Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:17 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous 112 13 14 15 16 Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hvdwolf wrote:
frenzl wrote:
Hoi hvdwolf,
ik draai je 2011.15 versie en het valt me op dat
(1) de batterijduur niet echt overhoudt, ik heb het ding nu ca 1 week en moet hem dagelijks en soms 2 keer per dag opladen(en ik zit er echt niet de hele dag mee te spelen).
(2) ook al zet ik hem s'avonds op standby (met half volle accu) hij 'smorgens toch helemaal leeg is en zo dood als een pier
(3) Het opladen ook te wensen overlaat. Over de eerste 50 % doet ie meer dan 3 uur, de laastste 50 % in ca een half uur. Komt een en ander je bekend voor en zit hem dat dan in jouw custom rom of ligt het aan het tablet zelf, is het gewoon een stroomvreter.

Overigens niets dan lof voor het werk dat je verzet en zo graag met ons noobs wil delen. De originele update die ik op dag 2 op het tablet zette leverde me tot 2 keer toe de .....acor loop op en dat is niet echt prettig.

Nog 1 vraagje. Je zegt zelf over te stappen op de froyo versie. Is dat voor de rest van de archos gebruikers ook het beste, maw is de froyo verasie beter, sneller stabieler, minder accuvretend etc etc, of is het gewoon leuk om weer eens wat anders te gebruiken?

Groet Frenzl

I will reply in english as this is an english forum. Please stick to english in your subsequent posts.

The battery lifetime in my case is very good. I have just used my tablet for 4-5 hours for ereading outside in the sun, so with the clairity set to 100%. It's more than for 75% full. I used it daily at my work as internet radio using tune-in. After 6-8 hours it is always more than 50% filled and mostly 70% or more.
What kind of of applications are you using? Note that many widgets keep the tablet, and more importantly: your network card (wifi), working continuously thereby draining the battery faster.

At this moment Froyo is slower and less stable. We are working on that. I don't do measurements but for daily use I don't see a difference in battery life between eclair and froyo. It's the widgets that drain the battery.
If you want the best stability and performance, you should stick to eclair. If you don't mind an occasional reboot/crash and want to use the improved functionality of Froyo, switch to Froyo. As mentioned in other posts (and a few lines above) I use my tablet mostly as ereader and also with Froyo it's very stable, be it slightly slower.

You have multiple rom options here, both from myself or from Birdiebnl. Our goals are slightly different and this gives the end user to pick a rom that suits him/her best.

Hi hvdwolf,

Excuses for my first dutch questions, though I read a lot of the postings here it somehow didn't register to my brains this was a english forum.
Regarding the battery issue, I am using battery booster now(free download from apslib) and this improves battery up=-time quite dramatically. Now running for 2 days of regular use (e-reader and games) and still 30% left.
Also installed memory booster (trial version) which improved performance quite well.
When it stays running like this, I think i stick to the eclair version.
Only thing is the wifi connectivity, which might be more stale, any suggestions?

Greetz Frenzl

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:17 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hvdwolf

Ik heb eerder een Rom van jou geinstalleerd gehad. en daar stond een app genaamd Shelves op.

deze was instaat om PDFs brilliant te weergeven maar ik kan hem nergens online vinden.

heb je hier een APK van?

ps: Great work met je roms!

I'm sorry.. i read your post and will translate this also.

In the past i had a custom rom of yours installed and it came with a reader called; Shelves.

It was great for showing PDF files and reading them. but i cant find any APK on the internet.

Do you still have it?

Thanks in Advance.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:35 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Jackxl wrote:
In the past i had a custom rom of yours installed and it came with a reader called; Shelves.

It was great for showing PDF files and reading them. but i cant find any APK on the internet.

Do you still have it?

Can you remember which rom that was? I tried the last 5 but it's faster if you can tell me which one it was and was it a froyo rom?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hvdwolf wrote:
Jackxl wrote:

Do you still have it?

Can you remember which rom that was? I tried the last 5 but it's faster if you can tell me which one it was and was it a froyo rom?

nope i dont know wich one anymore.. i bought the tablet second hand with your rom on it.

but i remember there was the HVDW sign on the bottom right during the boot.. so i guessed it was yours.

Maybe Birdie ( or any1 else ) knows more about the Shelves App im looking for.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:34 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Jackxl wrote:
hvdwolf wrote:
Jackxl wrote:

Do you still have it?

nope i dont know wich one anymore.. i bought the tablet second hand with your rom on it.

but i remember there was the HVDW sign on the bottom right during the boot.. so i guessed it was yours.

Maybe Birdie ( or any1 else ) knows more about the Shelves App im looking for.

I was looking in the wrong direction as I didn't think well enough. The Shelves application is called RKEBookReader.apk. It is still in the full roms like 08-full and 09-full and now (temporarily) here

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:19 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks a lot!

but unfortunately, i can not start the app after installing it. i get the message;

Quote:
Helaas!
De toepassing E-bookReader is onverwachts gestopt. probeer het opnieuw

tried it a lot of times and also with a few reboots.

guess i have to look for a alternative.. any1 who can recommend me a good PDF reader?

