Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:24 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:52 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Is there any way? I mean flashing an arm distro completely to the unit as main/ dual boot OS, not the chroot+vnc thing (that's veeeery slow). Another way i thought is flashing a very basic ROM with /system writing support, busybox, su and VNC. Making chrooted environment start automatically with gscript or something like that. But I cannot properly install full busybox and write on /system partition in any 2.1 ROM i've founded(2.2 seems unstable, hadn't tried). I could only install chrooted Debian with embedded busybox on galoula's app. Can anybody help?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:58 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yes, there is a way. But nobody knows what it is. You're the one that gets the honor of figuring it out! 8)

No, there aren't any "proper" Linux distros for the Archos. I haven't even heard of one for *any* ARM tablet. If you really want a full Linux in your pocket, you'd probably be better off hitting up eBay for a "UMPC" (ultra-mobile PC, refers to small Microsoft-based tablets). I've been lusting after the Viliv S5 myself, a tiny 5-inch machine.

Edit: I just read up on galoula's app, it looks pretty cool. I'm not sure you're going to see much advantage from a native Linux; ARM7 is pretty slow, and the Archos wifi is rather slow as well. You might try probing your chroot installation to see if you can find out why it's so slow.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I would try non-galoula's chroot environment if i could install busybox and access it in adb shell, but busybox seems to not work righrt. It's maybe one sort of write-protect or the lack of aufs.ko file in kernel (anyway, i've used a ROM that had this module, and busybox simply didn't work) or maybe busybox is not fully compatible.

I got one usb female-female (actually, i've managed to build it) so i can use a keyboard when the touchscreen has got no drivers, and i'm thinking about giving it a try installing debian arm directly (like any other ROM flash), but the possibillity of bricking my device is near 100%. Do you know any way of unbrick it? If there's any, I'll give a try.

BTW, Have you ever heard about Raspberry Pi? Its hardware is similar to a7htv2 one, and it runs debian, actually, it was designed to run Ubuntu at the start of the project.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Linpus now has an arm version of there linux.

http://www.linpus.com/products_android.html

Might be worth a look, not sure how to get this on.

Sorry if this is a necropost :-/