Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:44 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi everyone. First time to the forum year long archos user. I recently had Urukdroid 1.6.1 on my 70it and was having problems with it (all kinds of crashes and wireless wouldn't connect anymore). I decided to reinstall Urukdroid but this time put it on my internal storage instead of the SD. All went well and its working great now. The only thing is if I reboot with the SD card in it boots into the old Urukdroid. So I decided to format and delete the partitions using my windows 7 machine. Everything looks like it worked partitions are gone and it is now formatted. But when I unplug it and plug it back into my computer, to my surprise, everything is back. Like it had never been formatted or partitions deleted at all. Does anyone know what is causing this? I have tried multiple computers I even took my wife's Nook Color and tried formating the SD card using it. I am pulling my hair out, it really seems like some kind of security issue or a device that is R/O.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:18 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I think there is a partition on your SD card that Windows is not seeing. Do you have access to a Linux box where you could try formatting the card? If not, try running linux temporarily from a cd (#3 here: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:03 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

You don't a different OS just to format the card, in fact you're better off staying in Windows or Mac and using the SD Association's SD Formatter tool (I'm a long time Debian user so nobody should get the idea that this is some kind of aversion to GNU/Linux).

The SD Association is the body that creates the standards to which SD cards must adhere. They offer a card format tool which will work with any genuine SD card https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

Quote:
This software formats all SD memory cards, SDHC memory cards and SDXC memory cards. SD Formatter provides quick and easy access to the full capabilities of your SD, SDHC and SDXC memory cards.

The SD Formatter was created specifically for memory cards using the SD/SDHC/SDXC standards. It is strongly recommended to use the SD Formatter instead of formatting utilities provided with operating systems that format various types of storage media. Using generic formatting utilities may result in less than optimal performance for your memory cards.

The SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards have a "Protected Area" on the card for the SD standard's security function. The SD Formatter does not format the "Protected Area". Please use appropriate application software or SD-compatible device that provides SD security function to format the "Protected Area" in the memory card.

There is always the possibility that you have a fake SD card, i.e. it has a hacked partition table and/or firmware which misreports its size and speed rating; this would definitely make formatting it using built-in disk/format tools OS unreliable. Use the SD Association tool and if your card is standards compliant (genuine) and undamaged then it will work. If your card is damaged or fake you will soon know. Use the option "FULL (Erase)". It will take a while.

edit: btw I have used this tool successfully in Windows XP and it is very simple to use and reliable, so I'm recommending it from personal experience.