Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:52 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 18 Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:19 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I bought it with your ROM in it a week ago (second hand), but i guess the previous owner full flashed it, he said it's the fastest rom. If i try to full flash it, could that help with the random closes and force closes? I love it anyway, i can open almost everything i have on my laptop with it, and the battery is also works nice. So heavy laptop stays home from now on.

Should i intall some video codec? Strangely it only plays audio, no video with some x264 movie, other x264s are playing well.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:40 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

bosset wrote:
I bought it with your ROM in it a week ago (second hand), but i guess the previous owner full flashed it, he said it's the fastest rom. If i try to full flash it, could that help with the random closes and force closes? I love it anyway, i can open almost everything i have on my laptop with it, and the battery is also works nice. So heavy laptop stays home from now on.

Should i intall some video codec? Strangely it only plays audio, no video with some x264 movie, other x264s are playing well.

Thank you!

Maybe a full flash with the 18 rom would be best. The fact that you have random and forced closes means that something seems to be wrong. Using the 17 or 18 rom the past 1› month I only had 1-2 forced closes. It could also be the apps you are using. Some or not that good or stable.

You should not need to install any codec. All codecs are available (and I packed a few extra MS extra codecs.)
You might get some issues if the x264 movies are coded with a "high-profile" profile using every whistle&bell, but until everything played on my tablet.
Only one thing: the AC3 (audio) codec is not supported on Archos. convert it to mp3 or aac or something like that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:34 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I just installed this rom, and overall it works very nicely. But it seems quite a bit slower than birdiebnl 21.04, and a bit less stable as well. I can trace some crashes to my own fault, but then I just saw Market crash, which (I think) I've never seen on Eclair.

To bosset: The Archos uses a coprocessor to decode video, as the main CPU is not powerful enough. Consequently we're limited to what the Rockchip drivers support. It's normal for some files to display no video if the decoder doesn't like something about the video stream. I've been recoding videos to 800x480 to shrink the file, as well as ensure they'll be compatible.

FWIW, I found this rom to be exactly as capable as the eclair roms, which is pretty impressive. Too bad it's so much slower.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:28 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

wrzwicky wrote:
I just installed this rom, and overall it works very nicely. But it seems quite a bit slower than birdiebnl 21.04, and a bit less stable as well. I can trace some crashes to my own fault, but then I just saw Market crash, which (I think) I've never seen on Eclair.

I have only experienced Market crashes in the first few times after syncing. I don't know why.

With regard to speed: yes, it is slower. Simply because froyo is so much heavier on the hardware then eclair. I think this is the only reason why Archos still sticks to eclair for the RK2818 types. eclair does the job and is faster.
Only on capacitive screens where you want to use multi-touch you are better off with froyo.

A couple of months ago a wide range of benchmarks were run and eclair always won. However, linpack (if you used that as benchmark tool) doesn't give a completely correct figure.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:23 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm trying to figure out what are the main differences between Froyo and Eclair, and i've just read that Eclair doesn't support 720p? Is it true? What are differences concerning video quality? (if any). I thought Eclair was worse - like the touchscreen is worse on Eclair than with Froyo, or am i wrong?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:46 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

bosset wrote:
I'm trying to figure out what are the main differences between Froyo and Eclair, and i've just read that Eclair doesn't support 720p? Is it true?

No. eclair does it support as well. What's more: the drivers on froyo and eclair are identical.
bosset wrote:
What are differences concerning video quality? (if any).

No differences.
bosset wrote:
I thought Eclair was worse - like the touchscreen is worse on Eclair than with Froyo, or am i wrong?

No, the touchscreen isn't worse.

Try either birdiebnl's eclair rom or mine. Both are good. Both are (slightly) faster then Froyo.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you! Maybe it was the original Archos Eclair firmware that i heard was buggy? Now i can't see why Froyo is considered to be better than Eclair.. what is its advantage? Newer apps?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:39 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

bosset wrote:
Thank you! Maybe it was the original Archos Eclair firmware that i heard was buggy? Now i can't see why Froyo is considered to be better than Eclair.. what is its advantage? Newer apps?

The very first one for the RK2808 was bugy indeed. The next versions were all good but limited compared to the custom roms.