Thanks a lot anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello hvdwolf,

i am a new Archos 7HT user, i found the original rom very slow and installed your costum rom which i am very happy with.
I have installed app link2sd so i can move my apps to the sd card and get some free memory so the tablet will work quicker (i hope), i have made a second partition on the sd-card but i keep getting the message " no second partition found", do you have any suggestions?

Pigeon
Zoetermeer,nl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:11 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

pigeon wrote:
I have installed app link2sd so i can move my apps to the sd card and get some free memory so the tablet will work quicker (i hope), i have made a second partition on the sd-card but i keep getting the message " no second partition found", do you have any suggestions?

Sorry to say, but the link2sd is completely useless on a 7HTv2. This app is made because most phones, especially the older ones, have very little data storage. In that case it's handy to expand to an sd-card partition. The A7HTV2, in the standard Archos roms and all other custom roms, has 500MB data space, so plenty of space.

I'm not sure about the SD-card but considered the previous statement it's best to put the programs back onto the A7HTV2 and recover your data space on the sd-card.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:45 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Just wanted to give this thread a bump and say that I've been using this rom the past few days after using a couple different versions of 2.2 and its performing LOADS better than those ones were.

For instance, when i was listening to music on the froyo rom, the audio would often skip several times at the beginning of the track, as well as if/when the screen shuts off or the slider is locked. it also skipped like mad any time i tried to multitask and pull up another app while playing the music, or sometimes when i was doing nothing at all. I also notice that a couple games that the tablet could barely run, at really low FPS, now run significantly smoother. I love how when i use a advanced task manager to kill apps, they actually stay dead instead of rising like zombies an dloading themselves into memory again. Even if i set the tablet down for an hour and come back to it and check the list of running apps, its still zero! :D I also reallly really like now no special loader (or whatever its called) was used in this rom because they seem to really bog things down and effect stability, and theres no need for it IMO since the homescreen layout/grid is more than sufficient as it is.

However, i have had some weird problems with this rom that i didnt have even in the other roms. I've got a few random app crashes with apps that have always ran fine. For isntance Dolphin crashed a couple times, and ESFileExplorer simply wont work at all, crashes every time i tries to launch, but thats ok cause ive switched to this app File Expert or sometign similar and it works great. Also, i had a hard time getting Market to download anything. I tried the whole clearing the data/cache of the google framework service or whatever, but couldnt find it on the list. so i went down the list and cleared the cache and stuff for anything that had Google in the name and then it started working. and i guess there was a couple times when the text i was inputting didnt appear as i was typing it, like i would type a message in AndChat and the text box would stay blank but when i hit enter i could see my text displayed in teh IRC channel, or i would type something and hit backspace to erase it and it wouldnt erase but if i hit enter nothing would appear. ... just a few weird problems here and there.

But i used the tablet heavily yesterday/lastnight and had no problems at all, everything ran so great, and things just felt way more quick and responsive than i ever remember it being before. Like the keyboard typed even quicker and more accurately. And its SO nice not having that stupid slide unlock screen that the 2.2 roms have, so that when im driving in the car and want to skip a song i just have to touch the screen to wake it up, instead of touch the screen and the have to look at it to find the ccircle and drag it and blah blah, it was a stupid "feature". I had to give up using a couple apps that only worked on 2.2 (like Feedly... but i've been using gReader pro and it works well enough) and the better compatibility with wireless gateway authentication stuff, but its totally worth it.

hvdwolf, please continue to make nice, lightweight roms like this. Im so sick of ppl making them with a ton of bundled, unremoveable apps and unnecessary GUI changes that make everything run slow. even birdie's "lean and mean" light version of his 2.1 rom doesnt run as fast as this on, cause of the ADW loader or whatever its called. I think ~90% of ppl looking for a custom A7 rom are only doing so for market and root access, and thats all that really needs to be included, with all the unnecessary fat trimmed =D> =D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I may be being a little silly on this... but is there an easy way of checking what version of ROM that I have installed at the moment, as when I first got my Archos 7HTv2 tablet I tried several versions to get to the nice and stable (and fast) version that I have at the moment. I know that it is a HvdWolf one, as it says so when I start up (it is the version with the modified startup graphic that crosses out Your and says My).

