Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 3:02 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Watch the video at http://archosfans.com/2011/04/14/arnova ... ed-in-may/

HereÔÇÖs the Arnova 10 with capacitive touch screen and the RK2918 ARM Cortex-A8 processor. At around $229 MSRP it could possibly become one of the best value 10.1ÔÇ│ ARM Cortex-A8 capacitive tablets on the market. ItÔÇÖs thin, uses most of the nice design features of the Archos 101 Internet Tablet released in October 2010, but removes the kick-stand (to lower cost), replaces some of the metallic design features with plastics (to lower cost), removes HDMI output (I need to let them confirm this, perhaps that was just removed on the prototype). This device uses the new 1.2Ghz Rockchip processor, with 1080p video codecs support (possibly all codecs at up to over 30mbitps high profile playback), new better graphics performance, but most importantly, this awesome 10.1ÔÇ│ tablet may be sold around $229/229Ôé¼ at retail MSRP (with capacitive and rk2918), and there is a good chance Rockchip should be getting access to the Honeycomb source code soon (comon Google, give it to them sooner rather than later! (I have no idea if Rockchip has Honeycomb yet or not, I will try to interview Rockchip again about Honeycomb at China Sourcing Fair tomorrow)).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:46 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Is it likely to get Honeycomb?

It looks like a great tablet for the money - I'd consider getting it, but was rather hoping that there would be a competitive Gen9 7 or 10 inch available.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:50 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

This software has the on-screen buttons in the notifications bar!

I have to believe that we will get this (in Android 2.3) in the 70 and 101.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:53 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

How much memory ?

Ram ? App space ? internal storage ?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

SWDT wrote:
was rather hoping that there would be a competitive Gen9 7 or 10 inch available.

Not yet, they'll announce and show Gen9 at an event in June, for now the Arnova and new Home Tablets are being released to upgrade the lowest cost.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:58 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Please post more specs. I'm mostly interested in knowing how much RAM it has.
Makes me want to sell my 70. The Arnova sounds like it has a better screen and better CPU (I'm guessing more RAM too if it's advertising 1080p video), and it's cheaper.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:06 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

elmerohueso wrote:
better CPU

It's a faster clock rate CPU, not necessarily better.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:48 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

MarcusMarcus wrote:
elmerohueso wrote:
better CPU

Faster and can handle 1080p video...I would call that better.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:59 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

elmerohueso wrote:
MarcusMarcus wrote:
elmerohueso wrote:
better CPU

Not necessarily. It has better GPU does not mean truly faster CPU

Also the thought of even cheaper build quality boggles my mind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:53 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

gottahavit wrote:
elmerohueso wrote:
MarcusMarcus wrote:

Not necessarily. It has better GPU does not mean truly faster CPU

OK guys. I say po-tay-to you say po-tah-to. I really don't care about delving into the "is the CPU really better" debate.
I'm just saying that it looks like it has some capabilities (1080p video, Gingerbread, better viewing angles, etc.) that the current Archos gen8 doesn't have, so I want to more about the specs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Too bad for the price. Even if it only 29$, the less than 200$ was a lot more tempting.

And any news on the Arnova 8 with RK2918?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:15 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

choices, choices. But I'd rather wait for Gen 9.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:24 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I also would like to know .. what about Arnova 8? Is it going to be released at the same time with the updates? Anyone know? (Charbax??) :?:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:55 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

This sounds like exactly the tablet I am looking for...but will it have a 3D (three axis) accelerometer?

If I spend $220 on a tablet, then I'd like it do more than productivity apps - I'd like the tablet to be able to play some games as well. An accelerometer seems to be a necessity nowadays for many games.

The current Arnova 10" is underpowered on the CPU, and medium power games like "Angry Birds" do not play well on it. With the RK2918, do you think it will have enough power to play modern Android games?

Also: Do any of the current - or upcoming - Archos tablets have GPS available?

If not, is their a way to get a similar function with Wi Fi access and software/apps?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

bob1230 wrote:
The current Arnova 10" is underpowered on the CPU, and medium power games like "Angry Birds" do not play well on it. With the RK2918, do you think it will have enough power to play modern Android games?

Yes, I show Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja on my latest Rockchip RK2918 videos http://armdevices.net/category/chip-provider/rockchip/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:08 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

bob1230 wrote:
This sounds like exactly the tablet I am looking for...but will it have a 3D (three axis) accelerometer?

If I spend $220 on a tablet, then I'd like it do more than productivity apps - I'd like the tablet to be able to play some games as well. An accelerometer seems to be a necessity nowadays for many games.

The current Arnova 10" is underpowered on the CPU, and medium power games like "Angry Birds" do not play well on it. [i]With the RK2918, do you think it will have enough power to play modern Android games?

Yes, it will have Accelerometer. 1.2GHZ processor will be powerfull enough for games like Angry Birds, NFS:Shift, Raging Thunder and all others which we are playing on the Gen8.

Quote:

If not, is their a way to get a similar function with Wi Fi access and software/apps?

Archos 5IT has GPS. You won't get GPS functions with only Wi-Fi, but Google Maps etc find my position quite percisely when I am on Wi-fi. Gen9 will possibly get GPS, but Gen9 will only come out in September.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:36 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

exelletor wrote:
Yes, it will have Accelerometer. 1.2GHZ processor will be powerfull enough for games like Angry Birds, NFS:Shift, Raging Thunder and all others which we are playing on the Gen8.

Wow, this is really great news. I'd like a tablet to be a portable media player, device I can use for light work productivity, but I also want to play a few games. So this is nice to hear.

Quote:
Archos 5IT has GPS.
You won't get GPS functions with only Wi-Fi, but Google Maps etc find my position quite percisely when I am on Wi-fi.
Gen9 will possibly get GPS, but Gen9 will only come out in September.

You know, this is good enough! When I go on a trip, I do not need to look at a GPS all the time. I just want to pull into a Wi-Fi hotspot, find out where I am with Google Maps, and plot a course to where I need to go. That's workable.

I've never owned a tablet before, so I don't know how GoogleMaps would work with it. Does GoogleMaps have to be used through a web-browser...or is there an app that lets you find a route and map, and then save it to our tablet?

That way, once I drive away from the Wi-Fi spot, I would still have the map and route saved on my tablet.

- Robert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:31 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Probably suited for a different thread, but the newest Google Maps app for Android does caching for offline use. Basically, while you're online you'll want to view your route (zoom in and trace the route), then it caches the map tiles you viewed and you can view them online. Also, the cached tiles don't have any location/address info, so even if you have a tile cached that matches are specific address, you won't be able to search for that address while you're offline. However, you can star locations (as in favorite locations) and view those offline as the stars are mapped to tiles rather than just addresses.
There are a lot of other applications that load entire maps (including location/address data) for offline use too. Check out market.google.com and check out the map apps there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:03 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Sorry if this should be posted somewhere else.

But, I am getting ready to buy my first tablet and I can't decide if I should get an Archos 101 or wait for the Arnova 10.
I probably won't be upgrading to a newer tablet for atleast 2 years. So out of Archos 101 and Arnova 10 which do you guys think would have more longevity?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

bob1230 wrote:

Well, my employer issues all of us cell phones. These cheapy little phones have bluetooth and basic GPS capability. I use it with my 101 all the time. It updates really slowly, but it's still functional with maps and everything. There are also bluetooth GPS units built specifically for the task.