If you are using Mac OS X Tiger (10.4) and it works OK (and I 'm sure it does), then why go to Leopard (10.5), Snow Leopard (10.6) or Lion (10.7).
Or if Ubuntu 10.4 works good, why upgrade to 10.10?
Or for that matter: If XP runs OK on your pc, then why go to Vista or windows 7? (why run Windows anyway :D ?)

Froyo's memory management is much improved and it's JIT compiler is much better. The better memory management helps you but at the same time the memory footprint of froyo is bigger and the Archos has little memory. The JIT compiler uses a lot of builtin CPU functions and the RK2818 CPU only supports a small subset (and the RK2808 not at all), so that's not really a big improvement.
Froyo supports applications from the SDCard if you format your SDCard to have two partitions: an EXT3 and a FAT32 partition. But that one isn't really useful as the internal data memeory of the Archos is by far big enough: 500MB. Some phones have no more than 20-50MB.

Froyo is simply the way forward and has already been passed by gingerbread, honecomb and the very soon to be released ice cream sandwich (note the first letter of every next version).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:07 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

You're right, if there are no system requirements, why not:)
I don't know any better place to ask this: is there any chance to move the taskbar to the bottom of the screen in horizontal mode? It's on the bottom in vertical position, but on the right in horizontal (i guess that's normal, but if i can change it, please tell me, thank you again so much for your helps!)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

=D> Thanks for the answer! :D

Last edited by KARKAS on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:25 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

KARKAS wrote:
;) Very much it would be desirable to have live wall-paper of a desktop in an insertion. Probably to make it or not?
Thanks for the answer! :D

I'm not sure what you mean with "live wall-paper of a desktop in an insertion".
There are live wall papers apks available for Froyo. Please find them here.
Unzip the file and copy them to your internal memory or SDcard. You need to install the "LiveWallpapersPicker.apk" for sure. The others are optional and only a few work.
Download others from the market.

Touch and hold the main screen. You will now get a WallPapers option. Select it and you will get the Interactive Wallpapers option.

Note: I do no put them in my roms, nor will I. For the very simple reason that our tablet is actually not fast enough. Some work, some are beautiful, but most don't work. See for yourself.
I will only pack the "LiveWallpapersPicker.apk" inside the tablet. If users don't use, they won't even notice.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have just installed the latest Froyo and found my PC can't access the tablet.
Because I'd also like try to other firmwares, I need to write the updater into root.
The best way would be to use some file manager and move it into root.

However I found a weird thing. After the tablet went out of power, I pluged a recharger in it, but the LED indicator doesn't light. When I try to turn it on, the logo is displayed, but that's all. What should I do now?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:36 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

mike27182 wrote:
I have just installed the latest Froyo and found my PC can't access the tablet.
Because I'd also like try to other firmwares, I need to write the updater into root.
The best way would be to use some file manager and move it into root.

However I found a weird thing. After the tablet went out of power, I pluged a recharger in it, but the LED indicator doesn't light. When I try to turn it on, the logo is displayed, but that's all. What should I do now?

Just reset it. Stick a needle in the small reset hole on the backside.
This is an issue that sometimes occurs on these Rockchip tablets, although I have seen it also on wondermedia tablets..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Quote:

Thanks. I had done it before and it didn't help, it seems it's necessary to hold it for a few seconds.
Do you have any tip regarding my first question? What's the easiest or fastest way to get the updater there without using cable?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:08 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

mike27182 wrote:
Quote:

Thanks. I had done it before and it didn't help, it seems it's necessary to hold it for a few seconds.
Do you have any tip regarding my first question? What's the easiest or fastest way to get the updater there without using cable?

If you have an SDcard, simply unmount it, remove it, put it in your pc (via a card reader) and copy your update.img onto it.
Your Archos will read the update.img both from internal memory as from the sd card.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Good, now I'm going to experiment with different FWs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:28 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Cannot get Skype to work.
Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:07 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

ginmichaelvodka wrote:
Cannot get Skype to work.
Any thoughts?

I tried a handful of skype versions: not one worked.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:32 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

links seem dead in first postany hance of getting this rom? pls

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:52 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

sleepy83 wrote:
links seem dead in first postany hance of getting this rom? pls

I think I don't have them anymore. I will do a search and otherwise I will build a version 19 series which are almost equal and just contain some newer stuff.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 18 Next