The reason for asking is that I am trying to run the Plex client, and it crashes when trying to view videos, and looking at the log it looks like it is looking for the file libsurfaceflinger_client.so in /system/lib

Is there a way of getting this file in that folder? I had a look around and I couldn't find a how-to on copying files into the system folders :(

Any help would be appreciated, as this app is amazing, and I would love to be able to use it for streaming my movies to my A7, it would complete it's functionality that I bought it for!! :D

Thanks for any help that anyone might be able to give

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Originally posted on main board but this seems more appropriate

Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:57 pm Bit Of A Mess - Need Help Please

Hi - bought a 7HTv2 some time ago and wanted the Android market. I DLd something from here and installed it on the tablet - all OK so far. Just recently, when I hit the home button it goes the usual orangey colour but nothing happens - I have to use the back arrow numerous times to get to the home page. Now when I try to install apps from the Android market I get a message that says my A70BHT is incompatible.
Device details are as follows (from the settings page):

Model #: A70BHT
Android v: 2.2.1
Baseband v: Unknown
Kernel v: 2.6.25 Root@Cong-Desktop#872
Build #: Froyo 1.00
Master.Eng,Temp. 20110225.134212

Can anyone sort me out please - thanks, Kev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:03 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

tassiekev wrote:
Hi - bought a 7HTv2 some time ago and wanted the Android market. I DLd something from here and installed it on the tablet - all OK so far. Just recently, when I hit the home button it goes the usual orangey colour but nothing happens - I have to use the back arrow numerous times to get to the home page. Now when I try to install apps from the Android market I get a message that says my A70BHT is incompatible.
Device details are as follows (from the settings page):

Model #: A70BHT
Android v: 2.2.1
Baseband v: Unknown
Kernel v: 2.6.25 Root@Cong-Desktop#872
Build #: Froyo 1.00
Master.Eng,Temp. 20110225.134212

Obviously you downloaded a Froyo (Android 2.2.x) rom. Both Froyo roms from this forum (Birdiebnl's and mine) do work with the market but both need "the market" fix which has been described a couple of time on this forum (see below), but also on many other forums as it is a common issue in Froyo.
The thread you are now in is an eclair (Android 2.1.x) rom.
Both 2.1 roms from this board (again from Birdiebnl and my rom) don't need the market fix and work directly with the market.

But please tell which rom you downloaded as this error message is unknown to me.

Quote:
1) start the market and wait everything is synched. (wait for the synch icon to disappear in status bar)
2) go to settings->applications
3) Clear the cache of the Market. (Not the data!)
4) Clear the data of the Google Framework Services
5) reboot and go to Market, it should now work fully

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:24 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Step 4 clear the google framework data
can you explain where to find that please

seems your .16 update solves most issues with this device finally got skype lite (text only ) working no voice calls but ... tried a 2.2 but was disappointed with app problems

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:24 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

bknight wrote:
Step 4 clear the google framework data
can you explain where to find that please

seems your .16 update solves most issues with this device finally got skype lite (text only ) working no voice calls but ... tried a 2.2 but was disappointed with app problems

Can you show as the link to the working skype app.

10x

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:59 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Not sure where i found it but. Google. Skypelite.apk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:30 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ok skype is not needed anymore. I'm using imo.im.

To hvdwolf:
Where is the normal/fullscreen switch in ROM 2011.16??

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:49 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Zubcho wrote:
Where is the normal/fullscreen switch in ROM 2011.16??

There is no switch as such. It's a script that is part of gscript. See the wiki.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:50 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

To all who use the last rom 2011.16:

Pls tell me how long your battery lasts? I think mine is draining too fast. Brightnes set to 0, no wifi, no nothing. Every app that i dont need is killed and i'm just using FBReader downloaded from the market, to read a book. With the original rom the battery lasts longer. :( My device is bought at 02.07.2011 and it is 2 weeks old. I'm using it mainly for book reading and sometimes browsing.

10x in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:03 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi hvdwolf,

First of all (that's my first post here :) ) - thanks a million for your work. Really appreciated!

I've downloaded your latest rom (Version 2011.16 22 April 2011) and I've been using it for approx 10 days.
I'm quite happy with it, but I would like to provide some feedback for future improvements:

1. Market crashes without any reason. Yesterday it allowed me to install apps, today it says 'error during download'. Uninstalling market update helps, I can download apps, but it crashed during installation. The only solution: back to factory settings.

2. There is sth wrong with power management:
a) if I lock the device with the power button (slide right), the screen turns black, but after approx two minutes its on again; i have to use 'suspend' to really sleep it
b) it occured only twice, but after locking the device it was dead: no response at all; I had to use a needle and a reset button to make it alive again.

All these issues are quite intermittent: I can't reproduce it 'on demand' and I'm surprised when it happens.

Regards,
Jan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:23 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

ju79 wrote:
1. Market crashes without any reason. Yesterday it allowed me to install apps, today it says 'error during download'. Uninstalling market update helps, I can download apps, but it crashed during installation. The only solution: back to factory settings.

I never encountered this error. Did you already download many apps? In other words: can it be something in the total amount of apps already installed, or a corrupt cache of the market (settings->Appplications)

ju79 wrote:
2. There is sth wrong with power management:
a) if I lock the device with the power button (slide right), the screen turns black, but after approx two minutes its on again; i have to use 'suspend' to really sleep it
b) it occured only twice, but after locking the device it was dead: no response at all; I had to use a needle and a reset button to make it alive again.

Did you install widgets on your "desktop"? Some widgets are known for draining the CPU as some of them very regularly use the wlan and very regularly wake up the device to get info from the internet. If the widget does that and doesn't "listen" to the system state the tablet is in, it will keep your tablet awake.
Please check that first.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous 112 13 14 15 16 Next