Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:57 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 1416 Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

All aplications, always in "installing" moment

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:16 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I'm sorry but I really can't help you currently.
This rom should prevent this kind of download locking by generating a new market id at random at first startup. It's very unlikely but it could be that an ID has been generated equal to someone elses id "on this planet".
I can only advice to reflash and try again.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for reply hdwolf. Market works perfect for me only in ver 2011.10.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:37 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I tried this and is great work indeed. Congratulations.

Froyo also rocks compared to Eclair.

Two things,

1) I havent been able to remount the /system filesystem rw nor with Root Explorer, commandline or ADB. Somebody said on the Internet something about using a boot.img with "ro secure = 0".

2) Is my personal opinion the actual image comes loaded with too many apps which makes the tablet slow. I would say a less crowded image would suit a better tablet and from there anybody should just install what they would like.

Thanks and congrats.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:05 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

archix wrote:
I tried this and is great work indeed. Congratulations.

Froyo also rocks compared to Eclair.

Two things,

1) I havent been able to remount the /system filesystem rw nor with Root Explorer, commandline or ADB. Somebody said on the Internet something about using a boot.img with "ro secure = 0".

As in many tablets, the /system partition is a cramfs system partition, which means that it is a read-only partition. Some phones have ext2/ext3 partitions. They can be made read-wrtiable. Himself created a rom for the V1 (NOT for the v2) that does have an ext3 read-writable partition. I already worked quite long a derivations of that for the V2, but so far unsuccessful. By now I also question the necessesity of havin a read-writable /system. I have already tried an ext3 image but it becomes more than twice as big, also for the upgrade.img that needs to be on the tablet to reflash it to factory defaults.

archix wrote:
2) Is my personal opinion the actual image comes loaded with too many apps which makes the tablet slow. I would say a less crowded image would suit a better tablet and from there anybody should just install what they would like.

Yes and No.
First of all the google set of applications HAS to be part of the system rom on these tablets. They can only be installed as system applications. Which means that they either need a rw /system (as in 1), or they need to be added beforehand inside the rom.
Next to that a couple of applications are delivered by Rockchip (for these tablets) and/or by Archos. There is no use in stripping the tablet.

Secondly: The amount of applications doesn't make the tablet slow. The amount of aplications that get started automatically makes the tablet slow. Android sets an event after succesful boot/inititalization. Android checks the applications that "want to be triggered" by this event. It's those $%*@# :evil: programmers that want their applications started on tablet startup.

And there is a second event that can be used to restart an application that is no longer in memory. (After being killed for example as I don't want it to run.) This event is actually for system libraries and programs. Some !@%^)( :evil: programmers even use that second event to have their applications started again.

As you see I get a bit emotional about the programming habits of some programmers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for the answer. I do understand this is work in progress, and that this is well good work for the time. Usually no matter what, things keep getting better with time. I do also get emotional about the bad programming habits as I'm a programmer myself. Keep up the good work. Keep this as a suggestion though: While the Google System Apps and some other stuff are absolutely necessary, maybe things like the Antivirus, Maps, Latittude, Places if possible should be let up to the user to install should they want it.

Still, this is good work and thanks for everithing.

I'm happy as of now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hvdwolf wrote:

As in many tablets, the /system partition is a cramfs system partition, which means that it is a read-only partition. Some phones have ext2/ext3 partitions. They can be made read-wrtiable. Himself created a rom for the V1 (NOT for the v2) that does have an ext3 read-writable partition. I already worked quite long a derivations of that for the V2, but so far unsuccessful. By now I also question the necessesity of havin a read-writable /system. I have already tried an ext3 image but it becomes more than twice as big, also for the upgrade.img that needs to be on the tablet to reflash it to factory defaults.

There is a way around this, I use it in my ROM. You are right that you have to sacrifice 150MB of the NAND RAM to the ext3 partition, but there's no need to have a larger upgrade.img.

What I do is just have a cramfs /system and run a script from init.rk28board.rc
On first boot it creates an ext3 filesystem in the extra partition and copies the cramfs system to it.

After that or on any subsequent boot it just mounts the new /system over the old one, and the cramfs /system is never used again. It just takes up some space.

If you would like more info on this, just let me know.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:56 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Li0nHeart wrote:
What I do is just have a cramfs /system and run a script from init.rk28board.rc
On first boot it creates an ext3 filesystem in the extra partition and copies the cramfs system to it.

After that or on any subsequent boot it just mounts the new /system over the old one, and the cramfs /system is never used again. It just takes up some space.

If you would like more info on this, just let me know.

That's the exact same way Himself is doing it for his YAR roms. I have been working on that for some time but couldn't get it to work in this 2011.xy rom.
I tried the aufs.ko route in both the 2011.xy roms as well in the froyo 22.04 rom, but that's not the route to go as it isn't stable.

