
(But that's now all history since my 7HTv2 doesn't function anymore).

Yeah, history for me to. I just got the 70b w/Honey and for 199 bones this thing is totally sweet. I'll probably give it a couple weeks to make sure its not bugged up and then sell my nice mint 7 v2.