Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:11 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Apps to be WARY of!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:46 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I had an issue with ATK Advanced Task Killer Free. I know that this has worked for others. When I installed it, it forced reboot the device, and then caused my A70IT to do constant endless reboots!

I only had a couple of seconds between two reboot, to go very quickly to settings -> Applications -> ATK -> uninstall. And thank god I could do this, because otherwise I'd have to do a factory reset. :?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:03 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

OK so for what I have read the gogle voice seach is bad for the device. The problem I have now is I cant unistall it. If I go to my active tasks I can kill it but no option to get rid of it. Any advice?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:07 pm 

You must have an uninstall app?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:36 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I do but voice search does not appear there. every time I stop the service using a task killer the voice app keeps starting up in the background. I think this app came with the google apps install I got from the forum.

ANy ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:23 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Google sky completely froze my 101 twice before I uninstalled it. Only option was to hold down power button for 10 seconds to shut down. Too bad, I really water this app.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:37 am 

aarrodri wrote:
I do but voice search does not appear there. every time I stop the service using a task killer the voice app keeps starting up in the background. I think this app came with the google apps install I got from the forum.

ANy ideas?

Did you use the xda approach v5-final apk without using the zip that I think carried an optional voice? There is a sticky thread in the a70 section called something like stability issues that describes a way to be sure you have the generally accepted best but minimum marketplace package.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:13 am 

I'm getting a little suspicious of "sleep timer" which I use to stop radios from playing all night. I have it kill the wifi as well, but better uncheck that option because it is really hard to restart wifi the next day (multiple reboots to get rid of the "wifi error" mode). Maybe it is responsible for killing my calendar widget communication as well. It's documentation concedes it takes a somewhat desperate approach to forcing things to sleep without root authority. Tunein has it's own sleep or wakeup features.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:15 pm 

The new firmware avail now is supposed to fix google voice lockup problem - who is brave enough to test?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:37 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Should "Opera Mobile 10" web browser make this list?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:05 am 

Wow, google voice seems to work under the new firmware that claimed to fix that! Anyone else working ok - shall I take it off the list?

So cool to have it drive pandora radio by just speaking "listen to..." what you want to play. Or "map of..." or "go to..." a web page, or of course just search.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:00 am 

Sigh, I guess google voice still isn't totally harmless although is no longer disasterous. It seems to cause lag and stuttering and I can't seem to find it listed as running so I could kill it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:33 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

CR-VM wrote:
Should "Opera Mobile 10" web browser make this list?

I don't think it's destructive or something to be wary of. It just doesn't work. :)

However, Opera have announced that they will release a tablet-specific browser soon. Hopefully that will work fine in Gen8.

Personally I'm looking forward to that, since I'm using Opera on my desktops and mobile, and the Opera Link functionality works like a charm. Check labs.opera.com for updates. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:07 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

would be nice to have a sequence of touches/button presses to override frozen apps that don't allow the o/s to force close them from annoying everyone. 10 seconds to force a reboot is somewhat annoying. thankfully since my reinitialization, I haven't had apps freezing the o/s lately.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:54 am 
Archos User
Archos User

viking wrote:
Sigh, I guess google voice still isn't totally harmless although is no longer disasterous. It seems to cause lag and stuttering and I can't seem to find it listed as running so I could kill it.

Wait I thought the app in question was "Google Voice Search" Are you talking about "Google Voice" ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:06 am 

mscroggi wrote:
Wait I thought the app in question was "Google Voice Search" Are you talking about "Google Voice" ?

Correct. Sorry.

As posts age in this topic, they should be taken with less seriousness because not only the firmware updates keep coming, but also the app updates do. Those who have been burned won't likely keep testing new versions.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:46 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm another A70IT 8GB owner who used AVG Antivirus and had it wreak havoc on my device. It slowed everything down including loading apps, attaching USB to computer. My device kept freezing up when running a number of apps which didn't cause problems previously. In particular I couldn't play videos any longer, it kept returning to home screen, then home screen would be frozen. Since I just received the A70IT yesterday I was beginning to think it was a buggy device, but then on a hunch I uninstalled AVG and everything worked normally again.

FYI, FW 2.2.8 with Android 2.2.1, Board Version A70S-V6.
I used the v5-final (stable) according to Allen's newbie setup instructions to install Market.

-- Robert Baker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Why are you folks using an anti-virus program on Android? Android is Linux and to my knowledge Linux does not need an anti-virus. Linux/Unix viruses are extremely rare. I've used Linux for 14 years and have not needed an anti-virus program yet. Is there something wrong with Android that would cause it to need one or are you folks equating Android (Linux) to Windows?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

DROIDTV

This would be a great app if it worked. As it is, you can spend HOURS in a loop as it tries to initialize, informs you of a connection problem, and repeats.

"I am guessing you have an Archos. We have a problem with that tablet not reporting its connectivity status. We have an Archos 70 on order to work on the problem. I will let you know when we have a solution. If you have a different tablet, let me know.

Mike Mayfield
DroidTV Support"

I use it on my Droid 2 with no problems. I keep wondering if there is a way to just MOVE it (in the installed state) to the Archos.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:45 am 

Possibly Air Attack HD. Long story, possible different source of blame, but watch yourself with it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:13 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

viking wrote:
Possibly Air Attack HD. Long story, possible different source of blame, but watch yourself with it.

I have AirAttach HD Lite on my Archos 101. I've had no problems with it.