I was about to start experimenting with it again in the Froyo rom this weekend. I will first try to get it going.
Can you give me the link to your rom so I can check that one? If I'm not succesful I will gladly knock on your door.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:06 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

http://code.google.com/p/wopad-froyo/downloads/list

- I added a service in init.rk28board.rc (froyo_system)
- Added (or updated) /temp in boot.img
- changed HWDEF en parameter file to add the extra partition
- changed /system/etc/vold.fstab : block8 to block9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:59 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Li0nHeart wrote:
http://code.google.com/p/wopad-froyo/downloads/list

- I added a service in init.rk28board.rc (froyo_system)
- Added (or updated) /temp in boot.img
- changed HWDEF en parameter file to add the extra partition
- changed /system/etc/vold.fstab : block8 to block9

Thank you. I will have a look. 2,3,4 I did (or at least tried). I will have a look at the service. in my case it was done from a shell script by an init service that checked for "if first boot".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:04 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I built it in a froyo rom. I will continue in the Custom ROM for A7HTV2: Android 2.2 from this post.
Please check that one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,
i am new user of the archos and installed this Rom.
But i have a problem with standby time. After 8h the battery is at 50% without using the device.
I found that the wlan is not switch of after reach standby. I think that this will empty the
battery so fast. Is this a bug or is it normal to hold Wlan on during standby?
Thank for any information.
Best regards from germany
Bj├Ârn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Greetings. First, let me start by thanking everyone that has worked on these ROM's. I have really come to enjoy the newfound functionality. I've run into a problem, though, that I can't seem to figure out.

First, I tried out the 22.07 ROM, flashing as per the Archos norm. I then moved on to the 2011.12 ROM and this is where I'm running into problems. I don't seem to have access to either large partition (internal 8GB or SD 8GB). When I attach the device to the computer, I get both storage areas viewable on the PC, but nothing through the tablet. To compound the problem, in an attempt to try yet another ROM (either moving to another custom or reverting to Archos ROM), I am unable to get to the flash dialogue.

I didn't see anyone else in any of these threads with a similar problem. Of course, I could have just overlooked it. If someone would be kind enough to tell me where I'm going wrong, I would appreciate the help.

Thank you again for all the work.

Aaron

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:32 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

stlkr145 wrote:
First, I tried out the 22.07 ROM, flashing as per the Archos norm. I then moved on to the 2011.12 ROM and this is where I'm running into problems. I don't seem to have access to either large partition (internal 8GB or SD 8GB).
I don't have experiences with it myself, but this seems to be due to the r/w system partition in the 22.07 ROM. I've seen reports of users that they had to format the internal data storage to fix the problem, check this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

birdiebnl wrote:
I don't have experiences with it myself, but this seems to be due to the r/w system partition in the 22.07 ROM. I've seen reports of users that they had to format the internal data storage to fix the problem, check this thread.

Thank you for the quick response. That's actually the next ROM I was going to head to next :D

I followed the directions for unbricking and am able to see all partitions again.

I'm now experimenting with 21.02. If it's anything like the other two I've played with this morning, I'll be stoked.

Thanks again for all your work. I'll be on here helping as I can (which is mostly just breaking things... lol)

Aaron

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:20 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just wanted to thank hvdwolf, I Greatly Appreciate all your time and efforts at bringing us this custom rom :) ty ty ty and keep up the good work

IMO I think this is the best rom for 2.1. not had the chance to test it thoroughly yet (low battery) but from what I've done so far I'm pleased with.

Cant get Gmail to sync but thats not a problem as there are other means of checking emails anyway :)

Market worked fine and updated with no problems :)

All my favorite apps are working fine so far :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:43 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

thanks hvdwolf for the Version 2011.12, the google market works fine and gave a boost to my archos
just one remark, when starting the system it takes nearly two minutes to start up, with the Arrchosfirmware it was 45 sec,
is this normal ?

thanks for the great work you did for us hvdwolf !!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,

I installed the latest version and unfortunately, the sd card is not
any more more recognized.

It behaves as the SD is unmounted.

I tried with other microSD cards also, with the same result.

I connected my ARCHOS with a Laptop with Mint Linux System and with a Desktop
Windows system and I could access the content of the SD Cards.

Could you please help me ?

Kotzo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:37 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

kotzo wrote:
I installed the latest version and unfortunately, the sd card is not
any more more recognized.

Please take a look at thread SD problems and in particular to this post. I assume it's the same for you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

HI again,

I have no mnt folder.

I also have an empty sdcard folder.

The microSD is inserted.

Kotzo

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 1416 Next