Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:13 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:10 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Well, since a few days i've a Archos 7 HT V2.
Now i've a problem, it repeatedly displays a message "android.process.acore stopped unexpectedly".
Only thing i can do is force stop, but the message displays again.

I'm searching for the firmware of this device, so i can reinstall it. But on Archos.com nothing about this v2 device is found.

Somebody who knows a solution for this problem?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

From the home screen press the menu, Select Privacy, Restore to factory defaults. This will reset you device and you will lose your data, settings and later installed apps as it will return to factory defaults. It will take about 1-2 minutes. Make sure you have enough battery power or leave it on the power supply.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:20 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanks hvdwolf for your help, but the menu button doesn't work anymore. It becomes yellow when touching it, but doesn't show the menu. It looks like the home screen itself is crashing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:28 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Did you already try to just switch it off? Push the power slide on the top to the left and hold it. After a few seconds it will ask you a few options. Use the option to switch it off and wait till it has switched off.
Then slide the power switch again to the left and hold it a few seconds until your device switches on again. And hope and pray.

If the above doesn't work: On the back at the bottom of the device is a little small "reset" hole. Use a paperclip or other object to reset your Home tablet. It will do the same as the earlier mentioned reset option..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:46 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Already tried to power off (which i can manage just between the appearing of the messages), and also pushed the little reset button. Doesn't solve the problem. After starting and showing the home screen it immediately gives the message. After clicking force stop the home screen disappears en reappears, and the message again.

I've emailed Archos.com support, but till now no reply. Also emailed the store (pdashop.nl)where i buyed it, but they just send me the link of the A7HT firmware, and not the A7HT V2 firmware.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:48 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

birdiebnl wrote:
Already tried to power off (which i can manage just between the appearing of the messages), and also pushed the little reset button. Doesn't solve the problem.

Have you tried to hold down the reset button with a paperclip for more then 15 Seconds, just a short reset might not do the trick.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:02 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have the same problem with my Archos Home Tablet 8GB V2.
I tried all that I thought was possible but so far no usefull help above, does anyone knows how to fix this? I'd really preciate if someone can help me because the last two weeks that I have this android tablet I was only looking for help on forums instead of downloading apps and enjoying my tablet...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:23 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

And now I've this problem as well :-( Looks like a design flaw in the firmware!
I suspect an app that tried to put an icon on a full desktop which leads the desktop to crash...

What always should be possible is a combination of buttons (like holding down the on/off switch while pushing the reset button) that leads to a complete factory reset. Better loosing all data then looking at a bricked tablet going into loops. I'm still trying to find this magic combination :-( (My PalmPilot in the 1998 had already this trick to solve bad software problems!!)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:26 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

No luck either with pressing reset for more than 15 seconds. Also tried different "magical combinations" but didn't find anything.

Maybe it's better to send it back to the store. I've still a request for help standing out there, waiting for the reply. (And also waiting for a reply from archos)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:06 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Here the same problem. :(
Birdiebnl heb je al iets gehoord van archos of de pdashop?
Mijn archos komt daar ook vandaan en heb er dus ook maar een paar dagen van kunnen genieten en nu deze foutmelding.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:33 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Nothing heared yet, but the good news, i've my A7HT V2 working again, by installing the firmware again.
See the other thread how we've done it. http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=45114

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Guess what, my new Archos 7 HT V2 has the same problem.
It looks like it's bug. For 4 till 5 days it works, and suddenly it doesn't.

I'm glad that Birdiebnl managed to flash his and his one works again!

I'm planning to do the same.

Birdiebnl does your Archos works as before? Please let us know.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:35 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

My Archos 7 HT V2 works like before. Let's see how long it will last... For now, I'm very happy...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The first part I can get:
While your V7 is on hook up your usb cable en you'll see an "archos 7"-drive. It has a lot of subdirectories but nothing in the root. Simple copy the update.img to the root of the "archos 7"-drive and click the icon to safely remove the drive. As soon as you remove the cable you'll see (even on a semi-bricked V7 :-) ) that it found the update file. But if the file is incorrect it asks to remove it for you.
So the remaining question is: how do I get a correct update.img ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:59 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

After receiving a private mail from a user with problems too I decided to upload my image to multiupload.

You can find the image here.

You can copy the update.img to the root of your device. Upon reboot is should restore your A7HTV2 to it's original state.
Note: This is only for an Archos 7 Home Tablet Version 2.

Use it at your own risk.

Note: This is not an enhanced version or anything like it. It's the basic version as shipped with the Version 2. It's created on basis of the ongoing conversation in viewtopic.php?f=59&t=45114

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:30 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yes!!! It works very well again with the above upgrade.img Just put it on the internal 6GB drive in the root and after save decoupling of your USB connection it finds it immediately:-)
In between the pop-ups of the crashing loop you'll be able to tap and upgrade again. The rebooting and flashing takes a couple of minutes (especially the formatting) but then you'll end up with a factory resetted Archos 7 HT V2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:10 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you, thank you *bows at hvdwolf* It works! After trying everything I could think of, I was about to throw it out of the window(or better, through a window at archos') But finding this topic you saved my day.

Guys like you make a better world. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:03 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

A special thank you from my son Timon, as he had the same problem with the "process stopped unexpectedly" loop. With this image we could restore its system without a problem! Great work! =D> Is the real root cause already found?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:56 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I'm not sure, but it looks like it has something to do with the free space on /data/data.
I've reproduced the error a few times after installing a lot of apps with the appslib (in one run). The last time i saw it, appslib was caching all apk's and so consumes a lot of space on /data/data.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:25 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I just saw this with the new version of FW from Archos, so whatever they fixed or changed, it didn't impact this. I really wish they had put a changelog up.

While yes, I do build it better each time I run through this process, it will get annoying after a while!