Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:48 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Plants vs. Zombies
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:52 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Today (31 May 2011) only Amazon has Plants vs. Zombies for free. I got it and it installed (75 mb) and when I launched it, took a couple of tries, you have to input your name only problem was that the keyboard never showed up. So what I did:

1) Open an app that allows for text input, (Web browser, note app, etc.)
2) Typed out my name
3) Copied it
4) Pasted it into the game.

Just thought that I would share this everyone so that they could enjoy this highly reviewed, and anticipated game.

Here's a Link to the app.

Post subject: Re: Plants vs. Zombies
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:30 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

That's cool but mine isn't even running on my archos 101. I uninstalled it and will try downloading it again.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:37 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Nope...mine isn't working. It loads the screen then cuts out to the Archos main menu. Anyone else having trouble too?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Same problem here.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:21 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

same here, starts to load, then crashes back to main screen, tried installing it twice on Archos 101

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:49 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Same issue here with A70. Sometimes the progress bar (unfolding grass) at the load screen moves about half way and crashes, and other times it crashes as soon as the load screen comes up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:57 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I just emailed Amazon. Will post whatever is their response.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:11 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

It installed and launched OK for me, I did have the issue where the keyboard was not showing to type in a name but backing out of the game and going back in fixed this for me. I am running UrukDroid, did not test on stock firmware.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:44 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I get to the grass unrolling, and right when the music starts it crashes every time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:57 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

After hours of play yesterday, it won't launch for me. Makes me so sad. Totally addicting game, and loved every minute of it, but now that it won't finish launching I just don't know what to say.

--- EDIT ---
I turned off the WiFi, and it launched perfectly for me, bluetooth is off too, just in case that makes a difference.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:04 pm 

Moved to Games section.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:50 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I got an Archos 101 8gb. I got it to work on stock firmware by doing the following:

1. Freed up about 232+ mb of my system storage (had to backup the .apk files using App 2 SD and uninstalled almost all apps I had). I can install them later when needed anyway. Basically only PVZ and the launcher are the installed apps. As long as there is about more than 200mb system storage available.
2. I used VTL or Zeam launcher (Having lesser home screen pages and widgets/icons helped free up memory. The stock launcher did not work for me.)
3. Closed all other apps (except the launcher) in System Monitor to free memory.
4. Removed the live wallpaper.
5. Turned off wifi and bluetooth.

Sometimes it still closes during the loading after the Popcap logo. But, most of the time it proceeds if you just remeber to clear up the running apps except the launcher using system monitor.

I already reached the night levels now.

ARCHOS should really increase the 250mb system storage limit. Is it that hard for them to just change this parameter in the firmware? Also probably have more support for memory swap file options to handle more memory. I bet a lot of people are pissed of that PVZ won't run. ARCHOS FIRMWARE DEVS, PLEASE FIX THIS. IF POSSIBLE, IN THE NEXT FIRMWARE UPDATE.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:41 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

:cry: PVZ doesn't work for me either. The requirements do say 200mb of ram needed. With better keyboard 8, advanced task killer and airplane mode on I can't get more than 150 mb free. Do I need to start moving apps onto my SD card? Usually I have 50-100 MB free.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:08 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

martilyo wrote:
:cry: PVZ doesn't work for me either. The requirements do say 200mb of ram needed. With better keyboard 8, advanced task killer and airplane mode on I can't get more than 150 mb free. Do I need to start moving apps onto my SD card? Usually I have 50-100 MB free.

Use Zeam launcher. Also remember to close all running apps EXCEPT zeam launcher. I just use system monitor. It's better to move apps to SD card too. I also tried running PVZ with only about 180mb system storage available. It still runs fine. I think the key to this is the memory. Check the settings->applications->running services. Try to force close any other services except the android keyboard. Also disable wifi, bluetooth, and live wallpaper. Hopefully you can get it to work. If it crashes, run it again. Sometimes it works the second time around.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:06 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I can't even seem to find zeam launcher. Have tried to find on Android Store and it says it doesn't exist. For me, the grass starts unrolling and then the app closes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:02 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I get that often, but I just start it up again. When it is really being pissy it will take about 5 times to get it going. But it will eventually start.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:27 pm 

ctlw83 wrote:
I can't even seem to find zeam launcher. Have tried to find on Android Store and it says it doesn't exist.

I think zeam is there, but it becomes hidden once they know you have a gen8 archos. If you can load it for another device somehow, you can transfer the apk. Or try another launcher.

Zeam was likely taken away due to crybabies (although the developer seems to have retired). There is a quirk where it displays some screens funny with archos softbuttons. Instead of the suggested workarounds in this forum, users probably whined to the developer, who cut off support as the easiest solution. This has happened to many good apps recently that don't like softbuttons. I just wish users wouldn't complain about tools that are, after all, freebies.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:42 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Here's the email response from Amazon : (Let me know if you had any success)

Dear -----------,

I'm sorry about the trouble you've experienced with the download of Plants vs. Zombies.

This app is not tablet-optimized, but will run on most Android tablet devices. Some pixelation may be visible during gameplay.

Please try the following troubleshooting:

1. Upgrade to the latest version of the Appstore. To install it, go to: www.amazon.com/appstoregetstarted

2. Make sure you are signed in with the Amazon account that you used to purchase the application.
Once you have the latest client installed, you will need to sign in. You can log in directly from the ÔÇ£WelcomeÔÇØ screen, or click the ÔÇ£Sign-inÔÇØ button on the homepage.

3. Refresh Your digital locker. Go to ÔÇ£My Apps.ÔÇØ From the Menu, click ÔÇ£Refresh.ÔÇØ This process may take several minutes. Once the refresh is complete, relaunch the application.

4. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the application. To uninstall the application, go to ÔÇ£Settings ," "Manage Applications,ÔÇØ and select the application that is not running, and click ÔÇ£uninstall.ÔÇØ

If you are still having problems, it would be easier to help you over the phone. Please call us for further assistance. We can be reached by phone directly and toll free by clicking the Contact Us option on our Help pages:

www.amazon.com/help/amazonappstore

Contacting us through the website allows you to verify security before a call is placed and ensures we have your account information ready when we call you. If youÔÇÖre unable to take advantage of the Contact Us feature, you can call us directly at 1-866-749-7771. Support for the Amazon Appstore is available between the hours of 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. PST, 7 days a week.

I hope this helps. Thanks for your interest in Amazon Appstore.

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/survey?p= ... IA97S&k=hy

If no, please click here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/survey?p= ... IA97S&k=hn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:03 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I found a way to get Zeam launcher running. I downloaded the APK and transferred it from my PC to my tablet. Zeam loaded perfectly. Still having problems with the game though. I also need to find the zeam settings to stop the background image from going to a static then active walllpaper etc. It seems to be rotating the images.

Actually PVZ is loading LESS under Zeam. But, I will keep trying anyway. Eventually we'll all find some sort of solution.

Oh well, off to work.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:43 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I finally got it running perfect using the above instructions. I'm using VTL launcher, close everything else in system monitor to where I have about 120mb free, then it usually loads the first time.
Pretty fun game. I think I'll like this one better than angry birds.