Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:17 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

post wrote:
Sorry if this should be posted somewhere else.

But, I am getting ready to buy my first tablet and I can't decide if I should get an Archos 101 or wait for the Arnova 10.
I probably won't be upgrading to a newer tablet for atleast 2 years. So out of Archos 101 and Arnova 10 which do you guys think would have more longevity?

You cant really compare them properly yet - need to see a bit more of the specs. But a 10 in tablet with the arnova specs is tremendous value at 230 US. To be honest, it (and every other current tablet) will be history in two years. Thats why I figure it's a huge waste to pay so much for the Xooms and Tabs of now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:04 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

they have the arnova resistive touch at tigerdirect for $169
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=7297803&sku=A685-0200
offer ends 4/30
use coupon code DOE27322 for $30 off.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

rooted wrote:
post wrote:
Sorry if this should be posted somewhere else.

But, I am getting ready to buy my first tablet and I can't decide if I should get an Archos 101 or wait for the Arnova 10.
I probably won't be upgrading to a newer tablet for atleast 2 years. So out of Archos 101 and Arnova 10 which do you guys think would have more longevity?

You cant really compare them properly yet - need to see a bit more of the specs. But a 10 in tablet with the arnova specs is tremendous value at 230 US. To be honest, it (and every other current tablet) will be history in two years. Thats why I figure it's a huge waste to pay so much for the Xooms and Tabs of now.

That is true. I know any tablet I buy today will be out of date in 6 months. The tablet industry seems to be moving vary fast. I guess I just don't want to regret purchasing either the 101 or Arnova by the end of the year. I am operating on a limited budget of about $300 and it seems either tablet is a good buy for their price tag and current specs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

post wrote:
I am operating on a limited budget of about $300

I suggest you wait another couple of weeks to see the news from Google I/O and what will follow. I expect Google to open Honeycomb, maybe even announce Honeycomb support on OMAP3630 of Gen8 and Rockchip Rk2918 of Arnova, and then wait for confirmations from Archos and Rockchip which of these for sure will get Honeycomb firmware update.

Rockchip Rk2808 and RK2818 devices had limited software updates from Rockchip and Archos, although their foundation was probably the most stable among cheap Android tablet platforms. But perhaps Rockchip plans to provide much more of software updates now with RK2918, so Gingerbread and Honeycomb may actually come sooner to Arnova than Gen8 tablets, to be confirmed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:03 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Quote:
I expect Google to open Honeycomb
I hope so
Quote:
maybe even announce Honeycomb support on OMAP3630 of Gen8 and Rockchip Rk2918 of Arnova, and then wait for confirmations from Archos and Rockchip which of these for sure will get Honeycomb firmware updat
I doubt this will be happening, at least for the Gen 8s
Quote:
Gingerbread and Honeycomb may actually come sooner to Arnova than Gen8 tablets
Honeycomb maybe for Arnova, I'm hope we get Gingerbread for the Gen 8s as I don't see Honeycomb heading our way.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

So is the Arnova being release in May or is it being officially announced in May and will come out sometime in the summer?

I am getting really antsy to have a tablet!

thanks for all the replies.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

post wrote:
So is the Arnova being release in May or is it being officially announced in May and will come out sometime in the summer?

May, worldwide.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Charbax wrote:
post wrote:

May, worldwide.

This made my day.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

soo....Arnova's should we launched any day eh ?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:27 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
post wrote:

May, worldwide.

Does that mean May worldwide release or May worldwide announcement?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:04 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

My understanding is that they are going to be RELEASED in May - my question: when in May? The beginning, middle or end? My second question is where will I be able to purchase it?

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:03 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

post wrote:
soo....Arnova's should we launched any day eh ?
...probably like the A43, only sporadically available even to this day some 6m post launch... although it seems that the A101 and A70 are in the same boat while Sears at least seems to have boatloads of A32s... never bothered to check on A28s since they're pretty much useless w/half the RAM(not that 256M is much better) & no bluetooth...

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I just pre-ordered my new 10.1" Arnova 4GB for $181.00 US, shipping included..... They weren't yet able to provide any exact shipping date, but I called them, and they called the distributor. The distributor advised it would be shipping out as early as end of this week, or as late as mid week next week.

not a plug for this site or anything, but I pre-ordered it from www.bhphotovideo.com

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

pdomansky wrote:
I just pre-ordered my new 10.1" Arnova 4GB for $181.00 US, shipping included..... They weren't yet able to provide any exact shipping date, but I called them, and they called the distributor. The distributor advised it would be shipping out as early as end of this week, or as late as mid week next week.

not a plug for this site or anything, but I pre-ordered it from http://www.bhphotovideo.com

YOU DO REALIZE THAT YOU "PRE-ORDERED" THE ALREADY EXISTING 10.1 ARNOVA TABLET THAT DOES NOT HAVE CAPACITATIVE TOUCH AND IS RUNNING OFF THE OLD ANDROID 2.1 SYSTEM (YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO GET FLASH, ETC).....

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

okay now i'll have to LOL :p but there IS flash on the 1st generation of arnova:p can be found on arctablet.com

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:44 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

djbenson wrote:
okay now i'll have to LOL :p but there IS flash on the 1st generation of arnova:p can be found on arctablet.com

Then it is my mistake about Flash - the guys at HH Gregg said it had to be running 2.2 or higher to get Flash to run

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:02 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just to clarify - I checked with the site before I Pre-Ordered. It is not the existing Arnova Tablet, it is the new version that has not yet shipped. I confirmed with the salesperson that it is in fact the new model with the capacitive screen and the RK29 chipset. The salesperson advised they weren't able to get exact specs as it has not yet been released to the public. Anyway... guess we will find out.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

pdomansky wrote:
Just to clarify - I checked with the site before I Pre-Ordered. It is not the existing Arnova Tablet, it is the new version that has not yet shipped. I confirmed with the salesperson that it is in fact the new model with the capacitive screen and the RK29 chipset. The salesperson advised they weren't able to get exact specs as it has not yet been released to the public. Anyway... guess we will find out.

If it is the new version they need to change the spec page to say capacitive, rk2918 1.2Ghz, 1080p video playback and Android 2.3, because the new Arnova comes with 2.3 pre-installed for sure.

I would not recommend anyone ordering an Arnova that says 2.1, 720p and does not specify the processor or touch screen type.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:39 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Charbax wrote:
pdomansky wrote:

If it is the new version they need to change the spec page to say capacitive, rk2918 1.2Ghz, 1080p video playback and Android 2.3, because the new Arnova comes with 2.3 pre-installed for sure.

I would not recommend anyone ordering an Arnova that says 2.1, 720p and does not specify the processor or touch screen type.

Charbax - any update on the release date?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

lacowgrl62 wrote:
Charbax wrote:
pdomansky wrote:

Charbax - any update on the release date?

Should be May, that's what they said.