Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:47 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

update from hk. i walked through most of the computer centers in hk n see no arnova 10 8gb in sight. most are selling the 4gb still with the capacitive screen. no merchant seem to be aware of the new update, or they just wont speak about it in the hopes of selling their current stock?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Has anyone been able to track down a part number or valid vendor the newer model?

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:23 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Revival wrote:
update from hk. i walked through most of the computer centers in hk n see no arnova 10 8gb in sight. most are selling the 4gb still with the capacitive screen. no merchant seem to be aware of the new update, or they just wont speak about it in the hopes of selling their current stock?

I bet it is a bit of both: some are not aware, and other won't speak about it in the hopes of selling their current stock. But why the delay? Archos may be having some problem getting the required quantity of parts, at the required prices. Looks like a worldwide May release is out of the cards...maybe June/July.

- Robert

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:14 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm getting frustrated with the wait time. I may just end up purchasing a tablet from a different compnany - this is getting ridiculous - first April release, then May and now you are saying not til June or July? Enough already...

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'll try to find an Archos representative at the upcoming Computex trade show in Taipei, I'll be there from May 30th to June 4th, I'll try to have them confirm exactly when the Arnova with RK2918 and capacitive will be globally available. A bit more than a month ago, while I was making videos in Shenzhen and Hong Kong, the Archos representatives told me the Arnova RK2918 capacitive would start selling end of May and the Archos 7c Home Tablet also RK2918 capacitive would start selling in June, Another thing to guess about is Archos managing production capacity. Just one week ago, Archos got a $40 Million investment on the French stock market. That I think they will mostly use to ramp up mass manufacturing of both Gen9 and the newest best Arnova products. Thus Archos plans I think to provide as many as possible to the stores, as they know they can sell everything that they can produce, so they are perhaps just trying to avoid having to tell their retail partners that they are out of stock all the time.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:36 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Charbax - thank you for the update. I will give it a liitle more time - I also have been getting friends excited about the product so they too are ready to buy!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:06 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I am also anxious about these tablets. I managed to drop my 101 and now it works, but it sort of works. Just not quite right. I have been holding off on getting a different rk2918 based tab because these look just as good and I have been happy with the stream of updates archos has done with my 101. However if they won't release for another month I may as well get the other tab since it is just a stop gap until the gen9 comes out anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:28 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I would love to get this tablet. As there been any update on release yet?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

the sound of crickets is deafening and there's vapor in the air :lol:
I hope these get released soon and without any price hikes though or I'll probably end up with some chinese tablet.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:33 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

mancaveman wrote:
I hope these get released soon and without any price hikes though or I'll probably end up with some chinese tablet.

My guess is that Arnova & Archos re-shifted their priorities to get the new Arnova 7 and Arnova 8.4 out the door, and are holding out on giving info on all of the the new CPU models for their June 23rd unveiling.

It now seems likely that many of these new tablets will get Android Honeycomb, and maybe the official Google Market. This delay may be a good thing.

- Robert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

bob1230 wrote:
mancaveman wrote:

My guess is that Arnova & Archos re-shifted their priorities to get the new Arnova 7 and Arnova 8.4 out the door, and are holding out on giving info on all of the the new CPU models for their June 23rd unveiling.

It now seems likely that many of these new tablets will get Android Honeycomb, and maybe the official Google Market. This delay may be a good thing.

- Robert

Here's to hoping.
Guess I'll just put off buying a tablet til July.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:41 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

What does it mean when they say the unveiling is June 23? Is that the release date for the tabs or does that mean they are just going to reveal information about the new tabs on that date?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:51 am 

The 23rd is the informational announcement of the Gen9 devices. Nobody knows exactly how much information we'll get, but we should get a release date (or a timeline at least) for the new devices. Don't expect to actually see new devices in stores this month.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:55 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Gen 8 or Gen 9 or both? Should we just give up and buy from another company? I really wanted to buy the new Arnova but the extended wait time is killing me...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:24 am 
Archos User
Archos User

lacowgrl62 wrote:
Gen 8 or Gen 9 or both? Should we just give up and buy from another company? I really wanted to buy the new Arnova but the extended wait time is killing me...

You only need to wait two weeks. At that point they will tell us all about new hardware, software, and will likely give approximate release dates.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:42 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

bob1230 wrote:
lacowgrl62 wrote:

You only need to wait two weeks. At that point they will tell us all about new hardware, software, and will likely give approximate release dates.

Look, the Arnova 10b, Archos 7c and may be some others will be available soon. You can even pre-order them on some French websites now... They can be in stock al ready tomorrow, or the day after tomorrow. The Gen9, which will be announced on June 23th is something different and don't expect it to be in stores this month.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:08 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

exelletor wrote:
Look, the Arnova 10b, Archos 7c and may be some others will be available soon. You can even pre-order them on some French websites now... They can be in stock al ready tomorrow, or the day after tomorrow. The Gen9, which will be announced on June 23th is something different and don't expect it to be in stores this month.

Arnova 10B? I had not heard that name before today. No English-language website has any info on its existence.

I don't speak French, but I looked up info on the Arnova 10B on French websites, and found some that described it as having Android 2.1 Eclair, or 2.2 FroYo, which was a disappointment. I hope that this is a mistake. It would be a grave errror for Arnova to release new tablets with anything less than Android 2.3 (Gingerbread.)

- Robert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:43 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

So where's the RK2918 based Arnova 8? Seems like they're not exactly running on schedule :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:53 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

geoxile wrote:
So where's the RK2918 based Arnova 8? Seems like they're not exactly running on schedule :(

Yes, that is the one that I might like to buy, as long has it has the capacitive screen and Gingerbread.

Actually, even better would be a RK2918 based Arnova 7 (again, with capacitive screen and Gingerbread.)

I think that the 7" screen size is the ideal form for using a portable tablet. Small enough to easily take anywhere, large enough to comfortably view webpages, read books, and even do some light work on Office documents (e.g. word processor files.)

For use mostly at home or work a 10" to 12" tablet is ideal, but for a lot of travel, the 7" size is better.

- Robert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

geoxile wrote:

I see four possible explanations for the delay:

1. They prefer to unveil new capacitive rk2918 Arnovas at same June 23 event to make a bigger splash

2. They may want to use more of those $43 Million investment that they got last month on ramping up mass manufacturing of Arnova capacitive rk2918 line so that once they launch them, all the stores have enough units in stock so they don't just keep getting out of stock instantly.

3. Rockchip may be very close to finalize Honeycomb support on rk2918, which thus may be another good reason to delay release, having the possibility to launch it as a $199 Honeycomb 10" tablet, or $149 7" Honeycomb tablet, and having them perform impressively with Honeycomb and the official Google Marketplace, that would be pure awesome.

4. Archos has a bunch of resistive rk2818 Arnovas that they first want to sell before hyping the so obviously better capacitive rk2918 serie, which is supposed to not cost much more than current resistive rk2818 Eclair/froyo devices, to be 4x more powerful at nearly the same price.